Going to a group exercise class...alone?

Options
My school offers a number of free exercise classes that I want to take advantage of, but none of my friends care about fitness and think it's a joke that I want to go at all. There's a Butts & Guts class tonight that I'm forcing myself to go to and I'm terrified! I want to go so badly but I'm so afraid of being the only one with no friends in the group and being all gangly, uncoordinated and unfit.
I need some MFP support. :(

Replies

• iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Once you get there, you will have so much fun. I was worried about all the same stuff and then it was no big deal! Have a great time!!!!
  • Jmbttnr2
    Options
    I was never one to join a fitness class. But I started a zumba class with a friend. I love it. You should try it whatever you want. You might make some new friends.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    GO! Once you get through one class you'll realize how silly it was to worry! You might meet new friends that can help you with your healthy lifestyle.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. The first time was difficult, but after that, it was totally fine. Go for yourself. You deserve it!
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    GO!! You will find new friends (fitness friends). And you'll love yourself for how you feel afterwards! I am the same way but sometimes we just have to step out on our own just once or twice and then we find things we never knew how much we loved!
  • kbryanmc
    kbryanmc Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go! No one will care if you came with no one or 10 people. And there are bound to be other people there who are there by themselves too! And if you make it a regular routine to attend this class you will get to know faces/people in that class! Good luck :)
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I felt the same way going to zumba by myself, once you are in there, you realize, even if you think you are the only one...you are not, and no one is paying attention anyway!! Good luck, have fun!!!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My school offers a number of free exercise classes that I want to take advantage of, but none of my friends care about fitness and think it's a joke that I want to go at all. There's a Butts & Guts class tonight that I'm forcing myself to go to and I'm terrified! I want to go so badly but I'm so afraid of being the only one with no friends in the group and being all gangly, uncoordinated and unfit.
    I need some MFP support. :(

GO!!! Odds are you'll have a great time... plus this is an opportunity for you to make some NEW friends, friends that have similar goals and outlook on fitness as you!

Have fun!!!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hey! I would totally go! It really doesn't matter if any of those people have or haven't been to that class before. Because...at one point they were all newbies!! I used to be the girl who didn't have any roommates who wanted to go to the free fitness classes available at my campus...so I would go on my own. And I almost preferred it because no one else knew who I was...and I worked a lot harder because I was pushing myself for ME, not for my friends around me. But, thats just my preference. Sometimes I love going to workout with friends (zumba) and other times I love working out on my own (kickboxing, body pump) because I can focus on ME and my workout!

Now I currently am the instructor of those classes...and I can tell you that as an instructor we LOVE seeing new faces to our class...especially those who have never been. We thrive on new students and hope that they enjoy the exercise we teach as much as we do! Out of my average of 20 students that attend my class all of them are going on their own. I only have 2 people that come as friends (and its actually mom & daughter).

GO FOR IT GIRL! :)
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've almost always gone to group fitness classes alone (except one spinning class I did with my aunt about 8 years ago). I'm really really shy and I can do it...so you can too! :-)
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Go and give it a try! This is your your journey, not your friends. Since you guys dont shared the same desire/motivation about getting fit/healthy, don't let that discourage you from doing whats best for you.
  • Rowell29s
    Options
    Get you butt up and go!!!! You will meet new friends and be doing something good for yourself!!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was the SAME way! GO!!! I finally went to a Zumba class (granted I was with a friend) and I loved it so much I go by myself. No one cares how you do the moves, what shape you are in or what your wearing. Go there for YOU not THEM!!! Good luck!
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I worry about stuff like this too......It trys to keep me from doing a lot of stuff.....I tell myself to "Suck it up, smile and let it go!!" (no one knows you anyway!!!) Wish I could go with you.....Exercise is a lot funner with friends but if your friends aren't interested in fitness maybe you can meet new people who will become new friends!!

Good Luck!!! When you get there just visualize all of MFP right there with you doing the funky chicken or some such fun move!!! :laugh:

Beth
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    u r not going to impress anyone u r going for ur health who cares what others think. besides they all probably feel the same way!!!!!
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    LOL I felt the same way the first time I took a spin class. Everyone had their spin shoes and they looked super intense, and I was just trying to figure out how to set the bike up. It's only ackward at the beginning of the class, when everyone is hanging out. Once class starts, no one gets to talk anyway, and you're totally focused on your workout.

once you get started it's totally fun!
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am kinda feeling the same way today... I have gym membership at pure fitness which also allows me to go to LA fitness since the bought out pure... I do the Pure saturday seminars (group class) with no problems but I am kind of affraid of LA, as its more a "HEY LOOK AT ME" kinda club, a place to be seen rather then feeling welcomed (so I have heard).

I kinda wanted to switch it up though and take a Step works plus abs class they have tonight, but am a little wary...

I will probably suck it up and go anyways, but I just thought I'd let you know you're not alone :)
  • allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    You guys have no idea how much this helped! I can't wait to go now! Thank you all so much!!
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You are doing this for yourself noone else, so it doesn't matter what anyone says anyway plus you might make some new friends in the class :) go for it