confused

Options
Ok guys need a little help understanding. My BMR is 1,714 so I choose the 2lb per week loss and I'm able to eat 1,200 calories per day. witch leave 514 calories x 7 equal to 3,598 witch is little over 1 lbs, but i exercise over 1,000 additional calories per day. would that add to faster weight loss?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    when you log your exercise MFP should adjust your calorie goal to account for what you burned.

There is a debate on here about whether or not to eat those calories. I do. Others do. Some eat half. Others don't. Since you are at 1200 to start I would say eat at least half so that your NET intake is 1,200. When you burn calories that is subtracting. Your body needs fuel for those workouts.

Does that help?
  • tompetty
    tompetty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories and burning 1000 calories a day would mean you net only 200 calories-- this won't be enough for your body to run on.

However, in general yes-- if you burn extra calories, it will result in faster weight loss. Just make sure you keep a healthy balance. :) Good luck!!
  • paul977
    Options
    yes it does adjust. I do eat some. I seem to always have around 1,000-1,100 left after the day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok guys need a little help understanding. My BMR is 1,714 so I choose the 2lb per week loss and I'm able to eat 1,200 calories per day. witch leave 514 calories x 7 equal to 3,598 witch is little over 1 lbs, but i exercise over 1,000 additional calories per day. would that add to faster weight loss?

Your caloric deficit is not the difference between BMR and 1200 cals it is the difference between your maintenance calories (BMR + an activity amount). Go to your home then click goals on the right side it should say you burn this amount from regular daily activity, it is this number that is used to calculate your caloric deficit. that being said MFP will not allow you to go below 1200 cals/day, as it is next to impossible to get the required nutrition on a diet consisting of less than 1200.

That being said a man should not eat less than 1500 or so calories Net. 1500 plus exercise calories. eating too little will cause your body to burn muscle instead of or along with fat as fuel, something you don't want to do. Eat all the cals that MFP gives you, included exercise cals in order to ensure you are losing as little muscle as possible.
  • shalbert
    Options
    Be careful. I've lost 10lbs in the month of January by follwoing the 1200 calorie a day thing. I haven't gone over 1200 but maybe one day. I also have been working out. Towards the end of January I got to where I was working out pretty good about 4 times a week and burning between 700 and 800 calories. Im kinda athletic so I was getting into it pretty good again. I do 30 min on eliptical/30 min on treadmill and 30 min on a stationary bike(I get bored quickly on just one). Anyway, I was not hungry after working out and could not eat to make up those calories. Big mistake! I passed clean out yesterday. When they say don't go below 1200, they kinda mean it. Don't try to lose to fast. I really wasn't trying to lose fast, just the workouts were making me feel pretty good, I just have to eat more to be able to do that.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    yes- what Erick said. I always get that crap mixed up. Either way- 1,000 cals left over sounds like a lot and I would worry about nutrition, long term maintainability and actual success at that rate.
  • paul977
    Options
    ok guys I think I got it.. thanks for everyones help
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    ok guys I think I got it.. gonna adjust a little was looking to lose 3lbs per week,

Unless you have a LOT of weight to lose (like over 300 pounds) a goal of 3 lbs per week is too much. Depending on how much you have to lose, 1 lb per week to 1.5 (maaaaybe 2, but like I said only if you have a lot) is the safest. If you try to lose too much too quickly, you'll likely do more damage than good, like lose muscle, end up with saggy skin, and/or end up gaining it all back plus some because you body cannot sustain the dramatic weight loss.

Even with a goal of 1lb per week you can still lose more. Some weeks I lose 2-3, some I stay steady at 1....but the thing to rememember is, slow and steady wins the race. It may sound really slow, but with each pound you'll notice you look and feel a lot better, so your body will transform a lot quicker than you think. You didn't gain it all in one day so you cannot lose it all in one day.
  • stmaurice
    stmaurice Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree. There's weight loss in the immediate, but there's also sustainable life changes that will play a much bigger role in your future weight and health. Be patient; you'll loose weight slowly, and keep it off too. It's not a race.