Best Way to Burn Calories when you cannot make it to the Gym

Options
I live in New England and we have been getting slammed with Snow every week for the last 5 weeks straight. I need a few ways of how to burn some calories when i am snowed in and cannot make it to the gym??? Any ideas?!?!?

I have Kinect for Xbox 360 and i break a little sweat playing that but it seems like it takes too long.

Replies

• dawnslaughter
    Options
    house work is the best way to burn calories or shoveling snow, both of them are in the cardio list
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    i mean by house woork, pulling out the furniture cleaning behind it etc you will soon get a sweat on believe me
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    Try kettlebells. Dragon Door is where I get mine I have the 16kg and 20 kg bells. Awesome workouts!
  • suedins
    Options
    Do you have work out bands or a BOSU ball- you can do cardio with them in the living room.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    Or try P90X!
  • Ajsgirl4life
    Options
    If you have a netflix account for your xbox you can check out some of those workout DVDs on instant watch. Some are really good. If you want some help choosing you can check out my blog. For February I'm doing a different one each day and rating them as I go!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Ajsgirl4life

Hope that helps!
  • sophialucciani
    Options
    I'm in Maine and feel your pain! Getting to the gym has been a problem. I like crunches a lot. They burn a lot of calories and tighten your abs. you can get some free weights also. if you have an exercise mat you can do a wide variety of leg exercises that are great for burning calories as well. Have fun!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great at-home workout. If you don't feel like dropping the cheddar on it, you could do calisthenics, i.e. jumping jacks, running in place, push-ups, dips, squats, lunges, pull-ups, etc.

I've been doing prison routines, coupled with P90X inspired modifications at home and the results are quick. I've already bulked up a little bit and defined my upper body in about a week.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Jog up and down stairs until fatigue. Chase your dog/cat around the house. Simple things like situps, pushups, squats, lunges. Use an empty milk jug/nalgene full of water as a free weight. See how fast you can clean your entire house. Shovel snow. Spend "quality" time with your lady. Look for fitness programs on cable.
  • jaedre
    jaedre Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I will take all your thoughts into consideration and see if i can put it all together! Thanks
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    exercise tv!
  • Kristina954
    Options
    P90X! or a high cardio video. I have Mel B's (scary spice) total body workout and I was sweating. also cardio kickboxing is great
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    shovel :) LOL. . that's how I got my exercise here in Baltimore last week, 2 hrs of shoveling
  • brianhin
    Options
    I just took a group through a total body Calisthenic exercise. Took 60 minutes with warm-up cool down & stretching burned over 600 calories. Didn't use anything but your body weight. If you know a lot of calisthenic exercises like push-ups, sit-ups, jump squats, etc. be creative and throw something together! Otherwise I would recommend a program like P90X or INSANITY. I have them both and they're AWESOME programs and I incorporate a lot of their moves into my exercise classes.

And most importantly EAT CLEAN and often. That will keep your body burning more calories throughout the day.

Hope this helps!

B
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks, shadow boxing, and various types of kicks.