Somebody help me!

Options
So, I have been doing just awful. I do fine at work but by the time I get off and get home and I am STARVING!! Then I go over eat and blow my day. I need suggestions. I know that in time it gets easier but this is something that I have struggled with for well over a year now. What do I do?

Replies

• marysimmons
    marysimmons Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    WHAT ARE YOU EATING BEFORE YOU WORKOUT?? LIKE FOR ME I GO TO GYM AFTER BREAKFAST SO I MAKE SURE I GET IN A GOOD BREAKFAST WITH LOTS OF PROTEIN. I CAN EAT 4 EGG WHITES AND TWO TURKEY SAUSAGE AND A BOTTLE WATER AND FEEL SO FULL. THAN I GO WORKOUT FOR TWO HOURS AND STOMACH NEVER GROWLS. BUT AFTER I GET DONE WORKING OUT I ALWAYS DRINK A RECOVERY DRINK LIKE MUSCLE MILK LIGHT ONLY 100 CALORIES WHICH HELPS ME FROM GOING HOME AND PIGGING OUT. ALWAYS DRINK A PROTEIN DRINK AFTER WORKIN OUT OR EAT A PROTEIN BAR. HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK!!
  • bhonniered
    Options
    One of the things that has helped is 30 minutes before I leave work I have a heavy snack. Last time it was hummus, crackers, & some veggies. In addition I have 1 or 2 cups of water. By the time I get home I am not starving! You can do this - don't give up!!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have a snack as I'm leaving for the day. Gets me home ok to either do a bit of a workout or start dinner (I'll often walk home, which is 2.2 miles, so quite a workout anyways!) Have your dinner planned before you even leave for the day. I've got chicken cooking in the slowcooker, so that'll stop me from texting hubby to pick up some junk. And finally, get the junk out of the house. If it's not there, you can't eat it. Figure out what your triggers are. When I first started this, I would be watching tv and get so hungry and couldn't figure out why and finally it hit me -- because that's what my body was used to. Watching hockey and eating chips/chocolate. So I've learned to figure out true hunger feelings and if I just need to mindlessly snack, I put in some gum.

When I first started, I tried for 2lbs a week (which was not possible for the weight I have to lose) and my calories were so low it was impossible for me to live on it. Make sure that your calories aren't too low and make the best use out of every single one by eating lean proteins, whole grains, lots of veggies and save the odd calorie for a treat ONCE IN A WHILE for something to look forward to!

Good luck -- I'm sure you can do it!
  • marysimmons
    marysimmons Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    SORRY I THOUGHT YOU SAID AFTER YOU WORKOUT!! HAHA I AM SO NOT AWAKE THIS MORNING!! OKAY SO ARE YOU EATING ENOUGH THROUGH OUT THE DAY SO THAT YOU DONT PIG OUT AT NIGHT??? WHAT TIME ARE YOU EATING DINNER? I ALWAYS TRY AND EAT AS EARLY AS I CAN AND DRINK WATER BEFORE AND AFTER YOU EAT TO MAKE YOU FEEL FULLER. AND IF YOU ARE LIKE ME AND HAVE A SWEET TOOTH AT NIGHT ADD LEMON TO YOUR WATER AND IT WILL TAKE YOUR SWEET CRAVINGS AWAY. ALWAYS LEAVE ABOUT 100 CAL FOR A SNACK AT NIGHT TOO. HOPE THIS HELP!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You want to be sure you are eating something (preferrably a nice lean protein and some nonprocessed carbs) every 2-3 hours. You don't want to bring yourself to the point of starving, because we are all guilty of overeating at that point.

Also, if its a matter of not really starving, just eating as a form of relaxation or something like that, you need to work within yourself and commit to your goals in order to overcome that. Dig deep, find other things to keep you occupied. Keep focusing on the goal.
  • ang_lovinlife
    ang_lovinlife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lizzie Bee ... In the beginning of my diet and to avoid starving, I took metabolife. It really curbs your appetite! I only took it for a few weeks, though, to get into the groove.. I still have days where I feel like im starving, especially when it's near that time of the month. In addition to this... DRINK A LOT of water!!! Water is key to not over eating, most of the time your body is sending you hunger pains, it usually is thirsty, not hungry!! :)
  • cheangela
    Options
    I make a point to munch on a metric crap-ton (fancy measurements make it all the better) of carrots, green beans, snap peas, tomatoes... you get the point... whilst commuting home from work. Anything that is a snacky veggie that happens to be on sale at the super market. Seriously, if you load up on fresh veg you're less likely to overconsume at dinner. Plus, if you have snacky veg on hand all the time, it's easier to grab and mindlessly munch on instead of pretzels or other fun stuffs.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    here are just a few little things that have helped me I changed my food diary to 3 meals and 3 snacks I put in all my main meals in the morning so I plan ahead and then I look at what I have left over in terms of cals I then use these to choose my snacks I have one treat a day at one of my snack times that keeps the cravings for junk food at bay and I keep myself active in the evenings which was my downfall also cos I would eat out of boredom. I go for a walk every morning which I use as bonus cals and do cardio for an hour 5 times a week I tend not to eat these cals because I'm simply not hungry eating every couple of hours has really helped from getting so hungry I just eat the fridge I hope these tips will help you x
  • nightbird1103
    nightbird1103 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My first thought is to eat a bit later in the day before leaving work so you're not ravenous when you get home. Have lunch later at your desk, or take some protein powder or other snack (hard boiled egg, protein bar- I like the marathon bar 150 cals and 11g protein and like a candy bar:) an hour or so before your day ends- the protein should help you feel fuller longer. You might also consider cooking meals ahead or use a crock pot so you can have something ready that you can have as soon as you get home.
    I'm not sure from your post when in your day you're doing your work outs, but I find it helpful to eat a little something before and then something after as well. I'm a carb fanatic and eat the Thomas' everything bagel thins with 1/2 of a single serve cream cheese before my run (not exactly muscle milk, but it satisfies me) and after I have the same with an egg. I also use marathon bars and protein drinks. I typically like to eat my calories rather than drink them although I must admit that the chocolate whey protein powder with water from gnc is like a treat. I also love coffee with sugar free creamer and some truvia (sweetener)- like dessert!

Hang in there. This journey will definitely take some trial and error for all of us. Change things up and I'm sure you'll see results!
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody!! :flowerforyou: This is some really great advice. I have some planning to do. You guys are the best as always. :love: