So totally off topic but I need a ball gown

Options
Ok so as you all know My Husband is a Marine. We knew there was a deployment coming and that he would be detatching from his unit so we did not think there would be a ball for us this year. However He comes home on Thursday and announces that the ball is Nov 21. This means I have about 10 weeks to find a dress that fits me. I have been to the dress shops here and none were very helpful. One can't order me a dress because it is "too late" and one refuses to take my measurements because she "knows what size you are", however she keeps trying to put my size 34/36 body into a size 20 dress. I have scowered the sites I could find online and come up with very matronly (I know that is spelled wrong) type dresses. So here are my measurments in hopes that one of you know of some place I could order a dress that is going to fit my body as well as my age. Bust 67 in Waist 66 in Hips 68 in Hollow to hem 61 inches. If any one knows of somewhere I can order a dress from please please let me know.

Thanks in advance ,

Raynel:flowerforyou:

Replies

• rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ok so as you all know My Husband is a Marine. We knew there was a deployment coming and that he would be detatching from his unit so we did not think there would be a ball for us this year. However He comes home on Thursday and announces that the ball is Nov 21. This means I have about 10 weeks to find a dress that fits me. I have been to the dress shops here and none were very helpful. One can't order me a dress because it is "too late" and one refuses to take my measurements because she "knows what size you are", however she keeps trying to put my size 34/36 body into a size 20 dress. I have scowered the sites I could find online and come up with very matronly (I know that is spelled wrong) type dresses. So here are my measurments in hopes that one of you know of some place I could order a dress that is going to fit my body as well as my age. Bust 67 in Waist 66 in Hips 68 in Hollow to hem 61 inches. If any one knows of somewhere I can order a dress from please please let me know.

Thanks in advance ,

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a seamstress in your town.

Some of them are quite reasonable, and can make you a gown to your exact specifications that fits you perfectly for about the same cost as buying a dress off the rack

I would look in the phone book (or online) call several, and ask their rates.

Almost any dresses you would order would require tailoring to fit well anyway. . .

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a message...check your inbox! :smile:
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Hi again, the website that I ordered the gown that I mentioned in my message to you is therosedress.com...I just found it...they have a lot of nice gowns that go plus sized and beyond. They list measurements for most of them, but I found that the dress I ordered was stretchy and fit me very well without any tailoring necesary...it didn't have sleeves, but I had a beautiful black shawl that one of the female soldiers that I corresponded with while she was deployed sent me from Afghanistan...so I wore that...it was beautiful and fairly low priced. I will get you the measurements and a picture of my prom dress though...
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    This gown is really pretty too...http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/JL-Studio-Slip-Gown-And-Shawl.aspx?PfId=103318&DeptId=11606&ProductTypeId=1&from=L

It's fairly simple, but add some nice jewelry and shoes and do your hair up pretty and you'll look awesome!
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This gown is really pretty too...http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/JL-Studio-Slip-Gown-And-Shawl.aspx?PfId=103318&DeptId=11606&ProductTypeId=1&from=L

It's fairly simple, but add some nice jewelry and shoes and do your hair up pretty and you'll look awesome!

That dress is gorgeous!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Very pretty dress.

Have a wonderful time at the ball with your dh.
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    Beautiful dress...good luck in your search and have a great time at the ball!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Wow what beautiful gowns....please do keep in touch, would :heart: to see what you choose...esp with you in it!
    Ezzie
  • rayneenie
    Options
    I do really like the black dress but I am looking forit to be floor length. I have tattoos on my ankles and though I love them I do not find them to be elegant and have always leaned toward longer dresses any way. When I get a gown and we get our pics back I will be sure to post them on here.

Thanks again for all you help

• rayneenie
    Options
    oops I posted twice some how
  • rayneenie
    Options
    Thanks for all tgreat suggestions every one! I found the perfect dress and was getting ready to order it when the dryer broke. My dress money went to pay for the dryer and I don't get to go to the ball after all. :brokenheart: :cry: Hubby has not been very understanding that I am a bit heart broken over getting to go. It does not hurt his feelings one Iota that he does not have to take me.

Thanks again.

Raynel
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry. That is the worst. How disappointing.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: