Why does milk make me sick?

Options
If I have it first thing in the morning or if I have it by itself it makes my stomach hurt like right now (yeah im a loser eating my cereal at the PC haha). I always have to eat something when I drink milk or it hurts my stomach. Anyone else have this prob?

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    If I have it first thing in the morning or if I have it by itself it makes my stomach hurt like right now (yeah im a loser eating my cereal at the PC haha). I always have to eat something when I drink milk or it hurts my stomach. Anyone else have this prob?
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a glass of soy, almond, or rice milk, If your stomach feels OK afterward I would begin eating that with my cereal instead. Sounds to me like you could be lactose intolerant or allegic to the milk or something added to it. I am not a professional but I do have a daughter who has the same issue.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Yeah, its pretty normal to be lactose intollerant. I only have problems if I eat heavy dairy products, like ice cream or whole whipped cream, and certain cheeses. For some reason I'm fine with FF milk and yogurt. Go figure! Soy milk is a good substitute for your cereal. It will take a few days to get used to it, but the low fat kind is nutricious!
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    yeah with like 3% milk it really hurts. I buy 0% skim milk.. that usually doesnt hurt me but today it sure did.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Or get some Lactaid and take it when you drink milk. If you're lactose intolerant it helps digest the lactose enzyme that causes the problems. :)
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    YA THATS WHAT I WAS GONNA YOU PROBABLY HAVE A INTOLERANCE TO MILK, ANY OTHER SYPTOMS SUCH AS LOOSE STOOLS OR ANYTHING???
    I WOULD GO WITH SOY OR SOMTHING DIFFERENT

]20033.png[/url]
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its pretty normal to be lactose intollerant. I only have problems if I eat heavy dairy products, like ice cream or whole whipped cream, and certain cheeses. For some reason I'm fine with FF milk and yogurt. Go figure! Soy milk is a good substitute for your cereal. It will take a few days to get used to it, but the low fat kind is nutricious!

Same thing w/ me. I can handle yogurt and cottage cheese but can NOT drink regular milk. Soymilk and almond milk are good choices, you can buy the light or non-sweetened versions also. My 7yo dd is the same way, she gets severe tummy aches from milk!

Jess
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I am not lactose intolerant. I just can't have milk as the first thing in my stomach. I have to eat something and then have milk or just have milk later in the day. I can drink a glass of milk, eat cheese and ice cream and none of these things affect me so I know I am not lactose intolerant. I am not sure what causes it and I thought I was the only person who had the problem. I thought I was weird. :laugh:
  • kris2600
    Options
    You aren't pregnant right? I know that I couldn't drink milk when I was pregnant with my first girl:flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    I have the same problem and I am not lactose intolerant. I just can't have milk as the first thing in my stomach. I have to eat something and then have milk or just have milk later in the day. I can drink a glass of milk, eat cheese and ice cream and none of these things affect me so I know I am not lactose intolerant. I am not sure what causes it and I thought I was the only person who had the problem. I thought I was weird. :laugh:

This is exactly like me. I cant have it too early or OUCH! haha
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    You aren't pregnant right? I know that I couldn't drink milk when I was pregnant with my first girl:flowerforyou:

Not not pregnant haha :tongue:
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Yup, me too. Sometimes, too, I'll want a glass in the afternoon, and I have about a 50/50 chance of it bothering me then, too.

Ange
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options

This is exactly like me. I cant have it too early or OUCH! haha

If I have milk as the first thing I eat or drink, my stomach hurts until about lunch time. Even if I eat right after I drink the milk, it doesn't help. I wonder why that is as well. I guess it is just one of the weird things in life we are dealt with. :grumble:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    My wife has the same issue, but finds that raw milk doesn't bother her at all. Raw milk is whole milk however, there are no reduced fat versions.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    a good way to see if you are lactose intolerant: if you drink goat's milk and have no problems, then drink regular milk and have issues, most likely you are. goat's milk doesn't have lactose...tada!!!!

but, it has a sorta musky tase that taste some time to get used to....just try it, i actually prefer it or soy milk now....
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    a good way to see if you are lactose intolerant: if you drink goat's milk and have no problems, then drink regular milk and have issues, most likely you are. goat's milk doesn't have lactose...tada!!!!

but, it has a sorta musky tase that taste some time to get used to....just try it, i actually prefer it or soy milk now....

....taste that takes....lol
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Can't have milk - lactose intolerant. Also: I was reading a few months back that milk has a lot of sugar in it, so if you are sugar sensitive it can be an issue. I am both lactose intolerant and sugar sensitive, so soy milk seems fine for me. It even comes as "vanilla" if you want a bit sweeter taste. Best of luck!!! :drinker: bottom's up
  • Carrie6o6
    Options

I dont know if I could stomach goats milk mentally.. Thats just gross! Even if I think about where cows milk comes from it kinda grosses me out. but ive grown up with it so its normal.. but goats :sick: I dont think i could bring myself to try it haha
  • kimarm
    kimarm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had UC for 19 years and dairy is a definate trigger. I've had better luck with FF milk and lots of other UCers have said they have had luck with goat's milk. Try the elimination of all dairy and slowly add it back in. Once a week, twice a week, to determine if there is a tolerance level. Just a suggestion, good luck. I'm a cereal junkie and it's just not as fun (sometimes) without milk.
    Good Luck
    Arm
    :smile:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerance most likely. Which I JUST read is less common than you would think. It means your body cant digest the milk sugar enzymes buy lactaid or get the lactaid pills it helps produce the enzyme to digest the milk sugar