limited to college cafeteria.

Options
I attend a small private college and our choices at meals are limited. On top of this twice a week for lunch I have to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because I miss lunch for classes. Any tips on how to stay healthy when I can't cook my own food and on snacking because the food isn't always edible?

Replies

• kbiering
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I wish they had healthier stuff. I try to eat a salad for lunch and something healthish for dinner. For breakfast I eat a bowl of cereal.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I would choose as many veggies and fruits as possible (not always easy, I know) and whole grains at every meal! Even the PB&J can be healthy if you choose whole grain bread and fruit preserves instead of sugary jelly. Try to write everything down, choose very little gravies and sauces, as those are usually loaded with fat and calories! Bagels are great for snacking, as long as you go easy on the cream cheese or go fat free. Honey can sweeten things up if you need a pick up too!

Good luck!
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    For the PBJ sandwhiches I would suggest whole grain bread, no sugar added 100% fruit spread (instead of jelly) and all natural PB no salt added. It is more pricey than the traditional PBJ but those jars do last you a while, so you are still saving a lot of money.
    I would snack on cereal bars (they have quite a bit of calories, though), baby carrots, veggies, fruits, pretzels are not bad, just read the labels very carefully and don't get HFCS and trans fats.
    About the food, one of my friends befriended the cafeteria ladies and they would grill him a chicken breast and have it waiting for him. Maybe try that? :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    my immediate response to your topic is: "i'm so sorry" i've been there. I recommend getting snack foods to munch on during the day, outside of the cafeteria and only visit it when absolutely necessary (breakfast perhaps...or something light for dinner). I like brining hummus or laughing cow cheese to class with whole wheat crackers. Our cafeterias had fruit out so I'd always take extras for later. Otherwise, the salad bar was my go to spot with dressing on the side and tons of veggies. I also bring cottage cheese or greek yogurt with me to class since its quite good and with all the protein it keeps you full. Almonds are also good to much on. If you get bored with salads try to mix things up by adding corn and black beans for a south western feel (these are okay if you pre-cook them in microwave). My diary is public and i much all day so feel free to get ideas (i'm a vegetarian).

Good luck...if you can be healthy in college you'll get better grades and feel better...i swear!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure your snacks are healthy. In your situation I'd make all the snacks fresh fruits and vegetables. And do the best you can with cafeteria food. Opt for lean meats like chicken or turkey, vegetables, and whole grains. And if you have trouble getting in enough protein, get a good protein shake powder (I like Bluebonnet soy protein, it's organic, non-gmo, doesn't use artificial sweeteners and still tastes pretty good.) and make it with low fat or skim milk.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed a mini fridge in your room? I kept snack vegetables (carrots, celery, bell peppers) in mine. I also had a microwave (it was a 'microfridge" where the microwave was attached to the fridge), so I had some lean cuisine-type food in case I wasn't in the mood to go to the dining commons.

Is there a salad bar in the cafeteria? Fresh fruit? I was really lucky -- my college had awesome food and an awesome selection. When I needed a meal to take with me, I usually snagged bread and lettuce from the cafeteria and put canned tuna (from my room) in it. I was often guilty of taking a purse-full of bananas out with me, too.
  • cheangela
    Options
    When I was still in college I had the same struggle. Once a week I would make a trip to the grocery store for a bag of apples and these dehydrated cups of soup (not ramen) that only required some hot water and a spoon. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Nile-Spice-Lentil-Soup-1-8-Ounce/dp/B000EVSC1Y/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1296768103&sr=8-14

Now my little cousin is in school and I send her care packages of healthy quick stuffs that I find along the way. Perhaps something you can ask your parents to do if the money is tight (or you are keeping a secret stash for party reserves, yay college).

Another idea is to get Macrobars, Clif bars, or maybe one of those protein shake mixes other people rave about that only require water and a martini shaker (or a smoothie shaker, whatever).

I'm pretty sure I didn't use the cafe more than 5 times whilst on campus and I was the only one that lost weight my freshman year.

Woot!