Too much water?

Options
A co-worker of mine told me that drinking too much water can be bad for you. She says you take your weight, divide it in half, and that number is how many ounces you're supposed to drink a day.

Has anyone else heard this, can too much water be bad for you?

Replies

• Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    What the heck? This makes no sense to me.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    yes that is a true statement. so don't over do it
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    What the heck? This makes no sense to me.

That's what I thought too? You know how people ALWAYS feel the need to push their advice on you, especially while trying to lose weight!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here is some good reading on the subject:
    http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true. Half your body weight in ounces is a good amount.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can rob you of sodium. Electrolyte balance is really important. But you would have to drink a LOT of water. The divide your weight by 50% and drink that number of ounces is a safe rule.

Google "How much water is too much" for more info.
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    There is a VERY rare condition where if you drink like, 2 gallons of water in like, 3 hours and don't pee, it can technically cause your cells to burst and i guess that's really bad, but water spread out over the entire day is not bad for you at all. You can drink as much as you want just as long as you pee often and aren't downing gallon jugs in 1 sitting :D
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to OD on water. Drinking extreme amounts like several gallons a day can deplete your electrolytes and cause dizzy spells and other issues. I drink 120 oz per day. My doc says that is totally fine.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It actually is true you can drink too much water. It is very hard to do, I don't know how, but it does happen.
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    8 litres in one sitting is the lethal amout. i wouldn't worry too much :) aim for 1.5 - 2 litres a day!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You have to drink a LARGE volume of water in a very short amount of time for it to be bad for you.
  • wellrounded2
    Options
    I have heard that to much water is bad for you, but I have no proof. My mother has congestive heart failure, and her doctor makes her watch her water in take, because it could cause a build up of fluid on her heart. He says you should factor in the water from fruits and veggie you eat during the day with the amount you actually drink. I hope this helps.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    there have been cases when people have died, but in all cases he people drank well over a gallon of water. Its actaully pretty difficult to get water poisening, diffcult but not impossible.

oh this is a good calculater:
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

it takes more into acount then just your weight..
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, your weight divided by half is how many ounces of water you should have a day. Weigh 200? Drink 100 ounces a day.

It is possible to drink too much water and it becomes toxic. That would have to be gallons in a short time and not get rid of it. Just spread it through the day, go to the bathroom, and you should be fine.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    From that website: The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

I drink anywhere from 8-13 glasses a day. I feel great!

I like that calculator! Just used it.. Good to know :)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I actually went to the Dr because of dizzy spells I was having. She told me I was indeed drinking too MUCH water. I was having about 100 oz a day, and it was flushing out all the nutrients I was consuming. I am now restricted to 4-6 8oz glasses a day. It does happen, and it does not feel right. If it does happen to you, just drink less water, and a little more milk, or juice if you must have something- have something that has a higher nutritional value!
  • katsmeow77
    Options
    As a few others have said, it is TRUE! It sounds gross, but if you look at the color of your urine, you can determine if your body needs water or not. If it light yellow or clear then your body is hydrated and does not need water. If it is yellow or orange and/or has an odor, then you are dehydrated and should be drinking water.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I actually went to the Dr because of dizzy spells I was having. She told me I was indeed drinking too MUCH water. I was having about 100 oz a day, and it was flushing out all the nutrients I was consuming. I am now restricted to 4-6 8oz glasses a day. It does happen, and it does not feel right. If it does happen to you, just drink less water, and a little more milk, or juice if you must have something- have something that has a higher nutritional value!

Sounds like you flushed out the electrolytes.
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really had no idea. I typically stay around 75 oz. a day, which is my half weight, so I guess I'm okay. It's really good info to know though, I appreciate everyone's input as always=)
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    It is really hard to OD on water. Drinking extreme amounts like several gallons a day can deplete your electrolytes and cause dizzy spells and other issues. I drink 120 oz per day. My doc says that is totally fine.

I drink a over 120 oz a day and I'm doing fine... lots of bathroom visits!