Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I want to get a good heart rate monitor. Maybe one that tells you how many calories you have burned. Any good recommendations??

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this also... it seems to be a very important tool...
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Love my Polar F11

It keeps a diary of previous workouts, which I find beneficial
  • hparke
    hparke Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just got one the other day called Mio Drive +. It has calories burned, timers, % of maximum heart rate. It also subtracts calories burned from 3500 to show when a pound is burned off. About $60 Canadian. The face is big though but they might have a female version...I didn't see one when I bought it.

I also hear that Polar is top of the line, but they're like 200$ or something...

Hope that helps :smile:
  • Jmbttnr2
    Options
    I have a timex! Not too user friendly! I get different results every time.
  • neenie1
    Options
    Polar is a very good HRM you can probably find one for a little over $100 if you don't want alot of bells and whistles. You need to read the discription for each one. There are a few under $100 but they may not give calories burned. I think polars web site is polarusa.com? Or check out Sports Authority on line. I'm getting my boyfriend one for his birthday that's $109 and it does give calories burned.
  • gponter79
    gponter79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just seen an iPhone app that is a heart rate monitor. Apparently it works too! Not sure quite how, but thought I would mention it anyway.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heart-monitor/id291845681?mt=8
  • bobblebee77
    bobblebee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just seen an iPhone app that is a heart rate monitor. Apparently it works too! Not sure quite how, but thought I would mention it anyway.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heart-monitor/id291845681?mt=8

Yes, I have just got this, seems ok - not personally checked it out for accuracy but its attracting rave reviews which hopefully is a good indicator - wasn't expensive either.

Only thing is it can be fiddly if you are on the move as you need to place your finger on the LED light for the reading. Also, if you use your iPhone for fitness apps (ie Nike+ GPS) that don't multitask, then you cant take a reading mid workout. (darn Nike App boooo!)

Depending on how you intend to use it, this HRM could be the cheapest option if you own iPhone/IPod touch
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i just bought the s7 from sportsline i bought it at walmart for 27 dollars i only got to use it for a lil workout because i just got it today but i have read on other sites that it is a good one so u could try it. it looks like a watch so it is not noticable so u can wear it anywhere anytime.
  • kymora
    Options
    I just got one at shoppers drug mart for 35 make sure you get one with a chest strap the ones with out you usually have to stop to take your heart rate, where as the others take it all the time and gives you your max, min and avg. and your calories and everything, my brand is bios the guy at the till was wearing the same one and has had it 4 years!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I got a polar F4 pre-loved on ebay... IT's awesome - does calories lost, how long you were in the zone etc... Wouldn't be without it now!
  • angelarose12
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I used to work at Big 5 Sporting Goods when I was a teen. I remember now that the Polar brand was pretty good. Man I used to know all about them not I can't even remember! That was only 6 years ago lol.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Sportline 1060 Duo for Women. It tells you calories burned, speed, and distance. You can use it with or without the chest strap. I really like it so far.
  • outersoul
    Options
    One more vote for the Polar FT7. I just got mine and I love it. I would read about the Polars first. Some have batteries that have to be replaced by the factory or an authorized dealer. I can replace mine myself.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I second reading reviews -on any HRM before you buy. I was going to go with a few different models that were more "cost effective" then I started reading reviews on amazon.com about HRMS and finally went with a Polar F6. I want one that will last and that I don't have to worry about.