3 weeks and losing heart!

Options
Hi just started my programme 3 weeks ago - have started losing and love the site and ipod app for convenience of keeping track but still keep getting cravings for naughty stuff like chocolate and fatty savouries. Any tips gratefully received. Jane x

Replies

• mixmastermolly
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself of those things. If you want them, eat them, just make sure they fit into your daily calorie allowance. Maybe try having 3 small dove chocolate pieces instead of a whole candy bar. On days that you want something fatty and greasy make sure you have a very low calorie breakfast and maybe a salad for lunch so for dinner you have more calories. It's ok to do now and then.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    High protein containing YOGURT.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to 'earn' treats by exercising and 'upping' your calorie allowance - then a reward tastes so much better! That's what I do!

Regards, David
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    Give in!

At least... give in a little.

It's a little unrealistic to think you are NEVER going to eat fatty foods or chocolates again - so either find a way to modify the foods you love (like a lower calorie recipe or a darker chocolate) or only eat a very tiny amount.

Just a little taste is all you need to get rid of cravings and then tell yourself it isn't worth the calories for the rest.

Or save calories for a special treat and TREAT yourself. I had some skinny cow ice cream the other day and lemme tell ya - the 170 calories I saved by skipping the little things that day (like salad dressing and cheese on my salad) were TOTALLY worth it. :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Try to find healthier substitutions for the things you crave. You could probably search the boards here for "chocolate" and find what other people do when they crave it. You could probably find a sub for just about anything on here. Or post a topic and ask for suggestions!

It's easy to blow it when you stock "bad" things in the house. So, unless you have great self control, buying a bag of chocolates and telling yourself you will only eat 2 pieces may be setting yourself up for failure. I tried that with Samoa girl scout cookies and ate the entire box! :blushing:
  • jcd708727
    Options
    Yes...mixmaster is right. I've only been doing this for a short time, but quickly realized that I can eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I stay within my calorie allowance (I actually set mine a little low since it's in my nature to push the limits of everything!). So far it has worked great and I've lost 5 pounds in less than 2 weeks! Stay the course!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do agree to not give up those things totally. Treat yourself. But, set some good goals.... no "treat" until Saturday night. Or something like that. It's easier to take it a few days at a time. I try to eat well MOST of the time so I can have some foods that I love without doing any damage.
  • Hootchie15
    Options
    Hi folks

Thank you all for great tips and encouragement! Maybe some Maltesers won't hurt :wink:

J x
  • andrea1004
    Options
    I find that exercising 5 days a week helps a lot with cravings. I just heard that in his book, The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite, David Kessler argues that the only feeling of reward close to the one you get from overeating comes from exercise, and you can rewire your brain to want the healthy version and not the unhealthy one.

Also, I never tell myself that I can't have something. That just instantly makes a craving worse if I deny myself. It creates a psychological condition called deprivation.

I look at what calories I have left in the day, and I make the choice to use some for whatever the treat is.

Making the choice versus letting the craving control me has been the key for me.

I hope you find something that works for you.
  • LaurieKPhoto1972
    Options
    I have heard it takes 4-6 weeks to create new habits but I am still waiting. Ha Ha I started on January 7th and have not eaten one single fattening meal or treat since then. I have not gone over my calorie goal at all and I am starting to get pissed. LOL Now my PMS has started so that could be it too but I think depriving myself all these weeks is starting to backfire.

I weigh in tomorrow morning and every Friday morning so this weekend I may indulge just a little. I still will make sure not to go over my calorie goal but I may just save up calories on Saturday or Sunday so I can have something just a little "bad"!

You know when we get to our goal weight it will be SO much easier to indulge in some "bad" food every now and then. I think we are just so caught up right now in making our goals that it's hard to go off track without feeling guilty.

If you ever want to talk, please feel free and message me because I know exactly how you feel!!!! Keep your chip up and don't ever give up!
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    You can always live by the 90:10 rule. 90% of the time you eat well and 10% of the time you slack a little.
  • karimiller
    Options
    Everyone is different so there's no concrete answer for you unfortunately. Some people need to deprive themselves completely of their trigger foods. My mom, for example, started WW a couple years ago and from Day 1 did not eat one bad meal and worked out religiously. Her hard work paid off, and she lost 85 pounds in 8 months and made lifetime. My trigger food is chocolate, and a couple years ago I gave chocolate up for 5 months, and lost about 15 pounds. If (big IF) you are capable of self control and you know you won't over indulge, then don't deprive yourself of little treats here and there. But as people suggested, only eat something small and don't keep things lying around the house because you'll be more likely to give into temptation...I'm guilty of that with girl scout cookies as someone else mentioned! In the end though, it's all about self control...mind over matter. You have to want it bad enough to just say no or to be able to limit yourself. If you want it bad enough, anything is possible! Good luck!