Always over in Protein

Options
Is it bad that everyday I eat more protein that it says? Does eating to much protein effect my weight loss?

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    From what people have said on here, MFP's recommendation for protein is set too low. "Too much" protein shouldn't be an issue---protein is good for weight loss due to it helping keep you full and aid with muscle recovery.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    more the better. I aim for 110++++
  • amiramoon
    amiramoon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You should eat half of your body weight. So, if you weigh 120 pounds you should consume 60 grams of protein a day. Just follow that rule of thumb. Protein is good for your body. The more you have the fuller you feel AND it helps builds muscle...which boosts your metabolism.
  • moriah5
    Options
    I am always over too and although I have only been on this site for two weeks, I have lost 5 lbs. I personally know that if i dont eat protien I will be hungry and therefore want to snack. It seems like someone said those guidlines were just for people who might have reason to be more concerned, like runners but really as long it works for you and you are staying within your total calories, you should be fine. Keep in mind, I am no way an expert though.
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had the same question about Fiber. Mine says 16 grams a day. I know you always hear 28-30 or something like that.
  • think_thin
    Options
    I never worry about going over in my protein, I just watch my carbs and fat and make sure I stay in my limits with them.
  • tacmedic2209
    Options
    It depends on how much you go over. Protein is good for you especially if your doing strength training. Your muscles need it to repair. Most of your protein intake should be after your work out. Muscles are looking for it then. If you go over 10-30 grams its not bad. Remember your goal calories are set lower then your normal nutritional standards. Look at new foods that are lower in protein that you can introduce into your diet. I usually go over by 10-15 grams myself. I do a lot of strength training and can feel when my body needs it. It takes a little bit but you will find the balance point in your foods. Good luck..