Fell off the bandwagon today.... so mad at myself

Options
I always do so well during the day with my eating, but as soon as dinner time hits, Its different. It's not even the meals, its the snacking afterwards. For example, I had steamed fresh vegetables for lunch and ham rolled up with some mustard.... then after that..... Goldfish. like three handfuls.....and 2 granola bars....

Now I'm completely discouraged and it sucks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Join one of the "Nighttime eating" challenges here. They have lots of good ideas. You are certainly not alone - we all struggle with that.
  • Toaster88
    Options
    Don't look back, look ahead. Remember this feeling and use for future avoidance.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Late night eating was a super bad habit of mine, and it's still what gets me on most days that I'm over on my calorie goal! It takes time to make lifestyle changes and no one is ever perfect. When you mess up, learn from it and move on. Don't dwell on every mistake, because then you'll find yourself feeling discouraged and ready to quit! One night of bad eating won't ruin everything as long as you don't give up!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    We all fall off the wagon sometimes....Just don't get drug behind and it every rock in the road afterwards. Get back on as soon as you can.
  • MaggieVieira
    Options
    Oh don't beat yourself up. I like to snack after dinner and I don't know what it is but I found a little trick that works for me. After dinner I go and floss my teeth. LOL I know it sounds a little crazy but it helps me from snacking. I guess I feel that I just cleaned my teeth so why do I want to get them dirty again. Well if anything I'm sure this gave you a little laugh. Good Luck!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That's my problem when I'm home all day. I get bored and all I want to do is eat. I have found out that if it's not in the house, I can't eat it so I try not to buy a bunch of junk when I go to the store.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    No need to beat yourself up about it! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get ready to conquer the world. Well maybe not the world but prepare yourself for a healthy lifestyle. Avoid keeping those items in your house or desk at work if you can. If you don't have them around then you can't eat them. And I wish you the best of luck. I fell off the wagon for a few weeks but I am back and ready to do this!!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Can you get some extra exercise in yet today to help negate the damage? Don't beat yourself up too bad though. That won't help you move forward.
  • dbcja
    dbcja Posts: 54
    Options
    I find the trick is to disassociate food with the activity you are doing at night. I eat biscuts and drink sweet tea while I wach TV. Bad Habit. So I have started turning off the TV and doing something else for a while until I feel strong enough to resist. Try going for a walk, learning a craft or playing board games. Something where you dont have access to food or are using your hands so cant use them to eat :o)

Good Luck.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off...the next hour or even tomorrow is a new day...don't let this get you down. We all make mistakes, but remember we are not in a race to see who can lose the most and how fast. :flowerforyou:
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it...sweat if off!!!

Burn those extra calories tomorrow!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    whats done is done just work it off as soon as you can
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    if it makes you feel better, I devoured an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's yesterday and did not work out at all. that's over a 1000 calories in one sitting. ughhhh

but get over it and move on! we can do this!
  • greyfeathers
    Options
    It's so easy to get discouraged after a slip-up, but just remember that you aren't defeated until you give up entirely.. keep going!

As for after-dinner snacking, that is my WORST problem so I can totally understand. I do great with lunch and dinner and then afterward.. boom, whole day ruined. What I've starting doing is letting myself eat as much vegetables as I want and drinking a ton of tea, and instead of mindlessly finishing off a pack of cookies in front of the computer I'm mindlessly gnawing on a carrot.
  • cmahaffy
    Options
    Oh honey, don't be so hard on yourself! Goldfish crackers are baked and relatively low is fat and calories, considering how many you can eat in a serving. Try to stay positive, all of us have had really good and not so good days. If you know this is a habit you have (night time snacking) try to adjust your calories at other times during the day so maybe you have a few extra to use at night. Or try low cal snacks like fruit or raw veggies. Please don't be mad at yourself, that could make things worse! Start fresh tomorrow :)
  • CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Know what you mean. That time in the evening from about 7 pm until bedtime is sooooo hard. Here are some things I have tried:
    Keep my hands busy if I'm watching TV. Knitting, squeeze ball in the hands or exercise elastic. Actually, I found a correlation between my evening snacking and watching TV, so I'm trying to limit the TV in the evening. I play online games or read or email or surf the internet, do puzzles or even do house chores if I have the energy. If nothing but vegging in front of the set appeals, I look for channels without ads (every other ad is for pizza or worse) or watch a video. If all else fails, I take a warm bath and go to bed.
    Meanwhile, don't beat yourself up. So you fell off the wagon. Just climb back on. We can do this.
  • kimpaige12
    Options
    Oh I totally fall off the bandwagon some days....and then the damn wagon runs me over the next day. So, I totally feel ya there! Try not to be so hard on yourself. So you had some gold fish and a granola bar or three...you didn't go to DQ and get an extra large snickers blizzard! So take a deep breath, tell yourself that tomorrow is a new day and realize how awesome you are doing!! We aren't perfect...perfect is BORING!
  • tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, don't be so hard on yourself! Goldfish crackers are baked and relatively low is fat and calories, considering how many you can eat in a serving. Try to stay positive, all of us have had really good and not so good days. If you know this is a habit you have (night time snacking) try to adjust your calories at other times during the day so maybe you have a few extra to use at night. Or try low cal snacks like fruit or raw veggies. Please don't be mad at yourself, that could make things worse! Start fresh tomorrow :)

I agree with re-allocating your calories. I know that I am going to want an evening snack so when I plan out my day I always have a snack logged for the evening....then I don't over eat at dinner and I know that I have a snack later (plus I am usually up fairly late so there is no mindless eating ;)
  • GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! You've all been super encouraging. Ya'll are right: Tomorrow is a new day!!!