Healthy Recipes for Kids

Options
Thanks in large part to MFP.com, I am doing very well with my weight loss, 10 lbs. since I started. However, I am having a VERY HARD time taking my family along for the ride. Specifically, I have three kids who are set on pasta, pizza and a few healthy foods (like chicken, vegetarian patties from Morningstar Farms, broccoli, salad). They have a very limited palate, which I admit is my fault, because I did not know how to feed them when they were little.

So -- does anybody have any healthy, low GI (their Dad is diabetic, so it's an issue) recipes or resources?

Thanks!

Replies

• Harshberger24
    Options
    nice post.. I would like these too! Waiting on the response!
  • Harshberger24
    Options
  • Harshberger24
    Options
  • Harshberger24
    Options
  • Harshberger24
    Options
  • Harshberger24
    Options
    no idea why it sent 72 times.. sorry!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Pasta is GREAT for hiding pureed veggies! Just steam & puree veggies (like spinach, zucchini, carrots, etc) and mix the puree into your sauces. Steamed spinach wilts up and can hide well in sauces.

Use whole grain pasta, not white.

Make homemade pizzas on whole grain english muffins or thin buns, add some pureed veggies in your tomato sauce and top the bread/muffins with low fat cheese.

Letting them help prepare food also encourages them to eat it!

Spaghetti squash is great because they like to eat the strings like spaghetti.

Make homemade chicken tenders. dip in egg whites and coat w/crushed almonds (for healthy fat) and whole wheat flour,seasonings and bake!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My son is 12, so he's starting to be sort of a real human! But he loves crustless quiche. We make two quiches - one loaded with spinach & mushrooms & whatever; the other LF cheese and ham. Can either use mix of eggs & egg whites or Egg Beaters. Several recipes on allrecipes.com. These are great, because leftovers make a great take-along breakfast!

Another he liked is a turkey burger, served on a sandwich round. I put Kraft 1000 Island Free dressing on there with lettuce and told him it was Big Mac sauce. OK, he didn't fall for that part, but I did. :ohwell:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Jerry Seinfeld's wife has a couple of books with recipes and how she hides veggies in everything. But you can look up recipes on the internet and save yourself the money on the book.

Key is to keep offering new foods and keep offering those foods. It may take them 10+ times of not eating something before they try it and like it.
  • mandyisdandy
    Options
    there is a blog that has what you're looking for. she makes snacks and plans her dinners with recipes.
    i really love her blog even tho i am a college student with no kids. some of her snacks and meals are creative
    http://blog.superhealthykids.com/
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have three kids too. Thus us what I try with them; stemmed veggies, like corn and various mixed with brown rice. Rice cakes with peantbttr or apple butter for snacks, sauteed in pam veggies mixed with kidney beans with added chili powder INSTANT CHILI!!