Plantar Fascitis

Options
Does anyone have this? What do you do to exercise?
Its in my family, and I am starting to get signs of it.. My mum has it and she cant walk/run for long periods of time.. so finds it hard to exercise.

Replies

• gennybunny
    Options
    I suffer from it and all I can say is get good insoles and if you are getting sore after a work out, stretch our foot over a tennis ball and ice it. I ice for 15 mins, roll over tennis ball, repeat 3 or 4 times. Hopefully that helps
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    swimming :)
  • scraig77
    scraig77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have this also, after my work outs I put my foot on ice for about 15-20 minutes. Foot rubs help also
  • Dette1
    Dette1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have it, but there are different severities so what I do might not work for another. I have a rolling bar that I stretch my feet with and some other exercises. I do this in the morning and then again before I exercise. The pain does not go away, I push through it and the stretches help. I use DVD workouts with squats and lunges and then an elliptical trainer. It rains alot where I am so inside workouts are easiest to stick with for me. Hope you find a way to work out, that pain is terrible. Good luck to you~
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I had it for about 2 years and thought it would never go away. I didn't even know what it was for a long time. Needless to say I didn't want to exercise, figured walking would be bad for it, and no doubt it contributed to my weight gain, which just made the PF worse.

Fortunately for me, my son married a massage therapist who knew what it was as soon as I told her the symptoms. She worked on my legs and feet to loosen them up, got me in the habit of stretching frequently, taught me to roll a tennis ball or frozen bottle of water under my feet to stretch and soothe that area, and got me walking.

A couple of years later, I typically walk 6 - 12 miles per day and occasionally jog short distances with no signs of PF whatsoever. Losing all the weight surely helped, but I don't know how I would have lost the weight without getting a clue about the PF. It can get better. Good luck!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    stretch before you get out of bed stretch in the middle of the day stretch stretch stretch
  • amycrims
    Options
    Ugh, I feel for you. I had it bad for a couple years. I got a boot from my podiatrist that I was supposed to sleep with every night. It was really uncomfortable and annoying but it definitely helped. You have to work on stretching your calves. A couple other tricks to do: stand with your toes on a step and lift your heels up and down 20x a day and while laying down spell out the alphabet with your toes in the air (keep your leg still, just toes can move) and if its bad enough, you can get a cortisonne shot- had that too and it definitely helped a lot. Anyway its been over a year and no signs of it coming back. Every morning I wake up and flex my feet right away to stretch my calves- gosh I never want to have to go through that pain again. No fun :(
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You can find self-help videos as well as affordable orthotics at www.heel-that-pain.com
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Adding on to some of the other suggestions already mentioned. They also have socks with a little extra support for your arches. I got the brand "No-Nonsense" at Walmart that you can clearly see a tighter band where your arch would be located. These are quite comfortable along with a set of insole supports. They give you that extra support along your arch so that your PF doesn't flare up as quickly.