Anyone getting ready for their 1st 10k????

Options
Hi,

I've never run a 5k or a 10k, but I registered for the 10k at the end of April in Champaign Illinois. I don't know what to expect race day, or throughout training. I seemed to have hit a plateau and am having a hard time pushing past it. I was up to 4 miles a run, but I got sick and my kids got sick and since them I'm struggling to hit 2 miles per run.:grumble:

Does anyone have any good tips for pushing past a set back?
Do you have a favorite training program?
How often do you run each week?
How do you set your pace when you're not on a treadmill?

Thank you for any tips you have:flowerforyou:

Replies

• valentine72
    Options
    You should try some Fartlik runs 2 times a week and run for total mileage 3 times a week. I take off 2 days a week. I did this when I was training for a Half Marathon and it worked for me with no problems. I tend to run 10k and 5k races more now. Is this race on the road or is it crosscountry. I would also check out the course and try to run on it at least twice before race day. That way you'll know what hazards you have to deal with. Also it will decrease your anxiety.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You should try some Fartlik runs 2 times a week and run for total mileage 3 times a week. I take off 2 days a week. I did this when I was training for a Half Marathon and it worked for me with no problems. I tend to run 10k and 5k races more now. Is this race on the road or is it crosscountry. I would also check out the course and try to run on it at least twice before race day. That way you'll know what hazards you have to deal with. Also it will decrease your anxiety.

The race is on the road. I'm definitely not ready for off road. I will google Fartlik runs and see what that's all about. I'm really starting to like running. I never thought I would say that:wink:

Thanks for the help:smile:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good tips for pushing past a set back? It's mental - tell yourself you can do this and push through. If you have to slow up and walk a little then start running again. As soon as I get a runner block I have to refuse to let myself think that way and I push through. My worse is mile 0.5 to 1.5 after I get to 1.5 I can keep going to anything. Not sure why but that is my tough spot.
    Do you have a favorite training program? I've never followed a program but I've been told a couch to 5K is a good plan. I use Nike Plus and they have programs I can't fit them into my schedule or weather here.
    How often do you run each week? I usually run 2-3 times a week if I can. I always aim for at least 2.
    How do you set your pace when you're not on a treadmill? I use Nike Plus. It keeps track of calores, pace, distance. I can set challenges on their site for myself or join a large group. They also have a new product coming out in April that is suppose to be a great product for runners. Need to do a little more research.

I started running (on going) July 2010. I ran 2 5K's and 1 10K last year. Then in Jan 2011 I ran the WDW Marathon Weekend. I finished 42.4 miles in 3 days. AMAZING experience! I'm not fast more like a jogger. I got through the weekend by telling myself it's all mental and I will do it! I did 5K, half marathon, and a full marathon.

I also run at 5am and late at night. With 3 kids I have to adjust myself around them so I can be home when they are and awake. It's a struggle. Some weeks are easier than others but you can do it!
  • lculian
    Options
    Does anyone have any good tips for pushing past a set back? It's mental - tell yourself you can do this and push through. If you have to slow up and walk a little then start running again. As soon as I get a runner block I have to refuse to let myself think that way and I push through. My worse is mile 0.5 to 1.5 after I get to 1.5 I can keep going to anything. Not sure why but that is my tough spot.
    Do you have a favorite training program? I've never followed a program but I've been told a couch to 5K is a good plan. I use Nike Plus and they have programs I can't fit them into my schedule or weather here.
    How often do you run each week? I usually run 2-3 times a week if I can. I always aim for at least 2.
    How do you set your pace when you're not on a treadmill? I use Nike Plus. It keeps track of calores, pace, distance. I can set challenges on their site for myself or join a large group. They also have a new product coming out in April that is suppose to be a great product for runners. Need to do a little more research.

I started running (on going) July 2010. I ran 2 5K's and 1 10K last year. Then in Jan 2011 I ran the WDW Marathon Weekend. I finished 42.4 miles in 3 days. AMAZING experience! I'm not fast more like a jogger. I got through the weekend by telling myself it's all mental and I will do it! I did 5K, half marathon, and a full marathon.

I also run at 5am and late at night. With 3 kids I have to adjust myself around them so I can be home when they are and awake. It's a struggle. Some weeks are easier than others but you can do it!

You are inspirational!!! Thank you, and I relate to the schedule struggles. Today when I work out I'll mentally push myself to break back through. I know you're right it's all in my head. If I could do it 3 weeks ago I can do it now!

I'll look into the Nike product too. Thanks for the tip and inspiration:happy:
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    good post! I just started running in Nov.2010. I've done 3 5k's so far, with 2 planed for Feb. 1 in March, and then my first 10k in April as well!
    I am a jog/walker, so I battle with my limits everytime I run. I just look ahead and say, 'when I get right there, I'm turning it back on!' hahahah
    I have a little pocket metronome from playing guitar. I find out my foot step pace while on the treadmill and then set the metronome for my strikes while out in the wild :) Mine has a volumn control, so I can turn it down and still feel it ticking away in my pocket/ bra. :)
    Good luck, and I look forward to seeing all the other advice that gets posted here!
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump,

I'm running my first 10K in April--I've done 5Ks but this will be a fun challenge.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner, and I am getting back into this year. I'm running in Ragnar in July, and the 10k Dirty Dash in September. I am way excited about it.
  • lculian
    Options
    good post! I just started running in Nov.2010. I've done 3 5k's so far, with 2 planed for Feb. 1 in March, and then my first 10k in April as well!
    I am a jog/walker, so I battle with my limits everytime I run. I just look ahead and say, 'when I get right there, I'm turning it back on!' hahahah
    I have a little pocket metronome from playing guitar. I find out my foot step pace while on the treadmill and then set the metronome for my strikes while out in the wild :) Mine has a volumn control, so I can turn it down and still feel it ticking away in my pocket/ bra. :)
    Good luck, and I look forward to seeing all the other advice that gets posted here!

I like it :bigsmile: a metronome, are they expensive?
  • margie_77
    Options
    You can get them pretty cheap.. Walmart carries some little kid starter guitars, and I think I remember seeing one there for $10ish! :)
    Also, RAGNAR woot!! That's what got me started running. Right after the one here last Oct. a few friends decided that they wanted to put together a team for 2011!
  • lculian
    Options
    You can get them pretty cheap.. Walmart carries some little kid starter guitars, and I think I remember seeing one there for $10ish! :)
    Also, RAGNAR woot!! That's what got me started running. Right after the one here last Oct. a few friends decided that they wanted to put together a team for 2011!
    OK, I looked up RAGNAR, Have you run one yet, or will 2011 be your first? It sounds Crazy, but in a really awesome way!!!:bigsmile:
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump!

i'm planning to run my first 10K in july!
  • Mark1968
    Options
    I started running a few months ago. I ran my first 5k a couple of weeks ago. My goal was to do it in under 30 minutes which I did. I am signed up to do a 10k on 2/26/11.

I use Hal Higdons training schedules. I have to say my training was dead on and meeting my goal was no problem. I use his free training programs at halhigdon.com

Good Luck,
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do the Ft. Worth cowtown 10k in about 3 weeks. If I can keep a reasonable pace I should be more then fueled by the crowds of people and other runners.
  • margie_77
    Options
    I have not done Ragnar yet, this will be my first year. It does sound totally crazy expecially since last year at Ragnar time I wasn't even thinking about running yet! hahahha