Is too much protein BAD???

Options
Hey I am new to this whole tracking my diet thing, but I really never thought of protein as a bad thing. Especially I would think I need more protein because I am also trying to build muscle while losing weight. I am below on calarie/carb/fat intake, but I am in the red on my protein intake. Can someone please explain to me why its telling me I am having too much protein??

I have a 1200 calarie a day diet right now (I have a small frame) to reach my goal, and having only a 6oz grilled salmon added sooo much protein. Help please?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No, having too much protein isn't bad. Plain and simple.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Its only bad if its not properly managed by balancing it with carbs and fat. The recommended amount for women is about 54g and I eat, at least twice everyday. I've never seen/suffered any negative effects.
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Protein is great for you =) Extra will just pass through you ;)
  • lilpull
    Options
    Protein is not a bad thing. It would be better to have extra protein compared to extra carbs/fat as protein keeps your blood sugar stable (and energy levels) and builds muscle. The reason you're in the red for your protein is because the site has your goals for daily carb/protein/fat preset for you. If you'd like you can go into your goals and manually adjust your goals for the day concerning carb/protein/fat percentage. That is what I personally did because I think it is healthier to have higher protein and lower carbs than what the average person will tell you that you need. That is great you're eating fish--- I should do more of the same myself!
  • xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm always "in the red" on my protein too. I've learned to ignore it. haha!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this and most people (especially in the West) say that protein is good for you. You need it to build muscle and for other functions of the body. However, too much protein IS bad for you - have you seen some of the sad states of people on the Aitkin's Diet, for instance? The WHO (World Health Organization) has done numerous studies and has concluded that people with lower protein intakes (such as in indigenous peoples and tribes in many areas) are actually healthier. These people are also often extremely fit from all of the running around they do. (The wonders of building muscle and healthy bodies on 2%-10% protein intake - it's crazy!)

Harvard Medical School also released conclusions under its Milk Study that too much protein is not good. Their conclusions are that drinking milk or consuming dairy products 3 times a day as advertised by the dairy industry is not good for people. Of course, back in the 1920's doctors recommended limited dairy intake and increasing the consumption of leafy greens such as spinach instead. Seems like we lost this knowledge somewhere in the advertising industry.

Further studies have also shown that countries with people with the highest levels of protein intake also have the highest levels of preventative diseases. Most people don't hear about these things, and when they are put out there the meat and dairy industries try to sue or hush-hush the results, so we sit here and eat too much protein and consume too much of things that really aren't that good for us.

While many people continue to ignore this information (and many are really enraged by it), these are some of the things we studied when I got my Master of Public Health degree (I just graduated in December). Oh, the joys of grad school!
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    lean protein is great for building muscle.
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can have too much protein. It can cause stress on your kidneys and liver. In college, my nutrition professor told us that most Americans eat way too much protein. Of course, I know there are different opinions on this!
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this and most people (especially in the West) say that protein is good for you. You need it to build muscle and for other functions of the body. However, too much protein IS bad for you - have you seen some of the sad states of people on the Aitkin's Diet, for instance? The WHO (World Health Organization) has done numerous studies and has concluded that people with lower protein intakes (such as in indigenous peoples and tribes in many areas) are actually healthier. These people are also often extremely fit from all of the running around they do. (The wonders of building muscle and healthy bodies on 2%-10% protein intake - it's crazy!)

Harvard Medical School also released conclusions under its Milk Study that too much protein is not good. Their conclusions are that drinking milk or consuming dairy products 3 times a day as advertised by the dairy industry is not good for people. Of course, back in the 1920's doctors recommended limited dairy intake and increasing the consumption of leafy greens such as spinach instead. Seems like we lost this knowledge somewhere in the advertising industry.

Further studies have also shown that countries with people with the highest levels of protein intake also have the highest levels of preventative diseases. Most people don't hear about these things, and when they are put out there the meat and dairy industries try to sue or hush-hush the results, so we sit here and eat too much protein and consume too much of things that really aren't that good for us.

While many people continue to ignore this information (and many are really enraged by it), these are some of the things we studied when I got my Master of Public Health degree (I just graduated in December). Oh, the joys of grad school!

You're absolutely correct. The advertising companies are totally misleading the public on what is healthy. The FDA doesn't help much either!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Oh, God, don't get me started on the FDA. I can't decide who is worse - them or the Dept of Ag! (Had to work with them both last summer, haha.)
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    protein is great but too much and i mean tooooooo much consistently will cause your kidneys to overwork....not so good then....but eat proteins it will keep you full and help you build lean muscle mass! :)
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    too much animal protein is bad for you. i think it leeches calcium out of your system according to some books i have read.. so try alternative sources of protein! i think seafood shouldn't be too bad, but you can also get protein from things like beans, tofu, and vegetables like spinach!