Starting Zumba

Options
:smile: I am getting ready to start the Zumba workout beginning next week. I have been working out for two weeks now, but I am starting to get bored with the same routines every day. I've heard that Zumba is fun and works really good...does anyone know if this is true? I used to love to dance, so that won't be a problem...I just want something that will be interesting and stay interesting and FUN! Any comments are gladly welcomed!

Replies

• Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i swear by it. live classes are a riot! highly recommend it to anyone. :happy:
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I also had been doing home workouts for 2 weeks and needed something extra so I started doing Zumba at a fitness center. It is SOOOO fun! I even have added a muscle fusion class there as well. Good luck!!!
  • angelbabe77
    angelbabe77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba I take a class and it is sooo much fun. Good luck hop you like it as much as I do
  • jrdelan
    Options
    I absolutely love zumba, i do it on my own at home at least 30 mins a day as part of my routine. I dont get bored with it because there are so many different song options to chose from. It gives you a really good cardio workout, i burn about 300 calories ever half hour.
  • cjbribri2
    Options
    Hi.,

I started the Zumba game this week and it is ok. I don't have much rythym but it is fun. I do it in the mornings and then do my other work outs at night.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like it. i started it like 2 weeks ago and i've done it like twice a week. i am uncoordinated so most of the time i just feel like im not being effective but i just keep moving.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I bought the DVD set, should get it today and I can't wait! Good luck, I'm not coordinated enough to do it in public.....
  • Blr31977
    Options
    I've been doing zumba on my xbox kinect for three weeks... Love it! i try to do it every other day for minimum 60 minutes. It's so much fun I actually look forward to it.. I started dieting and watching my calorie intake as well and I've actually lost 12lbs in a month. I think you're gonna love it. Get ready to sweat and learn new moves... it's the best thing ever.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I took Zumba class at my club and LOVED it. The first time I felt like a dork. I am very cordinated and love to dance too! BUT learning all the latin dances were new to me. I gave it a second try although I though about not ever going again. I got about 60% of the moves the second time and it gets easier as you go.

So the important part is don't stop. When you can do all the moves really good then you can really "work it" and burn more calories or FAT!!! Have fun! :):flowerforyou:
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Zumba videos at home for 2 weeks and I like them alot. Great energy in the video and the songs are easy to dance to.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on the Wii for the last few weeks and tonight is my first live Zumba class (SQUEAL!!). If you're a good dancer, you'll have no problem. I have no rhythm and probably will look like a spazz out there, but I finish my 20 & 40 minute routines covered in sweat and feeling amazing. I can't wait to try for a whole hour tonight! I've been told that no one even pays attention to anyone else because they're so busy getting the moves right themselves, and worried other people are looking at them!

Have fun! It's an amazing workout. I just wish my HRM wasn't a POS so I could know what I actually burn tonight.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it! I have been trying several different fitness centers to go to Zumba. I'm going tonight actually! LOL!
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    Zumba is awesome! Am a Zumba instructor now, and that is basically how I've lost my weight (alongside keeping an eye on what goes in the mouth). If you can, go to classes, as I guess the DVD's will get boring for you after a while. Zumba is good in the way that you can take it at your own pace - my class consists mainly of women in their 40's-50's, and they've learned to do what they can, some do higher impact stuff and some just do lower, depending on their physical abilities.

Hope you have fun, if you love dancing you should love Zumba!
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a really great and fun workout. It has been a part of my routine since last spring.

If you go to a class, a good instructor will keep some of the same songs week after week (so you can get comfortable with the routines) but they will also add in a few new songs so you don't get bored. You'll be sweating it out in no time and have fun doing it!

If you start to go on a regular basis I highly recommend getting a pair of dance tennis shoes. It allows you to move more freely especially if you are on a hard wood surface. I got a pair of Ryka's from zappos that allow me to really move and shake :)

Enjoy!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Zumba is insanely fun!! I have been going to classes for a few weeks now and am completely in love with it. It never feels like exercise but I burn almost 600 calories an hour doing it. Have fun!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Zumba is really great! I belong to a gym and I go to classes 3-4 times a week depending on my work schedule. I was TERRIBLE the first couple of times I tried it but I promise it gets better! I'm still pretty uncoordinated but I know the majority of the moves and can follow along well when a new song comes along. It's meant to be a pattern so once you get it you really get it!

Don't be scared off after your first time, it will get better. I love it and it's definitely helping me lose weight!!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I love love love Zumba! I have been doing it for just over a year and can't get enough! Who wouldn't like to dance around for 60 minutes and burn anywhere from 500-900 Calories? :) If you don't have a heart rate monitor, I have found that the exercise "aerobics, high impact" in the database is the closest to what I burn in comparison to my heart rate monitor. "Dance, general" is way too low compared to what I actually burn. Hope you like it! Just remember, have fun and keep moving (even between songs). :happy:
  • bmhicks627
    Options
    I look forward to Tuesdays because that is my Zumba day at the gym! Love it!
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Zumba so much so that when I start an alternating week schedule with my sons dad next week, I plan on going at least 3 times. Id even eventually consider becoming an instructor! Its super high intensity, but its so much fun that you don't even realize what an amazing workout you're getting. I sware that my instructor had spring implanted in the bottom of her feet. She's hilarious and keeps everyone pumped. I seriously just can't get enough!!

My gf joined me a couple weeks back and mid-class she said "I really wasn't expecting to sweat this much!" Lol
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love zumba!!!! I would go every day if i could afford it! I go twice a week and I've tried it at home and it's just not the same! The energy is crazy in an actual class!