Chía seeds.... Fiberrrrrr and more

Options
Yesterday I posted information about Nopalina, a MFP friend mentioned the Chía seeds which I knew about them, I just didn't know all the benefits from it, so here it is.

Advantages of the Chia Seed
• Chia seed is the biggest vegetable source for Omega-3.
• It has antioxidants, proteins, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and fiber.
• It provides vegans with very important proteins.
• It is Gluten free.
• Can be eaten by themselves or with other foods.
• It is natural.
• It is tasteless and odorless.
• Provides energy.
• Helps to control Cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
• Helps with digestion, and has helps you feel full for a long period of time.
• Helps to control appetite.
• Helps to improve the cardiovascular health.
• Helps with the nervous and immune system.
• Helps with muscle development and tissue regeneration.
• Helps improve brain activities and emotions.
• Helps to control blood sugar levels. It has benefits for the diabetes.
• It is low in sodium.
• Can be eaten by people of all ages.

Properties of the seed
• 700% more Omega-3 than salmon forom the Atlantic.
• 100% more fiber than most cereal.
• 800% more phosphorus than whole milk.
• 500% more calcium than milk.
• 1400% more magnesium than broccoli.
• 100% more potassium than bananas.
• 200% more iron than spinach.
• 300% more selenium than flax.
• It has a satisfying effect.
• It has more antioxidants than blueberries.
• Provides all essential amino acids.
• Is the vegetable with the highest content of Omega-3

Replies

• YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Sorry if some lines sound a lil but weird, I just had to translate that to english since the information I found was in spanish and I liked the way it was written.
  • lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have chia seeds every morning. He found out about them, and all their wonderful benefits! They're awesome!
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I have never heard of Chia seeds but will definitely be looking into them now! Thanks for posting.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Hmmm I just found this online. Possible side effects of Chia seeds. More like side effects, I would say normal effects of it that people who suffer from certain medical conditions or are taking other stuff should be aware of before having the seeds.

Chia seeds are recommended for alternative treatment of cancer. It boosts your energy level and provides essential nutrients in your body which help in cancer treatments. Chia seeds are good but at the same time there are some side effects of these seeds. It can lower the blood pressure in your body, especially, if you are someone in upper age group, be careful as Chia seeds are capable of lowering the pressure of the blood to the dangerous level. This seed is a great source of vitamin B-17. If you are from a regimen of B-17, then you should be cautious before taking the seeds. You may overload your body system with phytonutrients. If you have reactions when you eat Chia seeds or any product which contains Chia seeds, then you must avoid Chia seeds completely. People who are suffering with heart problems must avoid these seeds as it has addictive effects on its users. People who take blood thinners like warfarin should exclude this from their diet as Chia seeds increases the risk for bleeding. It may be allergic and the reason behind this is that it is the member of the salvia genus. Overdose of Chia should be avoided as it can be harmful for you.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    My husband and I both have chia seeds every morning. He found out about them, and all their wonderful benefits! They're awesome!

That's great! I started today :)
    I have never heard of Chia seeds but will definitely be looking into them now! Thanks for posting.

You're welcome
  • DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are these the same Chia seeds that are smeared on clay Chia Pets?
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the info! I eat flaxseed every day for the fiber and omega3's.....sounds like chia seeds would be an even better option. How do you use them? Do you have to grind them like flaxseed? Mix them into food?

I can't wait for my bulk food run this week! :)
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey allie--

To answer your question...

You can buy Chia in either its whole form, the seed, or already ground up. I prefer the seeds because they tend to keep longer, and I think they're more versatile. Here is a simple recipe I use when I make chia. It's like tapioca pudding, so if you enjoy that consistency, then this is right up your alley!

3/4 cup chia seeds
    2 cups almond milk
    Tiny dash salt
    Stevia and vanilla extract to taste
    Simply mix the ingredients together, and let them rest for a few moments. Stir the mix well with a fork every five minutes or so. At first, it’ll seem far too liquidy, but over the course of thirty minutes the chia seeds will plump up.

Also, my only other recommendation would be to start slow with Chia. Because of its amazing fiber it can give you a bit of tummy troubles if you eat more than a two tablespoons or so your first couple times. Increase slowly, and you'll be golden!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey allie--

To answer your question...

You can buy Chia in either its whole form, the seed, or already ground up. I prefer the seeds because they tend to keep longer, and I think they're more versatile. Here is a simple recipe I use when I make chia. It's like tapioca pudding, so if you enjoy that consistency, then this is right up your alley!

3/4 cup chia seeds
    2 cups almond milk
    Tiny dash salt
    Stevia and vanilla extract to taste
    Simply mix the ingredients together, and let them rest for a few moments. Stir the mix well with a fork every five minutes or so. At first, it’ll seem far too liquidy, but over the course of thirty minutes the chia seeds will plump up.

Also, my only other recommendation would be to start slow with Chia. Because of its amazing fiber it can give you a bit of tummy troubles if you eat more than a two tablespoons or so your first couple times. Increase slowly, and you'll be golden!
    Thank you!!! Sounds yummy :)
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention--that recipe is 4 servings :) Also, a little dash of cinnamon is very tasty in it, too!
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    DesertCowgirl, honestly I have no idea =\

Allie, online there are different recipes, I started eating them today, the whole seed, raw. I ate half tbsp plain and half with my peanut butter lol

They do add to the calorie count, so make sure if you're keeping track of your calories, to add them to your list.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of these suckers! I'm gonna have to take a look.. (Yass-- the "good morning chia seeds" on FB, I totally thought was a joke LOL)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    These sound very interesting. I will have to give them a try. Are they in the food database already?
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are these the same Chia seeds that are smeared on clay Chia Pets?

LMAO!!!! You know, they kinda look like it, google them!
  • cataplexyfever
    Options
    Today my snack was greek yogurt with strawberries, pineapple, and 2 tbsp of chia. I love putting them in things like yogurt or oatmeal because they just gel up and blend right in; you don't notice the texture at all. I've added them to chicken and tuna salad before also.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
  • cataplexyfever
    Options
    These sound very interesting. I will have to give them a try. Are they in the food database already?

I added both the Chialife and Spectrum Essentials brand chia seeds to the database; those are the ones I use. But the nutritional content varies from brand to brand. You'll probably want to use a specific entry.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I use Chia too. I love it in my oatmeal and yogurt. I sneak it into muffin batter too but husband finds out and gets annoyed. Oh well, can't win them all, right? ;)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    I guess I will have to see what is available to me here in Canada. I found an online retailer who sells at what seems like a not too bad price with free shipping in Canada. I want to try a smaller amount first to see what I think of them. Off to the bulk store I guess to see what they have.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I've never heard of these suckers! I'm gonna have to take a look.. (Yass-- the "good morning chia seeds" on FB, I totally thought was a joke LOL)

LOL nope, it wasn't a joke :P I was going to say "good morning J" but you didn't help me with my fiber today :P hahahaaaa