constantly starving... good sign?

Options
I used to eat minimal calories with weekend binges on a sedentary lifestyle, and i have the 200+lbs to show for it. I've started making it a point to eat a set amount of calories everyday, and now i'm doing the food blog to help with that. I started working out 3-6 days a week for a minimum of 30min each time. I haven't lost any weight, haven't gained any either. I'm still new to the routine, and until today, everything seemed to be about the same as before (no major hunger pains or cravings). Today, i am starving. My tummy is rumbling loud enough that my coworkers are looking at me funny. I read the nice post about how it's important to not go into starvation mode, and i think my calories are enough to prevent that. However, is this constant rumble normal? Has anyone else had the angry tummy or am i doing something wrong?

Replies

• kumamushi
    kumamushi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Angry tummy is fine, as long as you're +/-100 within your calorie limit. It means that your stomach has actually finished digesting for a change. I had that happen recently and it was kind of interesting as I hadn't had my stomach rumble for a long, long time.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think it will take some time for your body to adjust to consuming less calories. How long has it been? I'd give it a full two to three weeks... try to snack on filling, but low cal foods too. I always try to get more "bang for my calorie buck". It works!:wink:
  • think_thin
    Options
    How many calories are you eatting. It might help if you let members see you food diary so they can give you some advice. I am never hungry and I eat 1300 cal and exercise at least 5 times a week.
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    From what I am reading from other poster you need lots of food (stay under your calories) that will stick to your ribs. Plenty of fiber and protein they say will keep you from getting hungry. I notice that if I eat a good amount of breakfast and include a lot of protein and fiber, then I have a snack before and after lunch, I can go light on dinner and not feel hungry.
  • kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat 1300 cal and exercise at least 5 times a week.

That seems unhealthy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than before it's normal to be a little hungry. Your body should be able to adjust fairly quickly. But once you've been at this for a while you shouldn't be hungry all the time. I'm getting 1300 calories (plus exercise cals) a day. I'm not normally hungry. I can't see your food diary so I don't know what you're eating. But if you eat lots of fresh, healthy foods (fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy) you should be able to eat lots of food without going over your calorie goal.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

That seems unhealthy.

It's not unhealthy if you eat all your exercise calories and eat unprocessed foods.
  • gryfin
    gryfin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i'm at the end of week 2. The first week seemed too easy, and I wondered if the new hunger/rumble was my metabolism waking up. I think i'll try making it a point to split my calories out even more and just snack repeatedly for the next few weeks until my stomach realizes that large quantities of food at one time is now off the table.
    thank you for the responses. i'm new to the site, but so far everyone seems to be very supportive and i really appreciate that.

:edit:

unlocked the food diary, didn't realize i had the option to make it public. =)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking along the same lines as everyone else. Make sure you're eating enough, but also the right things! Oatmeal is great for breakfast, with some fruit if you can. Whole grains and protein for lunch, lots of veggies throughout the day... there are so many foods that are low cal but SO good for you! A great snack is also a handful of nuts, I like almonds, because they have good fats and protein and they fill you up and are digested slowly so you don't get a sugar rush and crash afterward. Make sure you have lots of veggies around, they are practically calorie free and will keep you fuller longer! Good luck!
  • jodie1306
    Options
    Hi :-)

I am definately absolutely no expert at calorie counting but I force myself to drink water to try to quell the hunger pains. It is most definately not as satisfying as actually having something to eat, but it does help me to get through the next hour or so.

I also find it helps to choose low GI foods cause I think the whole "hype" thing about them might actually be true LOL, I think they do help to keep you fuller for longer.

Keep strong & remind yourself why you started this journey & how amazing you are going to feel when you reach your goals.

Jodie
    :-)
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options

That seems unhealthy.

It's not unhealthy if you eat all your exercise calories and eat unprocessed foods.

I work out 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day if I go to yoga class and mfp suggests I eat 1210 a day. I'm with you noadditives, I think you're fine!