Diet Bread

Options
I'd like to hear someone else's opinion of "diet bread". I've had a loaf of Sara Lee's whole wheat reduced calorie bread on the counter for several weeks. We are not crazy about the flavor and so it's taken a while for us to get through it. But what bothers me about it is it's taken several weeks for it to mold!! I'm really concerned about all the preservatives in it that would make it last this long. What does this do to our insides?!! What are my alternatives? I love bread and would like a good substitute. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    my entire family has been pretty impressed with the 100 calorie bagel slices... for their chicken or black bean burgers, lunch meat sandwiches, etc. wheat bread is over rated anyway.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to cut out bread. It's a good source of carbs. Your brain runs exclusively on carbs, so they're very important! Opt for a natural or organic whole grain variety and you won't get all the unnecessary preservatives and stuff.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I love the Nature's Pride whole wheat bread. 70 calories a slice and 1.97 a loaf at Wal-Mart. No high fructose corn syrup. :smile:
  • MandeeSue
    Options
    I love Heiner's 35 bread in white or honey wheat...One slice is 35 cals. where most bread is 70 per slice. So you have have 2 pieces for the amount of calories for 1 slice :) And the more bread I get the happier it makes me...lol Oh and did I mention that it taste AWESOME !!
  • nightbringar
    Options
    Wonder Bread has a Smart White bread that is 50 calories a slice, there is the 45 calorie sarah lee bread i think you were referring to, the Thomas Bagel slices are great 110 calories per bagel. I use those for making my club omelette breakfast sandwich.

On a side note Wonder bread freezes really well. So if its on sale you can grab a bunch and freeze the ones you arent using and pull them out as needed.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I really like Orowheat's Sandwich thins. 100 calories for the whole 'roll.'
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Sandwich thins are awesome! There a couple of different brands and only 100 calories per bun. I use these for sandwiches or for regular buns when we have turkey burgers or something similar. They also make bagel thins that are awesome!!
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    OP, are you talking about Sara Lee's 45 cal and delightful? Because personally I love that stuff, I don't even notice a change in flavor from "regular" bread!

And I think someone already mentioned the Thomas bagel thins. Those are awesome too.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I find that rye breads have less calories than other breads. They are healthy & filling. I also use Dempster's whole wheat pita's as well. They are a fair size & I use half of one & fill it full of salad with chicken or tuna or boiled egg or light cheese. Fills me up.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Find a 100% whole wheat bread with no enriched flour, no HFCS, and no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, and you'll be good to go. Bonus points for organic. :)
  • jahncrish
    Options
    I have recently had a heart attack . My Cardiologist, told me I needed a diet considerably lower in Carbohydraes than what I was typically eating.He suggested me to have diet bread.

http://www.besteasydietplans.com/
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have replaced my bread with rice cakes (27cal each), Rivita crackerbread (20cal each) and crispbakes (30cal each).
    The rice cakes are especially filling :o)
    Other Rivita products are between 30 and about 45 calories per slice.

There aren't many low calorie breads available in the UK, so these are good options for us Brits.
  • rlampton
    Options
    I love Ezekiel bread, made with spouts, no flour and all natural. It's chewy, and there are a few flavors, like sesame, cinnamon, etc.
    It's expensive...$4.99 loaf and you need to keep it in the fridge since it spoils quicker than others. I pop it in the toaster to warm it up, not toast it (too if toasted to long). I use it for sandwiches, and peanut butter toast. It really is wonderful if you are looking for all natural and no flour. You can find it in the frozen organic section usually.