P90x?

Options
I want to do something different as far as a workout routine goes. I did Turbo Jam and Chalean and I believe I have hit a plateau. How long are the P90x videos on average? I have been thinking of doing them if they can work into my schedule for a workout routine. Is there any other workout videos people suggest for an intensive lean body workout? I still have about 20 lbs to lose and I have hit so many plateaus!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    60 min, 75 if you include Abs. 90 min one day for yoga
  • Takeahike86
    Takeahike86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just started p90x yesterday. I AM SO SORE!!! Whetever happened to giving your body a break every ther day? Is this safe?
  • ajohnson86
    Options
    I am on my 4th day with P90X, they last an hour on average, last night was 1 hr & 15 It's brutal but it goes by soooo fast. Some of it feels so good & some of it burns. But no pain no gain. I am also eating right so I am hoping that helps. It is constant movement. Look on you tube at some of the videos to give you an idea. All together we paid 250 and got all kinds of stuff to go with it. Definitley worth it.
  • drcotey
    drcotey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look into kettle bells. You can buy a 5 lb kettle bell from Danskin at Walmart for $15, but the best workout you can buy from Kettleworx.com. I just started them but am very impressed with the quality of the workout, the low cost and the cardiovascular combined with strength characteristic of kettle bell workouts.
  • ajohnson86
    Options
    Oh & I definitley feel this is safe. Thats why he tells you so many times move at your own pace. I only push it just a bit, you can tell when you've had enough. ;)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I just started p90x yesterday. I AM SO SORE!!! Whetever happened to giving your body a break every ther day? Is this safe?

You're only attacking one group of muscles at a time so technically, you are giving those body parts a break every other day, hehe. When you finish the first week, you'll understand the design.

By the way, most of the soreness goes away after the warmup. It will come back after the workout but it's gone during the workout for the most part.
  • Takeahike86
    Takeahike86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is the best dumbell weight for women? I dont want too heavy....so muscular man arms for me, but not too light so that its not effective.
  • Golden83
    Golden83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    P90X made me appreciate Tae Bo! Its too much for me, although I do attempt to do the Ab Ripper X if nothing else which is also killer!
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Women normally don't like my answer. So I'll tell you that I did 2 rounds. The first round were pretty light weights, I think 10lbs was my heaviest and I went for failure at 12-15 reps. The second round I took the advice for the men (failure at 6-8 reps) which went as high as 40 lbs ... The inches in my arms shrunk a lot more in the second round than it did in the first.

Actually, everything slimmed down a lot more in the second round.
    173180_3634.jpg
  • dannaliv
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiration you are!! I want to try to do the 100 miles in a year! Awesome goal!
  • erickirb
    Options

It is safe as you don't work the same muscle groups within 48 hours of each other
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiration you are!! I want to try to do the 100 miles in a year! Awesome goal!

Thank you, I'm doing the c25k right now so it's going a lot faster than you would imagine ... about 2 miles a day, 3x per week.

This thread is making me miss my weights though, hehe.
  • erickirb
    Options
    What is the best dumbell weight for women? I dont want too heavy....so muscular man arms for me, but not too light so that its not effective.

As heavy as you can lift with good form, you won't get muscular unless you take steroids or other testosterone production drugs and/or eat a caloric surplus.
  • gmille39
    Options
    Yes, because you're not working the same muscles every day. The every other day rule is for the same muscles.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    For the Yoga, being the longest program, you could also shave a bit off the 90 minutes by cutting out the last 10 or so. I saw someone post that the last minutes (around Happy Baby pose and on) can be skipped without missing much.

I had to skip everything after Happy Baby, basically, since so far this week I've had almost no time for anything other than work, sleep, and P90X. It is taking me about 2 hours to get through these things, since I am so unfit. Pause, pause, pause, and pause some more!

Looking forward to what I hope is a quicker Kenpo workout, and tomorrow as my "off" day. This first week has been rough, not just because it's my first exercise in quite some time and my first time on P90X, but because I have to take so many breaks, almost all of my free time has been spent getting through each day's program. Next week I am going to try to move my exercise to the morning hours, and leave ab ripper for the evening on days it falls on.