Hiya!

Options
Hi there! I'm Nika, and I'm morbidly obese. I'm eating a lot better than I have been in years - I'm going on a month without fast food, and many more months since I cleaned out my pantries and opted for healthier snacks and foods. My main problem these days is being so in tune with my inner sloth. I don't do anything but sit on my computer these days because I'm so ashamed to go out with my friends, ashamed because of what I fear they think of being seen with me. So, I'm taking it upon myself to workout at home, without the computer, while I'm still iced in, and then starting running (Couch to 5K) in the spring to help shed the pounds. Any advice you have as to exercises I can do at home (since I have absolutely no equipment except for dumbbells) would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to shedding pounds with you all.

Replies

• life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp
  • driscollmc
    Options
    hey! happy you're here with us :) personally, i'd get either P90X or Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. The 30DS has a lot of great exercises you can do at home. but really, just start going for walks at a fast pace. it works a lot better than you think. is there a gym near you? because it really helps to have the gym, especially when you're first starting out. hope that helps!
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Put some music on and dance (as long as you're moving) and you will be amazed at how many calories you burn. The Zumba DVD's are good but honestly any music and keep moving...good luck...you will find lots of support here.
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Dris, I love everything JM does and I have the 30 Day Shred, but I've done it so much over the past year that I'm starting to not get as much of a burn from it anymore. I take care of my elderly grandmother, so I can't really get out too much (unless its for like work or errands), and I don't have the budget for a gym membership, so I'm trying to improvise as much as I can until I can get out and do some running. Thanks for the tip, though. I appreciate it. :D
  • Katrina634
    Options
    I do the 30 day Shred, Shred with Weights and Cardio Max from the Biggest Losers trainers. I also do Insanity from BeachBody. I switch often so I don't get bored and my body doesn't get used to the same ol' thing. The key for me has been inviting a 1-2 friends over that have the same goals and that are motivating, and do them together. :) I can feel my body changing, although I wish the scale would move faster, but it's not a sprint....it's a marathon. Good luck! :)
  • Smile247
    Options
    I really recommend workout DVDs because you can sweat buckets in the comfort of your own house and no-one has to know! Davina McCall's DVD is very good.
  • mkfehringer
    Options
    Better Homes and Gardens had an article (June 2009) on the Strength to Lose that used lunges, squats, leg bicycles (laying on the floor and pumping the legs), etc. to work the muscles using your own body weight. It has done wonders for me and needs nothing more than a chair to keep me from falling over. Moving, Moving, Moving seems to be the key. Walk around a superstore (like walmart) if need to get out of the weather. Good luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Do you have Netflix? They have a lot of workouts on their streaming and rental programs.

The library has workout DVDs and they will probably mail them to you.

Good luck! You can't change everything at once, so do what you are comfortable doing and don't beat yourself up. You really just need to move more than you used to move, and you will see results.

Give yourself credit for all you ARE doing!! Congrats! Running can be hard on your joints if you are extremely overweight. Take it slow so you don't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! You're all so kind. I appreciate all the kind words. I don't have Netflix, but I do have some DVDs that I'll have to implement here soon as well. :D
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable? I have Comcast and there are a lot of free fitness programs on OnDemand.
  • Lantern823
    Options
    welcome to the site it is extremely helpful and it makes you accountable for your actions..im here if you need any suppot/motivation