Fashion Advice

Options
Hey there everybody. I'd just like to ask for some help with fashion

I'm 18 almost 19 and thoughout my teenage years my mother alway though i dressed like a 30 year old woman. So botttom line is I never really looked that teenager-ish. Between my wieght and the way I dressed I had people asking if I wanted to sign up for credit cards when I was 14, if my mom was talking about her daughters they'd think I was the older one( she's 15 years older:brokenheart: )

So bottom line is that I want to look more like a teenager. I always been to scared because of my wieght( I do NOT look good in low rise). I started going to college this week and I saw girls TWICE my size looking more in fashion and teenagery.

Now I'm thinking what did I do with my life? Why was I so scared? So those of you that are teenagers or have teenage daughters.....where do you shop? I'd really like to know, going shopping will be my reward at 20 pounds( all my pants are too baggy)

PS: i'm a size 14, sometimes 12

Replies

• DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hey there everybody. I'd just like to ask for some help with fashion

I'm 18 almost 19 and thoughout my teenage years my mother alway though i dressed like a 30 year old woman. So botttom line is I never really looked that teenager-ish. Between my wieght and the way I dressed I had people asking if I wanted to sign up for credit cards when I was 14, if my mom was talking about her daughters they'd think I was the older one( she's 15 years older:brokenheart: )

So bottom line is that I want to look more like a teenager. I always been to scared because of my wieght( I do NOT look good in low rise). I started going to college this week and I saw girls TWICE my size looking more in fashion and teenagery.

Now I'm thinking what did I do with my life? Why was I so scared? So those of you that are teenagers or have teenage daughters.....where do you shop? I'd really like to know, going shopping will be my reward at 20 pounds( all my pants are too baggy)

PS: i'm a size 14, sometimes 12
  • curlhair
    Options
    depending on what kind of stores you have around you, you could shop at old navy. one of my favorite stores is torrid, it's a really trendy plus-size shop but you would definitely have to get the SMALLEST size (and even that might be too big)! target also has really cute clothes, and they're pretty inexpensive.

good luck! :) and WOW, 16 pounds lost! good for you!!!!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Try Deb: http://www.debshops.com/Fashion/ViewInCat.asp?catid=4 (hope this link works).

Anyway, there is an actual Deb store in the mall I visit often, but I don't go in there because even though they have many choices and styles in plus-size they are "too young" for me. (I'm 32 by the way).

Happy Shopping!
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    shop in junior departments. ur a 13 sumtimes 11 now. junior departments usually end at 13 or 15 but sumtimes go to 17 or 19 so you'll have plently of selection..why havent u started sooner?! lol jk. try on lots of brands and cuts of jeans, stay away from lei(runs really small and low) lean towards guess in department stores, target has good junior jeans, and old navy has jeans that you'll probably be more comfortable in, but try a trendy cut- skinny if ur feeling bold, straight for daily, and wide leg/trowser if u think you can pull it off(wear a high wedge and a tight top! to even out your frame) once you have a jean your comfortable in get cute tops, try stores like forever21, charolette russe, target, rave, steveandbarry's, mandy's..sometimes oldnavy. incorporate accessories like hoops and chunky bangles that clash with your outfit when your wearing a lot of your color-dont be too matchy matchy. experiment with your own style-- try tops/accessories in different styles and try on and try to think of ways you could wear interesting pieces like a blazer(very fitted) or a dress. now..the TEEN years are coming to an end so stay away from...shirts that say things on them!!!!!! (unless its a MUSTT have, wear sparingly and with accessories) and things with characters or please...LEGGINGS ARE OVER! (if u want the coverage, wear a thick tight) stay away from this tacky 13-16 yr old look by steering away from department store junior departments and stores like hot topic also stay away from stores like new york and company and even express (usually more expensive than stores aimed at our age group) because while they're hip, they're aimed towards the 25-40 crowd. when in doubt, get the higher heel, the lower cut top, the brighter colors. good luck have fun! hope it helps!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had a roommate in college who was over a size 14, and she ALWAYS was on top of fashion and always looked way better than most people we saw out! I do think she did a lot of her shopping online. (I've always been affriad of buying clothes w/o trying them on) but she never had a problem with it. Also, remember its all about how YOU wear the clothes. Doesn't matter what you throw on over that beautiful body, its about how you carry yourself. So even if you have fashony clothes, you def. have to feel confident in how you wear them!

old navy is also great, and express carries size 14 and i love thier clothes!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not in my teens or 20's anymore I try to keep up to date with the latest fashion out there so I would say leggings aren't over yet. Pair leggings with a tunic length sweather or shirt with some boots for winter. I stick with dark color leggings so they won't make my thighs look bigger. Also I agree with shopping at target for a good selection and decent prices.
    I would recemmend to wear something your comfortable in there's nothing worse then wearing something you feel self conscious about wearing. Just because it's the latest trend doesn't mean it's right for you.
    Have fun shopping:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    if you have an old navy near you, or a NY and Co, those have very cute stuff in bigger sizes. NY and Co is great for dressier clothes, but they also have jeans and comfy casual clothes too. I am not sure about Lane Bryant, I am around a 12-14 depending on the store and I think Lane Bryant might be a little too big, but you could always check it out and see if the smallest stuff fits.

I don't think low rise jeans looks good on ANYONE, so don't worry about that. Even the skinny girls, the jeans show off what little fat they do have and is very unflattering. It's also painful to see girls walking around hiking up their pants and obviously looking uncomfortable. I remember the summer that low rise was so popular and if you wanted jeans, it was about all you could find. I worked at a daycare at the time which required a lot of running around, and crawling and sitting on the floor, so me and this other girl always were sitting against the wall so we weren't showing all the toddlers our cra&%s

Try some jeans that fit comfortably at the waist and thighs and then flare out a little bit in a boot cut. Macy's has these jeans, I think their called American Raggirl or something like that, they are amazing. They fit like they were made for me. For some reason the 13 regular was way too big for me versus the 13 short (I figured the only difference should be length) so when I found two pairs (different color wash) in 13 short on my last shopping trip I bought them both.

Also make sure you're not buying your clothes TOO big. I think that is the one thing that can make someone who is a little bigger look older and out of fashion is by swimming in their clothes to hide imperfections. I think it actually makes us look bigger....buy clothes that fit, not too small but not too big. I think buying clothes that are too big can also give us the green light to gain more weight since they sometimes hide how much we have gained recently.

Check out some magazines and see what people your age are wearing, or take a friend shopping for some advice....and lastly, have fun!
  • runningdevil
    runningdevil Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of Old Navy. They have styles for every age & size, and the prices are great.
    Speaking from experience, may I also recommend taking a fashionable friend along with you? Let them pick out some clothes for you to try on, otherwise you might be stuck in a rut of buying the same type of clothes as before.
    Also, check out the book, "What You Wear Could Change Your Life" by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine, the British hosts of What Not To Wear. It's a great guide to looking good no matter what your age, size, or body type! [Those Brits always dress better anyway! LOL!]
    Good luck!!!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Invite a couple of your girlfriends out for a day of shopping.... Tell them you've decided to do a complete fashion make-over and ask them if they'll help. Make a day of it. Head to the mall, try on tons of stuff and have fun. Choose things that make you feel attractive and young. Experiment and don't be afraid to be different.

If you are in a size 12/14 you don't have to shop at plus size stores. You can shop in Juniors and Misses. some of the more standard shops are Limited, Gap, Old Navy , NY and Co, and I think Penney's carries some cute juniors clothes.

You might also find out where the small boutique type shops are in your town and visit them. All of my best finds come from stores that are not national chains. They usually have more unique items and you get more personal attention. The sales people can usually help you put together a look.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody!!!
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    Here are a few more places I find young things....
    Old Navy
    Reitmans
    Warehouse One
    Believe it or not...Wal Mart. :laugh: :laugh:

I'm a 12 or 14 myself and try to keep up on the latest fashions....all of the above work for me.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    the advice that was pounded in my cabasa by my bestest buddy who happens to be the will to my grace is find clothes that flatter your body. Drop money on good jeans, trust in this the cut and material will work for you. black is a goto that looks classy and sty;ish no matter what. I would never encourage the current trashy trends to any young girl but some are cute longer tank tops make you look thin and tall. layer them with a slighty higher shirt to add some balance. Capris and bermudas are great now and dont make you look out of place. Avoid wedge and big platform heels they shrink and pudge out the leg. white that fits only...hmmm this advice can be used on anyone really..but best of luck
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    do you have a fashion bug or a cato's or a lane bryant??

Also, watch , what not to wear.....

I used to dress frumpy

but honestly, after loosing a bunch of weight in the past, I like the frilly stuff.