Your ideal home gym home?

Options
I'm moving house in 2 weeks and I've saved one room to be my gym room.

I'm going to have a treadmill, weights, DVD player, fitness DVDs, yoga mat, stereo... what else do you think I should get for it for an all over body workout?

Also, what should I put on the walls? Photos of people who inspire me? Graphs of my weight loss?

What would you put in your ideal home gym room?

Thanks!

Replies

• fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What about a large mirror on one wall? Noticing your form while doing some exercises is useful. I'd add in an exercise bench - useful for the weights, plus you can do step-ups and dips on it.

I'm moving later this year and plan to set up a home gym too - similar items but also an elliptical machine since that's what I prefer.
  • mrsltobe
    Options
    Good ideas! Thanks! :-D
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Seconding the mirror.

Add a second cardio machine in addition to the treadmill, for some variety.

A power rack.

On the walls can be posters of various exercises and things that inspire.

A fan.
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    :happy: My workout room has 2 trainers (one for me and one for my boyfriend) for spinning, a trendmill, laptop, 2 big mirrors and I made a motivational poster myself :) Also has a TV and DVD player. Its kinda crowded right now because We store some stuff in there from our tattoo shop. But hopefully we can get more use out it more without all the tattoo stuff LOL. But I still get on the trendmill everyday!

Mirrors are great and so are motivational posters! Easy to make one yourself too...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    We just turned our Rec Room into our home gym and have a treadmill, stationary bike, weight bench and weights, yoga mat, TV & DVD, and hung a large mirror on the wall to ensure our weight training form is correct.
    I am going to hang a few posters and another mirror to complete my room. I was also thinking of something motivational but actually think that I will find a few posters of scenery that I love, one of a beautiful beach and another of an amazing mountain scene. This way when Im running it out on my treadmill I can focus on my scenery pic's and "go to my happy place".
    Sounds like you are pretty much good to go!
  • mrsltobe
    Options
    Oooh how do I make a motivational poster?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I would want a nice calming room. Probably a nice bright happy color on the walls (for me that would be like an blue-white color...w/ maybe a vibrant yellow accent wall). I'm not a big fan of most work out equipment....like the dreadmill. lol So I would just want a corner for weights, and then maybe a touch screen computer monitor mounted on the wall, (a big one!)...and then the computer underneath. That way I could watch my work out DVD's on it, and I could also watch videos online. :) And probably a yoga mat! I think that's it for me...simple and relaxing. I would want a room that I felt comfortable in, so I didn't walk in and stress out. haha
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When we do our home gym we're going to have some kind of weight machine (a big one like at the gym or maybe a Bowflex), a weight bench (capable of incline, decline, and perfectly level) with a bar, the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells, a treadmill and either an elliptical or an arc trainer (if we can afford the kind I like).

Our goal is to not need to go to the gym ever again. We want to have everything we need so that we can work out all year long, because there's no way we're running outdoors if it's going to be this cold (10 degrees) in Albuquerque in the winter!
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    My poster is pictures of Jillian Micheals and Lance Armstrong. They are my fav motivators! I just cut pics out of magazines and printed some off the computer with sayings that encourage me to keep going! I also have a ton of artwork thats bright and colorful. I also included pics of myself working out or riding my bike because it shows me I can do it! Hope that helps :)
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a dumbbell set, bench, and a machine with a bunch of workout stuff like leg extensions, lat pull down, etc.

I'd want to have an elliptical and either treadmill or stationary bike (or both) to round out the equipment.

The space I have now is garage/basement and I've laid down some 3/4" thick interlocking gym flooring pads -- I'd prefer it to be a little more open with a higher ceiling, better lighting, both natural and electric, wood flooring instead of concrete, and with less support beams in my way.

I would have some inspirational stuff on the walls, anything from martial arts masters to to Marine or Navy Seal themed stuff (I was never in the military but family has been plus I respect heavily what these guys do), to any other similar symbols of drive and achievement. I'd probably have some big whiteboard where I could scribble down stuff I want to remember, and also some progress charts or some pictures of fat ole' me to stay motivated.

Right now without changing the big stuff I can't really change, unless I move, I'd add: pushup bars, a better yoga mat (mine kind of sucks), a yoga block or two, a sturdy chair, and a TV for my DVDs. Also a small stereo to go with the TV and DVD player, for just listening to music or radio programs.

In your situation, I would get resistance bands, the pushup bars, pullup bar, a weight bench if you don't have one.

{EDIT} I am seeing a lot of people mentioning a mirror. I forgot: I actually have been needing that for my own setup, too, so here's one more vote for a mirror or mirrors. My ideal gym would have a wall of mirrors, maybe 2.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    A fitness ball is nice to have, as well as strength bands and a kettleball.
    I have treadmill, elliptical, bike, free weights, tv/dvd/vcr, fitness ball (small + large), bosu, bands, ankle weights. (big basement)
    Also, thicker carpet mats that can be moved around, and big stereo although I prefer a clip on mp3 player for cardio. And my husband just uses the steel i-beam across the ceiling for pull-ups.
    Oh, yeah, and a small erase board to keep track of what I do everyday. Very helpful.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My wife and I continue to build our home gym--most items are from craigslist. It includes:

Treadmill, bowflex, free weights, trainer for bike in winter, TV with built in DVD, mats.

In a year, we hope to add elliptical.

We found the Bowflex on craigslist for only $400, was still a current model for $2,400. Guy just wanted to get rid of it. Instead of affording the room and cheaper quality all at once, we thought it good to get good equipment and build each year with what we are saving from gym membership.

Enjoy.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    I second the kettlebells and maybe a pull up bar. How about some medicine balls too.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If I had a ton of room and a bunch of extra money then I'd go all out. Of course it's more realistic to just acquire pieces over time, but you have to start with something. My ideal home gym would have:

Free weight bench press, standard Olympic bar, and a weight tree with weights from 2 1/2 lb to 45 lb.
    Dumbbell rack and a full set of dumbbells from 5 lb to 55 lb.
    Curl bar
    Pull-up / chin-up bar
    Squat / hack squat machine
    Dip / leg raise frame
    Treadmill
    Exercise bike

As for the room itself I would mount a 32-37 inch flat screen television and wire it to a dvd player. I'd also set up a small stereo system or even a "boom box." I'd put thick, black rubber mats down on the floor to protect it from the heavy equipment and the weights. I'd put a ceiling fan in or some type of ventilation. I'd put a full length mirror up along one wall and I'd put weight charts up along the another wall. Maybe even consider a chalk board or a dry erase board and some cork board on one of the walls to pin things up.
  • SillySarah
    Options
    I'd have the following:

Equipment:

-Treadmill
    -Bike trainer/stationary bike
    -Rowing machine
    -Pull up bar
    -Dip station
    -Free weights
    -Adjustable benches
    -Floor to ceiling mirrors on at least one wall
    -Yoga mats
    -Yoga pillows
    -Sound system
    -TV/DVD player

Decor:

- I'd probably paint the walls various neutral colors.
    - The room would include decent lighting
    - Adjustable heating/cooling system
    - Shades for windows

That's my ideal gym. I'd also want to have a decent bathroom and changing room close by too. I know right now my house is so small that I really don't have much space to work out. Sigh. Someday!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    We have a room that has an elliptical, 75 pound body bag (that is a great workout), speed bag, tv/dvd player with exercise videos, weights (I do want to invest it a weight tree). A mirror is great, I love watching my muscles work, that makes me want to continue. Inspirational cork board with my goals, reasons, and pictures of fitness people I admire (Jillian Michaels is my favorite) and even inspirational sayings. A variety is great so you are not bored and your body doesnt get use to one system, that can slow down your weight loss. Have fun!:happy: