Xbox 360 Kinect workout

Options
As crazy as it sounds...my motivation that got me started working out (besides an upcoming trip) was using the new Kinect feature for the Xbox 360. I tried it at my kids dads house and was immediately hooked! Since your body is the remote (no holding of any remote while playing the Kinect games)...you have to really move to work the game or do good! I have since purchased my own along with Your Shape Fitness Evolved which I love. It has a personal training section, games and fitness which has Zen, Cardio boxing and I've since downloaded Bollywood. In the past week I have bought the Zumba game and LOVE it! I can't wait to get home so I can workout, which is awesome, cause I was always the person who was to busy to fit any kind of working out into my schedule. But aside from the workout games, the dancing game Dance Central and the sports games give you a very good workout as well.

I just wanted to share my experience with this game in case anyone was intrested/curious!

Replies

• HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm currently putting together a case for why we need the Kinect for my husband. I've heard mixed reviews about the Zumba, so I'm glad you're enjoying it!
  • Talliexxx
    Options
    I also use the kinect for fitness its amazing. I use the your shape too and have also downloaded the bollywood workout.Its so motivating and means you look forward too your workout and always manage to fit it into your day.I love dance central too!! I am yet to buy zumba but that is my next purchase.Is the zumba easy to follow? x
  • Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Funny you should say this, because in some ways getting the Kinect at our house really spurred me to get my butt moving also. And I absolutely love it. I play the sports and adventure games with my son. I've used my HRM for things like 'Reflex Ridge' and had an amazing workout. Then we got Your Shape: Fitness Evolved like you mentioned, and I like it too. So far,I've only done some cardio boxing and a few of the zen workouts. I have yet to do the personal training. But I got it on sale, so I figure I can purchase some extra workouts and still be at the same price.

To the previous poster, keep lobbying for the Kinect. It's awesome!
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I feel that it is! I never went through the tutorial faze and jumped right into it! The moves are enough to go through that you'll eventually catch on! Give it a try...I'm sure if you like ance Central you'll love it! Keep me posted!
  • ZumbaTriad
    ZumbaTriad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The Your Shape Fitness drives me crazy because it seems like I'm always stuck in tutorial mode and I just want to go! Another downside for me is that only one person can do it at a time and my husband and son would like to do it as well. I understand it's personalized, but I wish there was just a general circuit that anyone could to together.

I do have Zumba for Kinect, but I'm a little biased on that one. I think it's a great workout, but not nearly as fun as live classes, so I find myself not interested in it. However ... love, love, love Dance Central! It is an awesome workout and the kids love to join me!
  • HMKan
    Options
    Ok, so are most of these games multi-player. I think the Dance one (that they advertise on tv all the time) is single-player. That's ok I think, but I don't even like my husband watching my ridiculous movements when we do wii fit together (one at a time). I'll get over that. But the rest, are they multi player? What other selling points to the fitness games have? Does the kinect really grasp all your movements and accurately tell calories, etc.? I'm super stoked about getting one, but I know my argument for it will be that I'll use it to get healthy, so I'd better be able to back that up before I convince the hubs.
  • girl_brett
    Options
    I think it's pretty accurate..there again it's technology so it might have a little glitch! The Your Shape has multi-player up to 4 in the fitness games, which has block smashing, hula hoop, light race and one other game that I can't remember the name. In the other areas it only allows one, but that's because it keeps track of everything you do...whether you've passed the recommened part or not...it does want to make sure you have the hang of it before moving you into and actual workout. But it sets calorie goals for you and keeps track of it per day/for different work out areas and since you've started. Like I have burned some 2,100 calories. When you are personal training it makes sure you are doing it right and if you're not you don't get credit for it...you have to be in rythym with your instructor! I love it though!

Zumba allows multi-player and I've had my mom and a friend over to join in! The Dance Central you can do multi-player it's called dance battle which me and my kids love to do! The more you are in synch doing the right moves the higher a score you get. The battles go through 2 rounds of dance! The other games I beleive are all atleast 2 player as well. I like the track and feild where you go through 5 events...a sprint, javelin throw, long jump, discus throe and hurdles! Very competitive.

You just have to be sure you have enough room to play, cause you need space! I would totally recommend it though!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I use kinect too...but i wear a hrm because the one on Your Shape is WAY off...I burn the most doing Dance Central though, because I don't mind playing for an hour lol.
  • HMKan
    Options
    Thanks, If you think of anything else let me know. This is super helpful info.
  • girl_brett
    Options
    WOW! Good to know that you burn the most on Dance Central! So a HRM you would reccommend for more accuracy? I will have to look into that!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I love the Kinect! My cousin (who is 4 years older than I am) said that Kinect Adventures should come with a warning for anyone over 25 to stretch before playing. She was sore the next day after playing for about 30 min! The Relay Ridge is a fantastic workout!

I really want to get the Zumba game, but I keep hearing bad reviews on Amazon, so I guess I'm waiting until they release the next version or an update patch. :-/
  • girl_brett
    Options
    For me not ever even seeing Zumba before or trying it it's great...maybe for a seasoned person that has been going to classes they won't like it! But it gets me moving and sweating so how is that a bad thing? I think its a win, win!
  • beano25
    beano25 Posts: 10
    Options
    it is very good, i have EA sports active 2 and it really pushes you to the limit ! you also get a HRM so its very accurate. A thumbs up from me !!!! :-)
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    Another Kinect user, (Your Shape Fitness Evolved)
    Starting to use the weights on some of the games to boot.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    For me not ever even seeing Zumba before or trying it it's great...maybe for a seasoned person that has been going to classes they won't like it! But it gets me moving and sweating so how is that a bad thing? I think its a win, win!

No comment on how alike/dislike it is to a live Zumba class, I've only been to one or two.
    However, I read online review about a month ago and a lot of people reported game-stopping defects, like Kinect would log you out when you did spins because you're not facing the sensor, or the sensor didn't track movement accurately. Glad to hear these don't seem to be affecting your game play! I'll have to reconsider buying!
  • girl_brett
    Options
    Yes I've never had issues with the game stopping! If you walk away from the game then it takes you to the menu and then when you get back on ask if you want to resume.

I just did the Dace Central workout part tonight, cause I never realized it was there and LOVED it!
  • SocaCanzTan
    SocaCanzTan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am using it. The Your Shape: fitness evolved is a great motivator...in the comfort of my own home and at my leisure, I can get FIT!!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how to do both dance central and your shape 6 days a week...should I alternate? or should I do 30 minutes of each? I mean I really like them both, I just want total fitness...
  • apertuis
    apertuis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love the Kinect. I have Dance Central and it is awesome. My hubby has the Kinect Sports and it's given me a great workout. It has several different games (bowling & boxing are my favs) that left me sore the day after :) When we got it we talked to the salesman at Game Stop who told us that it was the best sports game they have. Does your hubby like sports? Maybe you could use that as a selling point. I've convinced the hubby to get me Kinect Zumba for V-day. I've also read mixed reviews, but I'm seeing more positive starting to come out now.
  • garden_girl18
    garden_girl18 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Kinect! I have the Dance Central, and have actually played it for hours on end without even noticing that I'm working out. I've recently bought Your Shape, and really enjoy the boxing work out. I would love to get the Zumba game, however it's sooo popular that it's been impossible to find. Amazon has it for sale for almost twice the price as it is in stores :sad:

Does anyone on here take Zumba classes? I have been for just over a month now, and love it. I'm hoping someone will be able to give a comparison of the game to the actual class. I live about 20-25 minutes away from where the Zumba classes are offered and would like to be able to just play the Zumba game on the Xbox. Any thoughts?