Working out after eating

Options
After you eat, do you wait to workout? If so, how long? Or is that really not an issue?

Replies

• newnicole
    Options
    30 minutes minimum!
    depends on the intensity of your workout but I wait at LEAST 30 minutes you don't want it to come back up : /
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would give your stomach 45 min to an hour to finish digesting. Otherwise all of your blood is being pumped to your stomach to process everything.

I would also recommend eating protein instead of carbs before working out so you don't feel nauseous or weighed down.
  • liyacooney
    Options
    My trainer told me that its better to do cardio on empty stomach. But weight training is better to eat and wait about an hour before working out... I do my cardio at night so I eat an hour before and feel great!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack about 10 mins prior, I find I run better. Something like a protein bar, trail mix, etc. When I used to workout before work I'd have oatmeal for breakfast since I couldn't run on an empty stomach and it didn't bother me at all. Prior to that I would have cereal in the morning, but that didn't go well!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says to wait 45 minutes :) it's the "hot zone"!
  • smoochy1978
    Options
    I've been told by my brother who is a trainer, that if you're working out in the morning soon after waking up, try not to eat, no matter what your workout is, cardio or strength -- that your body is in a fat-burning zone and you don't want to add calories just to burn them off immediately. If you need to eat, try a spoonful of almond butter until your workout. If you're working out later in the day or at night, you should wait 45 min after eating a meal for the workout. And along with what another said: protein, not carbs (egg whites and a half a grapefruit or skim milk and protein powder shake). Carbs feel good, but they'll bust you in the end.