5'1" and a little extra weight

Options
I've been on the site for a month now, and I'm really enjoying the experience. Is there anyone out there who is as short as I am with about 15 pounds they want to get rid of? Or, better yet, someone who has already accomplished it and can tell me what their journey was like, and what the maintenance is like? I've lost every week I've weighed myself, but have a hunch I'll plateau one of these days..... Hoping someone out there can give me a little insight.

Jenna

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    hey jenna!

i'm just under 5'1'' and always fluctuate between the same 10-15 pounds i'm still trying to get off :)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I am not quite as short as you--I'm 5'3' and 43 yrs old. Last year I lost 43 pounds on this program, and have kept it off for 3 months now. This really will work if you stick to the numbers and are honest with what you eat. The exercise calories that are on the site are pretty accurate as well. Watch out for the machines--they figure too high a number for short people!

The only disappointment I have is that now that I am maintaining (at 113 pounds), I still don't get many calories--1400 a day works for me. The number on this site for maintenance is too high! So now, I guess i just have to keep exercising!

Hang in there and this will work, just expect the weight to come off slowly and steadily, not necessarily all at once!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am just a little shorter, at 5'. And, I have a little more to lose than you. Been doing this for 2+ weeks now. Joined last year but didn't keep up with it. Now, we have a 12-week weight loss challenge going on at work, and one of our motivational speakers talked about keeping a food diary and how important it was. I decided to come back here and use MFP to do my daily journaling and track my progress.

Wow! it is interesting how much I was letting myself eat before I started to track!

I have not hit the plateau, but I know it comes for me every time that I diet. I think that the most important thing is to not get discouraged. Sometimes those plateaus can truly break a diet.
  • amiramoon
    amiramoon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jenna,

I am 5'0. I started "eating healthy" when I hit 152. I am down to 139 and I think I have hit my plateau. I hover around 140. I want to get down to 125 so I have a ways to go. However, I notice when I eat bad (cake, candy, etc) my weight jumps up crazy (like 3 pounds in 3 days) so I am trying to stay consistent and I am dropping slowly. We will get it done!
  • amiramoon
    amiramoon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the calorie range being too high. I dropped mine down. Just don't go under 1,000. That's not healthy.
  • wises5
    wises5 Posts: 53
    Options
    hey! i'm 4 9 & a half I have about 11 more pounds to go i wanna get to 105 n i started at 122 so i have lost 6 pounds so far in my first two weeks, so only 11 more!
  • bgagn085
    bgagn085 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Im 5"1 and I have always fluctuated between a range of 15-20 pounds. I feel like sometimes dropping 1 or 2 pounds is such a small accomplishment compared to some amazing people on this site that have lost 100+ lbs, but really those 1 or 2 pounds on my short body make such a difference! I've never really been into exercising but I am realizing now (especially as I get older) that the only way to lose it and keep it off is the healthy way!

I am also interested in hearing other people stories (especially those who are petite like me). I have been consistently exercising and eating healthily and the last week I seem to have reached a standstill on my weight loss and I need a little motivation. This happen to anyone else?
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 weighing in at 113. I'd like to lose about 5 lbs but it's such a struggle. At our size we aren't allowed to have many calories and one small cheat can be huge for us. If you girls have any tips on low calorie snacks/meals. Please share.

I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that I will never be able to eat freely and have to think about every little thing that I eat.. I also am frustrated by the lower amount of calories people at our height burn. My friend can burn 600 calories in a zumba class. That would never happen for me.
  • bgagn085
    bgagn085 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 weighing in at 113. I'd like to lose about 5 lbs but it's such a struggle. At our size we aren't allowed to have many calories and one small cheat can be huge for us. If you girls have any tips on low calorie snacks/meals. Please share.

I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that I will never be able to eat freely and have to think about every little thing that I eat.. I also am frustrated by the lower amount of calories people at our height burn. My friend can burn 600 calories in a zumba class. That would never happen for me.

I definitely agree that one small cheat can be huge! I tend to snack on fruit and nuts and avoid carbs as much as possible, but if I am having a carb craving I will try and stick to those "100 calorie" packages of rice cakes or granola bars to help with portion control. Honestly, I find the thing tht has made the biggest difference for me is eating smaller meals and snacking (on healthy options) more often. Also, pasta is the (delicious) devil, eating pasta for dinner twice a week means unfortunately means no weight loss for me even if its brown rice pasta and I watch my portions.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am 5'1" too, I have lost quite a lot I was a right fattie! I dont know exactly what i weigh at the moment coz I have been having a bit of a bad time of it all, drinking eating and not exercising enough.... you know the combination that got me fat in the first place! I am gonna be about 130lbs my lowest has been 125 my highest 176! I want to be around 120

but hey I am planning on getting back on track in the morning so i will post then - when i have a more positive outlook MFP has been fantastic for me I couldnt have lost this weight without it or my MFP friends.
  • MJKI
    MJKI Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 4 "11" and trying to lose to lose 15 pounds. I already lost 6. since i starting watching my calories. The key to do cardio every day for 40 min.
    MJKI
  • jrich6
    jrich6 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!!! I'm adding ALL of you! It's great to see so many people dealing with the same situation! Let's kick our own little butts and meet our goals!
  • Jessica_Lo
    Options
    Hi,

I am 4 "11" and trying to lose to lose 15 pounds. I already lost 6. since i starting watching my calories. The key to do cardio every day for 40 min.
    MJKI

I noticed that too. If I can get cardio in (which I'm hoping the calculater is right) it's like 200 calories extra a day. I try to run at least 20 mins but lately I haven't been motivated to do that. It does make a difference though!

I bought an HRM monitor though and it had the nerve to say it was like 50 calories or something retarded! I blame it on my height! Any one else have an HRM that's reading crazy like that?
  • Jessica_Lo
    Options

I definitely agree that one small cheat can be huge! I tend to snack on fruit and nuts and avoid carbs as much as possible, but if I am having a carb craving I will try and stick to those "100 calorie" packages of rice cakes or granola bars to help with portion control. Honestly, I find the thing tht has made the biggest difference for me is eating smaller meals and snacking (on healthy options) more often. Also, pasta is the (delicious) devil, eating pasta for dinner twice a week means unfortunately means no weight loss for me even if its brown rice pasta and I watch my portions.

OMG I could live on pasta but yeah if I have it, even once I'm screwed. That's with measuring it and everything. So annoying!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I agree, we have such a small window to work with. 1200 for our BMR, and 1600 for maintenance. Not much room for error. We really have to be on top of our game!

I agree with the pasta, I rarely eat any at all, although I did have some for dinner tonight. I eat Dreamfields, supposed to be lower on the glycemic index, so possibly might not be as much of an issue. But, since I don't eat it that much, I could not say if that is true!
  • MJKI
    MJKI Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio at night after i am done with everything i have to do. Sometimes it will be 10 pm. And i never eat the extra calories. We are two small to have toooo many calories. Try cadio early in the morning or late at night. that might help.
  • Ngolden1
    Ngolden1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I 100% agree with you. That's something a lot of people don't understand - our bodies are just smaller and don't require as many calories, yet our appetites are often the same as taller people! I am 5'0" and was 115 forever. Then four years ago I made a change and now I hover between 101 and 104 lbs normally. It is true, it's really about scaling back on the calories - 1,000 to 1,200 is sufficient generally. What I did is say, ok I am having this many calories today - how will I do it. Then I divided my food into 200 calories five times a day. You get hungry quicker, but then you know you are eating again soon. The truth is, stopping before you are full is a good way to tell. And for me, eating at the same times every day. Good luck!
  • Debnva
    Debnva Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenna! I am 5' and 1/2 inch. I have always had a "panic" weight of 140 and would not allow myself to go above that. I joined weight watchers in Oct. 2009 at 139 lbs. Current weight is 125 and my goal is 109. I just left weight watchers and joined this site because I felt like I had hit a plateau. I had gotten down to 118 with weight watchers, but gained some back over the holidays. I may have to adjust my goal weight up to 115, but for now I'm sticking with 109.

I really like MFP and hope I can stay focused on my goal! Good luck to you!
  • Jessica_Lo
    Options

I 100% agree with you. That's something a lot of people don't understand - our bodies are just smaller and don't require as many calories, yet our appetites are often the same as taller people! I am 5'0" and was 115 forever. Then four years ago I made a change and now I hover between 101 and 104 lbs normally. It is true, it's really about scaling back on the calories - 1,000 to 1,200 is sufficient generally. What I did is say, ok I am having this many calories today - how will I do it. Then I divided my food into 200 calories five times a day. You get hungry quicker, but then you know you are eating again soon. The truth is, stopping before you are full is a good way to tell. And for me, eating at the same times every day. Good luck!

SHUT UP! You got down to 100ish! You are my hero! I'm copying your meal plans!!! lol
  • sandy4720
    sandy4720 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I weigh 122 right now, I've lost 4 pounds so far! It is so difficult for people who are taller than us to understand why we want to lose weight. Hearing 108 or 105 for them is very small weight, but they don't take into consideration how tall we are! I'm glad you posted this! It made me feel better about my goals!!

Good luck!