Best Gaming Console for Fitness

Options
What do you all feel is the best gaming console to use for fitness realted purposes? I am about to recieve my bonus and am considering investing. I have an old school original nintendo in the house still, so that will tell you how long its been since I bought a video game...lol

Replies

• Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I say the Wii. The Wii Fit & Fit Plus are GREAT & really make you sweat.
    I don't care for the BL games available on the Wii, but there are other people that do.
  • NZhogiebear
    Options
    Love the kinect, it is harder to cheat with it, (like with the wii, you can sit on the couch and just move your arm around for some of the games) and they are bringing out new games all the time, good luck with your decsion!!
  • jabneel
    Options
    I used the Wii fit for most of last year and it was good, but I got the Kinect for my XBox this past Christmas and I like it better. I think you get a much better workout with the kinect and you don't have to hold the remote and the nun chuck like you do with the Wii.

They both have games as well as workouts, the thing that the Wii Fit has is that it will measure your weight, the Kinect obviously can't take your weight.

I personally prefer the XBox w/ Kinect and Fitness evolved, but I find that I still go back to the Wii Fit every once in a while.
  • mrskern06
    mrskern06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband gave me the Wii and the Wii Fit plus for Christmas and I absolutely love it~ I haven't tried any other ones.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the Kinect - although the remoteless interaction is a tempting notion. One less thing to buy (controllers). I did a TON of research before I bought a gaming system and the one thing I heard/read over and over and over again is that the Xbox's are so prone to breakdowns and mechanical problems that it didn't seem worth the investment if I'd have to have it replaced every 6 months or so because it was shot. I do like the idea of the Kinect... ALOT... but my research just didn't bear out the xbox as being a better piece of machinery, overall. and I've NEVER liked the Wii. I don't know why...

We have a PS3 Move and I love it. My *only* complaint (see above) is that when I'm doing my Zumba workout, which comes with a belt specifically to hold the controller (which is *almost* as good as none at all), I sometimes bounce around so much taht the controller starts to slip out. This doesn't affect the camera's visibility as it's got a pretty broad range but it doesn't help if the controller hits the floor. :indifferent: It would have been nice if Sony had come up with the controller-less idea. :love: But they didn't. Even so, considering the thing is literally a computer, seems to me to be the best deal on the market.

Like I said, I did alot of research and didn't buy any system for one favorite aspect but which had the overally better ratings across the board and it turned out to be the PS3. It's a big investment for us so I couldn't really afford to make a bad judgement call. :happy:
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    I love my Kinect (recently purchased). I hate the idea of the wii just because of the remote.. I feel i am able to engage more of my body, even just doing the games. I haven't even purchased exercise games yet because the regular games are quite a workout haha. Love my xbox, and I've never had a problem with one... we have 2 :) good luck choosing :)
  • Nucleartiger
    Nucleartiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have both Wii fit and Xbox360 w/kinect and hands down the Kinect is better if you really want a work-out. The Wii is just way too easy to cheat with. Everything you do with the Wii can be faked. You don't have to do the actual movements just shake your hand the right way. The kinect makes you do it the right way or atleast as best you can.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I prefer the PS3 Move for playing games but I definitely worked up more of a sweat on the Xbox Kinect haha.

Get whichever one has the games that appeal to you most. There's no point buying an expensive console and all the bits and pieces to go with it, if the games don't really draw you in and make you want to play it.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have both the wii and the kinnect.

I prefer the wii, yes you have to hold the remote, but you can get weighed and yes it is easy to cheat, but it's not forced on you. You can actually do the work out without cheating. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have too!

I found the kinnect was frustrating, you get a good work out it's true but it's so hard to get in sync that the results on screen can be a bit disappointing as it hasn't recognised you doing anything half the time. Even my sister who is used to aerobics classes, gym etc was out of sync on some areas If you are lacking rthym then i'd really reccomend the wii.

Alot of the workouts you can get on both consoles so it's much of a muchness really.
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Surely if you're cheating on the wii then you're just cheating yourself?

I've got the Kinect and the Wii. The wii is a regular part of my workout, I'll do 30 minutes of yoga and muscle workouts then 30 minutes of free step/boxing/hula hooping etc. We've currently only got the Kinect Adventures for the xbox but I like to alternate between the two. I still want the your shape game for the kinect, but so long as I've got my wii fit I feel like I'm still doing more.
  • Tinman07
    Options
    I have both. Either way you go, I think you'll love it!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I have Wii and so far only have a handful of the sports games as well as Just Dance 2. I also just ordered Wii Fit Plus so I'm excited to get that. My friend has it and loves it, says it's a decent workout. Looking forward to getting some more of the dance and fitness games. As someone who struggles to get any type of exercise in, I like these games for the fact that at least I feel like I'm doing SOMETHING, lol! I think both systems have good and bad points. I've heard good things about the Kinnect too but I do love the Wii.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. With all the awesome technology out there its really hard to make a decision and as expensive as this stuff is I don't want to make an uneducated one.

SN: As far as cheating, thats not even an option. Theres no way im going to sit on my *kitten* and twirl the remote and pretend to work out.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the Wii Fit and really, who would want to cheat??? If there is a fun way to work out, why would you do the lazy man's version??! I like to go all out with it! The Wii Fit is great and I love it and use it often... it is especially great for tracking your progress and doing the yoga workouts. The aerobic workouts leave a bit to be desired if you are looking for maximum calorie burn.... the kinect or whatever might be better for that. But, since I have the Wii and can only speak to that, I can definitely recommend it!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We have all three consoles, but haven't upgraded to Kinect or Play yet. Our 360 is four years old and we haven't had any problems with the RROD yet, so they don't all just stop working after 6 months.

We're both doing Wii Active 2, and it's an amazing workout. I also do Zumba on there and while the Wiimote doesn't always pick up the moves, it's pretty fair. I'm trying to decide what else to buy, but at this point the system and those two games are more than enough of a workout for us!

(We also have Wii Fit with the balance board, but I didn't find that it was enough of a workout, although the yoga was very cool. It was just too much of a hassle to have to switch from lesson to lesson).
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I got the Kinect for Christmas and really does make you sweat! Plus it's a fun way to work out. I know it's a little more expensive than the Wii though so that has to be taken into considerations too....
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Plus and I love it! You can customize your workout with the various activities so you don't have to click through to get to each one. You can make it as long or as short as you want. My kids enjoy the free run and we do it everyday now that it's too cold to go outside. We don't have an XBox, or the Move for the PS3, but we love our Wii. Wii Fit Plus is better than the Wii Fit too. I'm also wanting to get Just Dance since we all enjoy dancing, but haven't gotten it yet. :)
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My mom got a Wii before we did and the kids enjoyed it so much she got us one a year ago Christmas. Then this Christmas when we were visiting her, they found the Just Dance game, and (before I was even remotely thinking about lifestyle changes, diets, and workouts) my mom and I said that game would make an awesome workout, and its so much fun for the kids, it would be a great one for them to have.
    Long story short, I picked up the Just Dance 2 game, a Wii Fit Plus AND Zumba for Wii all within the past week. The secondary two are mostly for me and not the kids, but that dancing game makes the entire thing seem much more like just hanging out with the kids and having a great time rather than working out. But yet I still get an awesome workout because I put a lot into it. My daughter "cheats" sometimes because they do 20 dances in a row, and she gets tired, but honestly I don't even worry about my score, just if I am up and moving and trying to get it close! I LOVE it!!!
    With that said, I have not tried the Kinect or the Move, but if I were going to it would be hands down the XBOX and not the PlayStation. Since I don't have it, I don't know what game options are out there for the Kinect (I heard at one time that there were very few except the workouts and ones for young kids), so if you want it for any games that are considered more "hard core", you may want to avoid that system.
    I guess it boils down to what else you might use your gaming system for. Look into other game types that you may be interested in (such as the band/karaoke, mario or spyro or other favorite characters, or "hard core" games) and you may have your answer handed to you on a platter! :drinker:
    Good luck and let us know what you choose!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    I have both the Wii fit plus and the XBOX Kinect. I prefer the Kinect. I feel like I get a better work out and there is no dealing with the remote or a balance board. Sometimes the Kinect doesn't pick up your motions, but I still think it is better about correcting your form and watching how you are doing the exercises. The Wii can't see everything you are doing to know if you are doing it correctly or not. The only games I have for the Kinect are The Biggest Loser and Kinect Adventures. The Biggest Loser is OK, I'm in pretty good shape already, so it's not that intense of a workout for me sometimes, even on the highest setting. But I think it would be a great workout for those who are just starting. Kinect Adventures is more of a fun game that you burn some calories doing. I plan on checking out Your Shape: Fitness Evolved soon too. One last note about XBOXes breaking down, I am currently using a hand-me-down XBOX that is one the first generation of XBOXes and has been around forever with no problems.