How much do I actually weigh!!

Options
OK. So I know that you're not supposed to weigh yourself every five minutes but we all do things we're not supposed to do.

What confuses me is that I weighed myself before exercise (65kg) and then again directly afterwards (66.2kg) and then I weighed myself about half an hour later and I weighed 66.4kg. If I carry on like this I'll weigh a heap by bedtime!!

Is there a reason for this sudden weight gain? Does the body respond in a certain way to exercise?

Yes, I know that if I didn't weigh myself so often then I probably wouldn't notice this :-)

Replies

• cassidystreasures
    Options
    you should be weighing yourself first thing in the morning naked after using the bathroom is the best time. Your body weight goes up and down through out the day with retaining water ect.
  • safetypins
    Options
    Wednesday I weighed myself naked at work and I was 181, then I went back to swim and weighed myself at night and I was 184. This morning, 181.

Morning is the BEST time.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When I weigh myself pre- and post-workout, I always drop a pound after the exercise. I think it has to do with perspiration. If I drink a lot of water while working out, then I obviously gain a good amount! Are you taking in lots of liquids? Because you know, those weigh a lot. :):) Working out IS dehydrating, so you should be drinking lots after!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Your body weight fluctuates throughout the day due to what you put in it and the activity you are doing. Please avoid weighing yourself throughout the day. Only weigh once a week, in the morning, after using the bathroom (#1 and #2), and naked. And after you have a had a full night's rest--at least 7 to 8 hours. Same scale, same spot. According to the Dr. Oz show you can lose the equivalent of the weight of a bottle of wine every morning just from the sweat the night before, and using the restroom in the morning.

You will drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself throughout the day. Stick to once a week and you will be much happier. Trust me. :flowerforyou:
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday I weighed myself naked at work and I was 181, then I went back to swim and weighed myself at night and I was 184. This morning, 181.

You weighed yourself naked at work?? ;) Where do you work?
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Please put your scale away. :laugh:
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It is normal for your body to fluctuate threw out the day. Your body retains water. Take cassidystreasures adive or you are going to drive your self crazy.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options

Oh.. lol! :huh:
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes....your body is made up of 85% water and the "water" weight varies through out the day depending on your activity. Water is constantly shifting in and out of cells, esp. during and after exercise. How the actual physiology of water balance occurs is more complicated than I would like to explain. People will loss or gain depending on the type of workout, environment, and level of hydration....I have taken a yoga class and lost 5 pounds post workout. Hope this helps.
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's what I wanted to know! I had to re-read to make sure I read it correctly. :laugh:

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are hanging on to water & stuff. There's a big spike during exercise, which can often result in weight gain. I always know I'm going to weigh heavier if I wake up feeling sore or stiff (especially in my legs)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    OK. So I know that you're not supposed to weigh yourself every five minutes but we all do things we're not supposed to do.

What confuses me is that I weighed myself before exercise (65kg) and then again directly afterwards (66.2kg) and then I weighed myself about half an hour later and I weighed 66.4kg. If I carry on like this I'll weigh a heap by bedtime!!

Is there a reason for this sudden weight gain? Does the body respond in a certain way to exercise?

Yes, I know that if I didn't weigh myself so often then I probably wouldn't notice this :-)

You don't give much detail, but if you drink water during your workout, that will increase your weight measurement immediately after. Water is not without weight, it just doesn't add calories. Add to this whatever you might eat, and you probably have accounted for your weight changes.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates up to 4 pounds over a day! So only compare like with like - I weigh in first thing in the morning - after the bathroom :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The prevailing wisdom is to weigh once a week.
    I understand the sense in that, but I frequently weigh myself more often than that. But always at the same time of day under the same circumstances.

I think the main reason behind the whole in the morning, after the bathroom, naked is this is the time of day you will weight the least & most folks find that more encouraging.

I find that I'll put on as much as 3 lbs during the course of the day.

As long as you are consistent about the time & circumstance you weigh in at, you'll be comparing apples to apples..
    Rather than worry about whether today's skirt weighs less than the jeans you wore last time you weighted in it really is easier to get on the scale, naked. (okay for me I've got to wear my glasses or can't SEE how much I weigh)

If you weigh yourself say before you go to bed, only weigh yourself then, because really it's more about making consistent progress in the right direction than it is the actual number.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

hahahaha that's exactly what I was thinking and was going to ask!!!
  • Andromeda5000
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.
    Your comments make sense :-)
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    first thing in the morning naked after using the bathroom

SO glad to know that I'm not the only one who weighs ike this!
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    You should pick a time to weigh yourself and remain consistent. Someone else mentioned it above, but I also weigh myself naked first thing in the morning after using the toilet. I can vary as much as 3kg throughout the day... So I only step on the scales during that time.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well... when I first get up and weigh myself I weigh a half-pound more than half an hour later, having done nothing exciting in between. This is a pretty consistent thing and I certainly don't understand it. I'm leaning toward my scale having a multiple personality disorder, and the first one gets off on making me depressed.

Either that or I've been huffing helium in between.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Your body weight fluctuates throughout the day due to what you put in it and the activity you are doing. Please avoid weighing yourself throughout the day. Only weigh once a week, in the morning, after using the bathroom (#1 and #2), and naked. And after you have a had a full night's rest--at least 7 to 8 hours. Same scale, same spot. According to the Dr. Oz show you can lose the equivalent of the weight of a bottle of wine every morning just from the sweat the night before, and using the restroom in the morning.

You will drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself throughout the day. Stick to once a week and you will be much happier. Trust me. :flowerforyou:

I'm glad someone said this. I was wondering how often I should weigh myself. Once a week or once a month.