Working the Abs

Options
Hello everyone,

I have been working out at the gym with a personal trainer twice a week for a month now. I am struggling bad with the Ab workout. I have had 12 surgeries on my abs in the last 13 years. I have a vertical scar going from my pecks to just above the pubic area.

What exercises can I do that will focus on just the ab muscles without my back taking over and doing all the work. I do sit ups, and my back kicks in. I do normal crunches and my back kicks in. Planks seem to use the back as well.

Any help would be great taken.

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a large exercise ball? We use those in my Pilates/muscle challenge classes for ab work, and they seem to work really well for isolating abs without getting the back involved. I'm sure a trainer would know better, but it's an idea. Good luck!
  • paperboy
    paperboy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah man seriously. If you're working with a trainer twice a week, ask him. He should know exactly what to tell you to do and how to do it. It's easy for people on here to say, try this or do that, but in truth it will probably be much more effective get your trainer to show you.