Super Bowl Party Ideas?

Options
kt_rubino
kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
Like most of you I will probably either be hosting or attending a Super Bowl Party and was wondering if anyone had any healthy appetizer ideas?

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Bump (been pondering the same question)
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is good... Avocado is high in fat, but it's high in GOOD fat. So that in moderation would be a nice choice paired with veggies. It's one of my favorite snacks. Fruit salad is yummy as well. Topped with a little whipped cream it makes for a delicious dessert. Those are a couple of things that I have liked in the past. :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For me the super bowl is definitely a cheat day. I behaved during Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the Super Bowl is definitely a cheat holiday for me. I'll just work myself hard the rest of the week.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hummus dip. I love the Sabra brand that they sell in Costco. You can use carrots and celery of pepper instead of chips. If you want something crunchy I also like the rice crackers by Seasmark.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Jalapeno and garlic hummus (homemade with no olive oil) and raw veggies is what I'm bringing to my friend's belly buster so I know there's at least ONE thing there I can eat!
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I go for ground turkey stuff--chili or meatballs. Veggies and dip are always good--hummus too. I always do sour cream with the ranch packet for ranch dip, everyone always likes it and it's low cal. Salsa is good, but the chips aren't the best. I say work out really hard in the morning and just eat in moderation.
  • alexiscasey
    Options
    Last year I made ALL healthy foods...let me think...I made fresh pico de gallo, baked zucchini (dipped in breadcrumbs and baked in the oven) with homemade marinara sauce and a buffalo chicken dip...all from a weight watchers web site! I cooked for a ton of boys and NONE of them even noticed that everything was healthy! haha...let me dig around and find the recipes! =]

edit: here they are! I also made a taco dip that was from the weight watcher's recipe site too.

Here's the taco dip:

1 can (15.5 oz) refried black beans
    1 Tbsp. Chili powder
    1/2 Tsp. ground cumin
    1 Cup sour cream
    1 Cup Shredded cheddar cheese
    3 Green onions, chopped
    1/3 cup sliced black olives
    1 Tomato, chopped

To Make:

Mix beans, chili powder and cumin and spread on the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate (I use the glass baking dish)
    Top with layers of remaining ingredients. I usually put the tomatoes on top because they get everything soggy
    Refrigerate several hours or until chilled.

Lighter Buffalo Chicken Dip (I still crave this from LAST YEAR! and only 111 calories per serving...and a serving is 1/2 cup so you know you won't eat all that!)

4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
    1 cup fat free sour cream
    1/2 cup franks hot sauce (or whatever kind of hot sauce you like)
    1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
    1 Tsp white wine vinegar
    2 Cups cooked, shredded chicken (they have it in the pouches/cans and I've used that before and it's good)

Mix the first 5 ingredients together until smooth, add the chicken and put this in the crock pot (or a giant soup pot) on low for 3-4 hours. Serve WARM. (I served it with celery sticks!)

Baked Zucchini Sticks (My DH is obsessed with these!)

3 medium zucchini sliced into stickes
    1 large egg white
    1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    2 tbsp grated pecorino romano cheese
    cooking spray
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    salt
    pepper

Preheat oven to 425. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese. Shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Dip zucchini sticks into eggs and then into bread crumbs and cheese mixture. Do this a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes util brown.

If you want a really healthy marinara here's one from the WW site as well:

1 tsp EVOO
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 28oz. can of crushed tomatoes
    1 small bay leaf
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tbsp chopped, fresh basil
    salt and pepper

In a medium pot, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, but don't burn. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and a bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Pico de Gallo

1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
    1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and serve immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days.

Hope those helped!
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A pot of chili made with boca crumbles:)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hummus with pita chips (yummers!), fresh vegetables, olives.

When I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes and I basically LIVED off of this grape salad recipe. Just sub light/fat free for the sour cream and cream cheese, and use Splenda instead of sugar. There is a brown sugar topping, which I put on, but I eat around to avoid.

I've made this for approximately a bajillion barbecues/potlucks and always get someone who asks me for the recipe or requests that I make it again.

http://www.food.com/recipe/best-grape-salad-35450
  • speednut
    Options
    I'm making some lower fat wheat pizza with turkey pepperoni, green pepper, onion and sliced tomato. Also making some lower fat turkey chili. Will have lots of celery & carrot sticks to dip in homemade salsa. Might have to drink a few light beers also. This will most likely be a "cheat day". I may go over a bit but it won't be much. Extra exercise will help.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Gina (Skinny Taste) has a great thread about this:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/top-20-skinny-superbowl-roundup.html

While you're there, check out her site. It's all kinds of awesome! :)
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Jalapeno and garlic hummus (homemade with no olive oil) and raw veggies is what I'm bringing to my friend's belly buster so I know there's at least ONE thing there I can eat!

Would you mind sharing that recipe please? That sounds delicious!!!
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    carrot sticks and instead of pizza have a 6inch sub on wheat bread :tongue:
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Went to a free class at the library for this and she made some awesome chicken nuggets....
    I don't have amounts because I typically do not measure but here is the jist of it:
    Preheat oven to 450
    Put a cookie cooling rack on a baking pan with short sides and spray with cooking spray (You don't have to do this but if you do then you won't have to turn the chicken over. It will cook on both sides at once)
    Take boneless/skinless chicken breast pieces and coat with flour
    Dip each piece in skim milk (she used low fat buttermilk)
    Roll each piece in coating of choice: She used crushed cornflakes with seasoning. I made them with crushed wheat chex. and lawery's Seasoning Salt. Others have used crackers or bread crumbs)
    Place pieces on the prepared rack and bake for 10 minutes. They are crisp and delicious!
    She also took prepared salsa and added chopped peaches. I would add chopped pineapple....but that is just me.

Another salsa dip that I love.....
    Diced tomatoes with green chilies
    Cilantro
    Corn
    Black beans
    Olives
    Onion
    Greenpepper
    italian dressing (yes, italian!)
  • Mkramer81
    Options
    Foodnetwork.com has tons of healthy recipes for everything. Hummus is always a great snack paired with fresh cut up veggies. You can also have pita chips if your a chip person ( i am). Vegetarian chili is also a favorite at Superbowl. Enjoy -
  • artgreendog
    artgreendog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Healthy and Nummy! Quick and easy with only 4 ingredients!

TEXAS CAVIAR
    2 Avocados, diced
    3 Tomatoes, diced (I don't use the insides)
    1/2 Onion, or to taste, diced
    2 cans black eyed peas (rinsed well and drained)

Tortilla Chips to eat this with
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You could do a baked potato bar and have some healthy options including veggie chili.
  • rosita76
    Options
    Skinny Gina website has a few good Superbowl foods!
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! With all these yummy recipes, I have plenty to chose from.