Ever feel guilty...?

Options
When you give in to a craving of something that you know isn't healthy for you? I've been eating less and eating better foods along with exercising for the past few weeks. I've lost about 7 lbs and have more to go. Today at lunch I gave in and got a Chicken Quesadilla from Taco Bell and now I just feel so disgusting that I ever did that. It's good that I feel that way because I know next time I have a craving to remember how I felt when I did eat it. And part of me feels like I just ruined all of my hard work. You can bet that there will be some extra work put into the gym today! I was just curious if other people felt this way too?

Replies

• sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I still eat simular to how I did, I just got rid of empty calories in drinks. If I have a craving, I will get it and give 3/4 of it to my brother and then slowly eat what's left.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I used to, but not any more.

As long as you have the calorie allotment for it, go nuts! Drink extra water to counter the sodium, and enjoy yourself. You have to learn to live with eating the foods you enjoy, or else you'll have trouble adjusting to a maintenance phase.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I feel like that any time I even open my mouth, You are not alone at all!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Oh yes i've been there. I actually wrote a blog about it so that any time i'm tempted I can read this blurb and remind myself how crappy I feel after eating junk. I was kind of harsh to myself but it is important to focus on WHY you are eating certain things (hunger v. feelings).

One mess up wont ruin your progress, just stay focused and committed!

Good luck!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I still eat simular to how I did, I just got rid of empty calories in drinks. If I have a craving, I will get it and give 3/4 of it to my brother and then slowly eat what's left.

Your poor brother! haha...I just take stuff to-go and spread the calories out
  • marthack
    Options
    I still eat some of the foods that I did before I just eat smaller portions and I work out. I've lost 20lbs as of today. :smile:
  • St33787
    Options
    YES! I feel guilty all the time when I eat. You're definitely not alone.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty all the time., for example on saturday I went to a birthday party so I ate before leaving the house so i wont be hungry and eat junk. On my way back home my husband stop to get himself french fries, and i stole some.uughhh i felt so sick afterwards, the guilt was also killing me.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Thats about the same for me. I still eat the same stuff that I did just in smaller portions & drink more water than anything else.
  • 359cynthia
    Options
    As sad as it sounds, i like fast food but if I have that temptation i will get l a kids meal rather than the full meal and then I can usually still stay in my calorie range or I'll work it off. But I also feel guilty sometimes and wish i would have just made something at home. Its a tough battle and good luck to all of us!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont feel guilty ever,I used to but now I just dont worry about it.
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    Guilt doesn't burn calories. :)
    More than anything it makes the food you DO eat not taste as good. (Even though you think you are going to savor it and it is going to be the best chocolate cake ever, the feeling of guilt and the knowledge that you are going to have to hit the gym to make up for it makes it not nearly as tasty!! )

I had to stop letting food have control over my emotional well being. It shouldn't make me feel better to eat junky comfort foods and it shouldn't make me feel like crap if I eat them either. If I view it as a transaction and know that I won't get something later for the something I eat now, I can detach myself from it and look at the food rationally. (That stopped me from eating tons of pizza at lunch even though it smelled SOOOO good. I had one tiny TINY taste (literally a 1 inch by 1 inch square) and it was delicious and probably worth the calories, but eating ALL of the pizza would not have been. I am having carrots and celery even though the pizza is in the next room because I had one taste and it was okay but not worth the cost of the calories.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilt over food because it's an unhealthy emotion for me.

There's a lot in life I feel guilty about. Not visiting my parents enough before they died. Not getting my sick cat to the vet sooner than I did and losing him. Times I didn't think before I said something and accidentally hurt someone's feelings. In other words... things I can't control.

But what I eat? I have control over that. Food doesn't magically jump in my mouth. If I eat something, it's a conscious choice. If I know I'm going to regret it, I don't do it. And really, the only one I'm hurting is myself, if it makes me gain weight or slows my progress. And one bad food choice isn't going to do that. So why hurt myself in another way by feeling guilt over it?

If I'm going to indulge, I'm going to enjoy every tasty last bite of it! :smile:
  • alliebthespian
    Options
    I think I think like an anorexic when it comes to that. I always feel guilty when I eat, especially if I see skinny girls. It's not like I ever binge, I always eat within the bounds of my calorie level, exercise regularly, but I always feel like a whale, even though I know I'm not. It's a strange paradoxical phenomenon.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your posts! It's good to know that I'm not the only one and that a lot of you still eat the same foods just less of them and add exercise.

It's definitely a battle sometimes and I know that you can't completely cut foods out of your life but sometimes it just feels like a set back.

I don't need to be skinny, I just want to feel better about myself. I love having boobs and hips and a butt! But my love handles can get the hell out! ;)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I actually just did that today! I baked chocolate goodies for the family and over indulged today and feel totally gross and horrible nnow-feel like I've let myself down after all my progress of eating well-so you are not alone!
  • thepyro395
    thepyro395 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everytime I eat something I feel this was. Even if it's not bad for me.
  • audreybeaner
    Options
    Everytime I eat something I feel this was. Even if it's not bad for me.

Please don't feel this way! You're obviously here for a reason and that's absolutely something to feel good about!!

As a note: you're not going to be able to turn off all of your bad habits over night. I wish it were that easy...to wake up and not want to eat a Big Mac...or grab a hand full of french fries...but it's not. You're retraining your body and mind to crave other things SLOWLY...that's why this sort of diet works...you slowly learn what things are within your calorie goals..your sodium intake...your cholesterol etc etc and can refocus your cravings to those items over time. If you scold yourself every time you have a craving...or fall to temptation...you're just making it that much harder on yourself. I am not saying it's to be excused because if you do that it makes it that much easier to do it next time...and the next and the next and then you're back at square one.
    You can reason with yourself...if I eat this handful of french fries I have to hit the eliptical machine for an extra 15 minutes tonight, or do an extra 10 minutes of jogging...don't punish yourself and cause yourself guilt...just bargain with yourself and stick to the "consequences" you've set for yourself if you do fall prey and eat food that isn't necessarily healthy for you. :)