sushi nutritional information

Options
So I LOVE sushi and my gift to myself for reaching my first weight goal is to go have some sushi. But I don't want my little night of good eating to spoil all of my hard work. So I was curious if anyone had any type of nutritional information about sushi. I tend to eat a bowl of miso soup, a spider roll (a california roll with tempura soft shell crab and eel sauce), an ecstasy roll (has spicy crab and spicy tuna in it with another type of sauce), and a 911 roll (spicy crab with tempera crumps and eel sauce). Any information at all I would really appreciate. Thanks guys!

Replies

• cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I rely on this:

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

Also, one meal will not spoil all your hard work....this is a marathon and a lifestyle change. If you expect yourself to be perfect every single day you're setting yourself up for failure. Enjoy your delicious fishies and don't sweat it!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Don't look it up. Just go and enjoy it. You'll be surprised how many calories are in sushi.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have this website..

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

or

fitsugar.com/sushi-breakdown-314740

Sushi is pretty "bad" for you. If anything stay away from the tempura stuff since that is all fried goodness.

The biggest issue with sushi is the salt intake. A california roll (the simple of its kind) is 361 calories (about) with 637mg of sodium...this is one roll, so six pieces. A tempura roll has about 531 calories and 1152 mg of sodium...so that almost doubles.

I love sushi too but its one of those items which I have to be REALLY careful about.
  • suzyteddy
    Options
    Skip the tempura and you will be fine!
  • Manda1987
    Options
    Yeah, seriously, don't look it up. That's how I ruined sushi for myself for months. Here's what I found in my research:

Anything "spicy" is high in calories (contains mayo)

Anything tempura is high in calories (deep-fried)

Anything with avocado is high in calories (avocados are high in fats)

ANYTHING FUN IS HIGH IN CALORIES :'(

Pretty much, the only "safe" things to eat are plain old "fish on rice". So don't spoil it for yourself by counting the calories. Enjoy, eat moderately, go for a walk after and you'll be fine.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    whether you look it up or not Drink lots of water because the sodium is ridiculous. I always swell up like the michelin man after japanese. I have been craving shrimp tempura lately think I might be getting that tomorrow night. Hmmmmm Hmmmm 1 roll (total) is 544 for shrimp tempura You usually get 6 in an order so 6 equals 544 and 3 equals 272
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    Sushi, the purist sushi, is really not bad for you. The nigiri kind (raw fish on mound of rice) is meager in calories compared to rolls. Tuna nigiri is about 60 calories/ 2 pieces, salmon nigiri is about 68 calories/ 2 pieces. Or if you want to be more adventurous, you can get sashimi and a side of 1 bowl of brown rice. A 6-piece sashimi is about 132 - 150 calories. Cup of rice ~ 170 calories, give or take. Side of agedashi dofu - 210 calories. Side of soft tofu - 61 calories.

If you stay clear of rolls and anything fried then you should be okay.

Remember, Japan does not have an obesity problem.
  • sweetgl
    sweetgl Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sushi is actually pretty healthy for you. (example: sushi veggie roll is only 140 cals, 3.5 fats, and 3 fibers per four pieces) You can always ask for brown rice instead of white too to add fiber and make it a little more healthy and just dont get anything fried in it. Dont necessarily avoid the avocado too... it is high in fat and cals ( but it is a very good kind of fat) so it is very healthy for you in moderation! :)

Calorieking.com is a great site for looking up calories for any kind of food including take out foods and packaged foods i use it all the time It also has the nutritional information on all kinds of sushi. :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Just eat it that night. Enjoy the heck out of it and the next day get right back to your plan. Every plan has to have a little wiggle room.