Don't ever seem to eat enough calories

Options
Does anyone else have the problem of being WAAAYYY below their calorie intake? I mean I barely even get to 1000 cals a day! I'm trying to add better foods to my diet so that I can get more foods that aren't just empty calories but.....geeezz....I'm too full to eat that much! At work, I'm too busy to think about food. When I get home, I have a decent dinner around 6:30 then I'm good til (like most) around bedtime when I want something sweet. Sooo, I either give in or go to bed, usually go to bed! Am I really doing more harm than good by not reaching that many calories?

Also, another quick question. If I put Crystal Light in my water does that still count toward my 8 glasses? My common sense says yes, but my logical mind says once I put the poweder in it's no longer water, it's kool-aid or flavored tea.....hmmm

Thanks for the help!

Tammy

Replies

• dbcja
    dbcja Posts: 54
    Options
    I have the same problem. I feel like I am pigging out but am not meeting my calories for the day... Im guessing this would affect motabilisim (sorry I cant spell) and that kinda thing. Then I do a workout and get more calories added to my diary!
  • karljp
    karljp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can add Crystal Light as a snack for each pack, I do 2 a day in my water and it is like 40 calories a pack, so add those!
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    You guys are not alone. I just posted the same question on my page...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Add avocado on your salads & sandwiches. Eat nuts or natural nut butters. Use olive oil. Those things add a lot of calories without much bulk. It's not good to be under your calorie goals for a long period of time. You actually slow your metabolism and hinder weight/fat loss.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Yyou really need to add those calories througout the day. You need to set a timer or something so you have a snack or two at work. It will help keep your metabolism fired up. Every time you go any period of time not eating your metabolism starts to slow down. If you then go home and eat dinner and then go to sleep your metabolism will not know how to react.
    I call it the grizzly bear affect. That is what my husband does. He goes all day without eating then comes home and grazes for food. You don't want to be as big as a grizzly bear. I think you need to prepare yourself at work and set an alarm and have a snack or two.
  • suttontm
    Options
    You're right, I've started buying things that I can snack on at work. I'm a phlebotomist and my mornings are CRAZY so I have to start forcing myself to get up early enough to get some breakfast in me cuz when I get to work I don't have time. I grab a cup of coffee, never finish it, and drink 16 oz of water then it's lunch time. The past couple of days I've been grabbing a couple of slices of apples between patients just so that I have something in my stomach. I've got to come up with some good snacks. I graze on natural whole almonds at work....any other creative ideas for snacks on the "run"?

Thanks guys for the help, I appreciate it!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You're right, I've started buying things that I can snack on at work. I'm a phlebotomist and my mornings are CRAZY so I have to start forcing myself to get up early enough to get some breakfast in me cuz when I get to work I don't have time. I grab a cup of coffee, never finish it, and drink 16 oz of water then it's lunch time. The past couple of days I've been grabbing a couple of slices of apples between patients just so that I have something in my stomach. I've got to come up with some good snacks. I graze on natural whole almonds at work....any other creative ideas for snacks on the "run"?

Thanks guys for the help, I appreciate it!

Apples, bananas, nuts, peanut butter crackers. If you are a slow eater or one that takes bites on the go, Make a bagel with cream cheese and cut it into bite size peices. Carrots dipped in hummus. pita bread with peanut butter, cut it like you would a pizza and you could take bites in between patients. I have a friend that is in a phleb lab too and her morings are like that. especially if you work in a hospital where you have to go draw patients in thier rooms. Breakfast is a must and you need to prepare those snacks.
  • jaxie87
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, well kinda...when I put everything in I'm eating loads - it's all good stuff but is it really ok to eat all the calories it tells u too coz it feels like it's so much :s I'm meant to eat 1,200 to lose weight, but if I exercise I gain more calories. Am I gonna lose weight?
  • dsccrfay
    Options
    I was having the same problem. My trainer suggested making a protein shake with fruit. My favorite is 1 TBSP peanut butter, banana, vanilla protein powder, 1 cup of egg whites. This is really good right after a hard workout. Good luck.