Need food advice

Options
Ok, I'll be completely honest here, I'm going to start a 21 day fast on February 7th with my church and will continue it through the rest of the month. The fast is a religious choice for me, I know that fasting isn't great for your body and I wouldn't ever reccomend fasting to someone to start a weight loss program.

With the fasting choice I've decided on I will be fasting for 2 out of the 3 meals of the day. I will not have any breakfast, lunch or any snacks and will only have dinner each night. When I am able to eat for the day I can't gorge myself at my one meal and it has to be healthy items, high protein but they also want me to focus on eating plenty of fruits and veggies during that time as well.

I know it's important to hit at least 1200 calories in a day and while for one meal that is a huge amount, I still want to try to have a higher calorie meal so my body doesn't go into stravation mode. I will be drinking tons of water through out the day to keep myself hydrated.

So my question for you guys is, I would love some food advice, some higher calorie, but high protein, iron, etc meals that I can make for my one meal. What foods do you love that would be a great choice for me during this period of time?

And I also ask that you refrain from bashing my choice, name calling, and pretty much telling me I'm stupid for making this decision. Like I said, I'm doing it for personal and religious reasons, so please respect that. Thanks so much!

Replies

• losterhout
    losterhout Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fasting is your choice so don't feel bad about it. It can be done in a healthy way, and it sounds like that is your goal.

Avocados are a great choice - they are high in calories and good fats, and they taste great. You could also get a calorie boost by adding dried fruits and healthy nuts to a batch of couscous or to an indian or moroccan chicken dish. You are probably going to be fine with any lean protein. Dairy is also a way to get good calories - drink a glass of milk or have a serving or two of cheese with your dinner as well.

Good luck with everything!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Thanks for the avacado advice. I'll definitely give them a try. :)
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    JENN IF YOU FEEL THE CALL TO FAST FOR SPIRITUAL REASONS DON'T GIVE INTO FEAR, THAT WOULD BE WORSE THEN FAILING TO FOLLOW YOUR LEAD TO FAST. THE GOD YOUR FASTING FOR IS THE SAME GOD THAT IS GOING TO SUSTAIN YOUR BODY AND KEEP YOU SAFE THROUGH THIS TIME. KEEP UP THE FAITH YOU WILL SEE GOD DOING HIS PART WHEN YOU ARE PUTTING HIM FIRST!