Why oh WHY has m fat mass increased when I've lost weight? :

Options
Genuinely fed up.
I walked bloody miles (about half a mile ) to Boots today to find out I've lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks :bigsmile: (gained due to a wonderful, yet dangerous, all inclusive holiday in Spain) but my body fat has gone from 21% to 24.5%
WHY :mad:
Love from a furious me x

Replies

• Genuinely fed up.
    I walked bloody miles (about half a mile ) to Boots today to find out I've lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks :bigsmile: (gained due to a wonderful, yet dangerous, all inclusive holiday in Spain) but my body fat has gone from 21% to 24.5%
    WHY :mad:
    Love from a furious me x
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    how was it measured?

because, hydration levels can effect the reading. Also, the margin of error is usually 5%, so that could also account for the difference.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.....Calling Banks :bigsmile: Can we get some of your expertise advice please sir? :laugh: :laugh:

Are you not eating enough? Are you eating healthy? Not sure where Bank's starvation mode article is but I'm sure it could have something to do with that. :huh: Not sure...Sorry I couldn't be of more help.:cry: Sorry I'll verify....I know it says something about storing fat in starvation mode and using muscle to fuel your body. :tongue:
  • Oh Christ no.
    I love food; cooking, eating, going out for! I just try to be a bit sensible (skanky word) during the week then eat whatever I want at weekend so my metabolism and body are always happy and I never feel like I'm dieting-just a lifestyle.
    I'll write 'my story' in the stories section when I have a few mins :smile:
    I got weighed on a Stand on it, proper machine that does weight, BMI, fat etc.
    Erm PS, I'm baffled about the bank stuff-is that an in-joke lol.
    PPS both of u have lost an amazing amount of weight!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I tend to doubt that you would have a 4.5% body fat change in 3 weeks. That's just not likely. I would tend to agree with Viv, it was probably due to external factors and margin for error. I mean, you'd have to have some kind of muscle eating syndrome to lose that much muscle in less then a month. Even if you starve yourself, it takes month(s) to lose muscle in percentages that high.
  • I have the print outs though :sad:
    I get weighed whenever I can be bothered to go to Boots.
    21/02/08 states:
    8'1
    BMI 19.4
    Body fat 28.0

Then 01/04/08
    7'13

Then a few in between, reaching today and 3 weeks ago. But on the 10/05/08 it says my body fat was 19.1

Should I ignore it then :cry:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    no idea what those printouts are. you'll have to explain.
  • From such weight machines, they give you a 'reciept' with date and all records etc.
    Cost 70 bloody p.