Shakeology

Options
I know there has to be someone out here in MFPLand that has done this, is doing it, or has questions about it. I am one of the ones who has a question about it. Maybe more than one question.
#1 - Do you like it? The taste? I have tried a couple different shakes and they taste like minerals and vitamins. I realize it's not going to taste like a chocolate milk shake, but was it good?
#2 - Have you had any success with it? I really am thinking about dropping the money on it, if I can truly get some people to tell me it worked for them. I know if something works for one person it may not necessarily work for another. I get that. But I would like to know I have a shot at it working.

I have a good track record at losing a pound a week. I started in late June of last year and have lost almost 30 lbs. That is averaging a pound a week. The thing is, I get tired of the same old things. I really try to switch up the routines, my food, and I do zig zag my calories, but I need something else. It just feels like I am slowing - which I know will happen. I need a boost. Is this Shakeology stuff worth it?
HELP!!!

Replies

• shastacrystal
    Options
    I cant stomach the GreenBerry but I do like the Chocolate one!! I really like the product, I only just recently went off of it because I was short on money but if you can afford it, it is definitely worth it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    #1. I use the chocolate kind EVERYDAY. I LOVE the taste, but I don't ever drink it plain. I add a few things to it because 140 calories isn't enough for my calorie goal. Lately I have been stuck on adding a half a banana and 1 tbsp of peanut butter and blending with water and ice. Tastes great! Oh, and if you mix it with milk instead of water, it actually DOES taste like a chocolate milkshake. It doesn't taste like one when you just mix it with water, though.

#2 As far as health benefits, it has given me tons of energy and I have seriously (HONESTLY) have had NO CRAVINGS for sweets since I started drinking it everyday which was back on January 3. I've always had it at least 3 times a week, but the cravings just don't happen anymore now that I drink it everyday. I have noticed other things as well, like better digestion and regularity (much better than what yogurt gives me, even though it works the same way. I guess cause I never had yogurt everyday?) I've also used it off and on for about 2 years now and it has helped lower my cholesterol and aided in my weight loss cause I use it as a meal replacement or a post workout drink.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    And one more thing about the price. Since you are replacing a meal with it, then stop buying the other things you are replacing completely! That way you will always have the money which is just $3 or so a day...which is actually cheaper than ANY healthy meal you will get at a restaurant including Subway. :flowerforyou:
  • tweety170
    Options
    I really love the chocolate one. I don't use a full scoop because I would get that strange taste that you're describing, so my "30 day supply" bag lasts at least a month and a half, if not longer. I use about 3/4 of a scoop. They also sent me this 30 day calendar with different recipes. I always add half a banana and almond milk, or maybe some peppermint extract, or coconut extract...there are endless possibilities! I have lost about 9.5 pounds since January 12th. I have a shake for breakfast everyday, then eat reasonably and exercise a few times a week. I just feel better overall, seems like I have more energy and don't get sleepy at 3pm like I used to. Good luck and you can always ask me if you have any other questions. :) By the way--I blend mine, I've tried shaking it but I'm not really a fan of that.
  • tweety170
    Options
    I totally agree with everything previous poster said. I use almond milk in mind, very creamy and tastes just like a chocolate milkshake--no joke.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was looking into the Shakeology until I saw the price and so have begun looking into Visalus, it is much cheaper. However I don't know how it tastes.
  • scoleman81
    Options
    I've been having an Amazing Grass shake with almond milk first thing in the morning. Is Shakeology more beneficial? Thanks
  • tracyann98
    tracyann98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Greenberry is an acquired taste...vanilla almond milk and fruit or fat free yogurt add ins really make a difference. The Chocolate is really good. Personally, my husband and I both feel like the chocolate taste is very strong (and we LOVE chocolate), so I just use one cup of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond milk (only 40 calories) + 1/2 cup water. Not only does taste creamier but you get more volume too!. I've heard that adding a spoon of fat free White Chocoloate Pudding mix is good too.

I can't say enough about how it makes me feel, I have so much energy, I sleep more soundly (helpful for waking at 4am to fit in a workout), and most importantly, NO SWEETS cravings (a common response). This is one of my biggest weaknesses so I am thrilled about it. As a side note, I recently had my gallbladder removed, which of course can cause many digestive issues. I find these issues to be pretty much obsolete now! I was having to take digestive enzymes with every meal and find I only have to supplement with heavy meals thanks to Shakeology.

I wish you much luck and continued success with your fitness goals. :)
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I've been having an Amazing Grass shake with almond milk first thing in the morning. Is Shakeology more beneficial? Thanks

To be honest with you I haven't heard about that drink or the other one that someone else listed above. I will list some things about Shakeology and let you decide between them since you know about the one you have.

Shakeology is NOT a protein powder. It does have a good amount of protein and amino acids in it, though. It also has antioxidants which have been proven to reduce oxidative damage caused by free radicals, and they also lower the chances of degenerative diseases such as heart disease, high blood pressure, dementia, and arthritis. It also has phytonutrients to help boost immunity and slow down the aging process with its alkalizing properties. Plus, there are adaptogens with protect the body from stress and helps increase hormonal balance and increases immunity. There are prebiotics too which promote better intestinal health by aiding with digestion. And there are digestive enzymes to help break down foods and increase in nutrient absorption.

There are over 70 natural ingredients in Shakeology including such things as acai berries, pea fiber, barley grass, quinoa, green tea, and Goji berries. If you actually bought all 70 ingredients to dry them out and grind them up to make the Shakeology at home, can you imagine how much money you would be spending in the end? Considering this, the price of Shakeology is more than reasonable.

In an independent 90 day study, participants only changed one thing about their diet as opposed to the control group which was to have 1 shake per day. Everyone did moderate exercise 3 days per week. The Shakeology group had improved digestion and regularity as well as reduced cravings compared to the control group at the end of week 1. By the end of week 4, they had increased energy and stamina, reported improved mental clarity, and had lost more weight than the others. By the end of the 90 days, they lost more weight and inches overall than the control with the average being 10 pounds and 2 inches from the waist, lowered cholesterol on average by 30% with some as high as 70% (LDL was reduced on average by 38%), and they had also developed healthier skin, hair, and nails.

I don't know anything about those other products as stated before, but there's the facts of what Shakeology is and can do. If your shake can do all that and more, then please send me a message and let me know where to get it. :bigsmile:
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    its just to expensive, you dont need a powder!!...you can get it from whole foods and save tons!! with the stuff they make you add to it, it comes out to more than "just $3 a day", plus it does have to much sugar even if its from fruits...my opinion!!:tongue:
  • scoleman81
    Options
    I think I'll stick to my Amazing Grass. Shakeology sounds like any other green superfood, but with a much higher price tag.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think I'll stick to my Amazing Grass. Shakeology sounds like any other green superfood, but with a much higher price tag.

I checked out the Amazing Grass site. Do you use the wheat grass, green superfood, berry superfood, or the chocolate superfood?
  • mauntler716
    Options
    My wife & I are using the Chocolate Shakeology. I agree with the above posts: it tastes really good, I've experienced the increased energy, and yes...it is a little on the expensive side...BUT....it seems like anything that is worth while is a little more expensive. Now, as far as losing weight...I found something else more beneficial. It is the Boresha Products: BSkinny Coffee, NuvoGene Tea, & ARG Matrix. And there a lot more benefits with these products than just weight loss. I found info on them at boresharesearch.com.
  • Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend got me hooked on it. I was very against it at first since the price was so high but after taking it for a month I find it has made me feel better all around in my day. I don't even need my coffee anymore. I don't know about the weight loss part since I haven't been drinking it that long but if your looking for a good healthy start to your day it's a good choice. The greenberry you have to get use to and is only drinkable with fruits added in my opinion. The chocolate is good and even better with a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • scoleman81
    Options

I checked out the Amazing Grass site. Do you use the wheat grass, green superfood, berry superfood, or the chocolate superfood?

I use the chocolate green superfood.
  • sforscher
    sforscher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, scoleman81! I saw your post about Amazing Grass and wanted to share this comparison I wrote with you. This comparison shows that Shakeology is actually cheaper than AG. Take a look, and let me know what you think! http://www.bestshakesupplement.com/shakeology-2/shakeology-alternative