Your Hometown Uniqueness

Options

Replies

• Steffykins
    Options
    AAAAAAAH you must all go to Ireland, I promise you it's the best place in the world!!

And who can resist a muscley young Irish lad with an Irish accent?!
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Where would you recommend to go?

And I love the accent! I briefly worked with a guy from Ireland and I couldn't get enough of him just talking.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    All your home towns look so lovely, I can't wait to visit America and Canada. I have a friend studying in Kansas at the minute and she loves it (she also says she's never seen so many fast food places in her life!!)

Well I grew up in Ireland but I'm studying in Norwich in England at the minute. It's England's second city and it's quite cute!

Image013.jpg

54545613_6616175aac.jpg

is it just me or are your buildings all leaning to one side :laugh:

I would love to go to europe!!!!! so jealous !!!
  • Steffykins
    Options
    :laugh: Yeah it's the area of the city that's really really old (I'm not even going to pretend to know my history, so I'll just say they date back to the olden days :laugh: ). All the buildings have shifted and now they're all wonky!!

County Cork is a really lovely bit of Ireland, it's right on the bottom aswell so it doesn't rain so much there. Dublin city is lovely aswell, just verrrrrry expensive.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    These are all basically places in TN, we have a street called state street where one side is TN and the other side is VA

Bristol Motor Speedway *the fastest 1/2 mile*

590_bristolnight.jpg

Notes of Interest:

Ryan Newman became the first driver to record a sub-15 second lap at BMS during March 2003. Newman grabbed the Food City 500 pole with a 14.908 sec./128.709 mph lap.

Kurt Busch won his first career Sprint Cup race in the 2002 running of the Food City 500.

Tony Stewart's initial Bristol win came in the 2001 Sharpie 500.

Elliott Sadler's victory in 2001 Food City 500 was the first for Bristol victory for Stuart, Va.'s, famed Wood Brothers team.

In 21 of 40 years since Bristol opened, a driver who won a Sprint Cup race at Bristol went on to win the series title later the same year.

Rusty Wallace snapped Jeff Gordon's four-year Food City 500 winning streak in 1999 and got his 50th win in 2000.

Johnny Allen crossed the finish line first in the inaugural BMS race, but he was driving in relief of Jack Smith, who gets credit for Bristol's first victory.

Bristol is the birthplace of Country music

Bristol_TNVA_sign.jpg

In 1984, the Tennessee General Assembly recognized Bristol as the "Birthplace of Country Music." In 1995, the Commonwealth of Virginia followed, as the Virginia General Assembly recognized Bristol as both the State Senate and the House of Delegates passed identical resolutions honoring Bristol.

In 1998, the Birthplace of Country Music Alliance, along with local congressional officials help to secure passage in the United States Congress of House Concurrent Resolution 214 which recognized Bristol as the "Birthplace of Country Music
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Where I live, we celebrate MULE DAYS...thats right. MULE days. Nothing like a parade of Mules to kick off summer.:laugh:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Where I live, we celebrate MULE DAYS...thats right. MULE days. Nothing like a parade of Mules to kick off summer.:laugh:

Not sure if we have any parade of mules ....LOL...but I sure see alot of jacka$$es parading around here in Indiana.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Livonia, Missouri

I tried to copy and paste a map but it wouldn't transfer. Anyway Livonia is in the very north central part of the state way up by the Iowa line.

Notable native
    Clare Magee - Born on a nearby farm and represented Missouri's 1st congressional district.

I think the most exciting thing that happened in our tiny town is one day when I was a kid a brahma bull escaped and was running all over town creating havoc and excitement. :laugh:

As a kid, my sibs and I used to love to watch the cattle drive go through town. The main road running straight through the town went by the block we lived on and our house was the second one from the road.

There used to be a railroad that ran through where our yard was. There were stil a couple pieces of the tracks in our yard when I was a kid.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Yeah it's the area of the city that's really really old (I'm not even going to pretend to know my history, so I'll just say they date back to the olden days :laugh: ). All the buildings have shifted and now they're all wonky!!

County Cork is a really lovely bit of Ireland, it's right on the bottom aswell so it doesn't rain so much there. Dublin city is lovely aswell, just verrrrrry expensive.

I loved England when I visited!! I really want to see Ireland! I have friends that live there...so I will need to get there! :)

I just want to say WONKY!! :laugh: :wink:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I currently live in CT, about an hour from NYC. There is plenty of "New England" history in the area....

BUT, I was born and raised in Lebanon, Oregon....home of the Strawberry Festival AND the worlds largest strawberry shortcake!!!! :) MMMMM!!

Vintage photo of the cake!
    06-001.jpg

Couldn't get the 2nd pic to work! :(
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town in nc. Most people have never heard of the town but we actually have a university here. Western Carolina Univeristy. Go Catamounts.... We have the smoky mountain railroad and the train wreck from the movie The Fugitive was filmed here. I actually worked at the hospital they show in the movie.

I also lived in Maine for a year and my oldest was born there. We lived in Winter Harbor on the navy base and I had an apartment in the old Rockefeller mansion. The navy bought and refurbished it. Ours was above the CO.
  • nicole0177
    Options
    i live where lucy oball was born!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Jamboree in the Hills
    Located only a few minutes from St. Clairsville, is one of the largest country music concerts in the Mid-West. Jamboree in the Hills[10] has been located near St. Clairsville for 30 years as of July 2006, and continues to attract country music fans from all over the United States and Canada. It is considered the Super Bowl of Country Music.
    ck_ur_br_2.jpg

Downtown St.Clairsville...very cool courthouse. Built in 1886
    bcchouse.gif

downtown shops
    SLIDE21.JPG

It's small an quaint

I live in VA now, but mom still lives in town so at least I get to visit
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    AAAAAAAH you must all go to Ireland, I promise you it's the best place in the world!!

And who can resist a muscley young Irish lad with an Irish accent?!

um would love to go to Ireland, but I will try to resisit the muscley Irishmen and their accents :wink:

back on topic: I currently live in simpsonville, SC haven't been here too long, so I lived most of my life in Ocala FL which is the "Horse Capital of the World"... lol they actually have a bit of a feud with Lexington KY about that but we have the trademark :laugh: .... also where Silver Springs is where they filmed the old tarzn movies, and the creature from the black lagoon... unofficially it has more cloud-to-ground lightning per square mile than any other city in the world, and John Travolta lives just north of town... not too exciting of a town
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Medford MA. Lets see, it was once both the RUM making capital and the Ship building capital of the colonies (in the 1700s), it was also the main route that Paul Revere rode through.

Now I live in Beverly MA. that was the port that General Washington kept the first United States Navy (not that it was much of a Navy at the time).
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    My hometown--which is Virginia Beach, VA--has a couple claims to fame.

1) First Landing--the first place the English Settlers landed in the New World. They came ashore here, meet some Native Americans, got in a fight, one got shot by an arrow, they got back in the ship and sailed up to Jamestown.

2) Largest City in the State of Virginia :drinker:

And my favorite claim to fame:

3) the highest point in the city is the former trash dump now made into a city park!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    We got andy warhols grave here. we also have the museum of his namesake which is the largest single artist museum in the world. sadly near here we have the site where the plane went down on 9/11. I am sure there is more but we are the birthplace of Fred Rogers and one of the old song and dancers fromn old musicals gene kelly? and a few others. We have the worst baseball team in baseball too hahahahaha
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    We have the worst baseball team in baseball too hahahahaha

You live in Boston?
    Don't be a hater