Question about strength training

Options
I've heard that your not suppose to do strength training 2 days in a row. That the muscles need a day to heal in between each work out. Does that pertain to lifting weights only? What about workouts like Jillians 30 day shred, that uses weights. Can you do that every day or should it be every other day? What about things like push ups, pull up, squats & lunges where your using your body as the weight? Confusing!

Replies

• mwpagano
    Options
    You can strength train 6 days in a row if you want. The problem is is that you don't want to work the same muscle groups more than one day in a row. So if you do legs on monday, dont work them again on tuesday. Do arms or back.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I usually do weights one day and aerobics the next.
  • cheangela
    Options
    The whole "not lifting 2 days in a row" rule is a good one to follow if you're doing intense muscle-specific training. Every body is different. The cool thing about JM's Shred is that she has you using really really light dumbbells and it's kind of a hybrid strength/cardio routine and mixes it up all over your body so you're exhausting everything equally rather than just having buns of steel :-). Just take it easy and listen to your muscles.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think that you are fine if you do Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred every day because you don't use a lot of heavy weights. You are not really focusing on one muscle group.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The two day break thing is more for heavy lifting.. you should be fine doing JM's Shred. Just listen to your body though, if your legs are sore work on you upper body
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Tradiotionally people do weights then some form of cardio in between days
    Mon weights, Tuesday Cardio, Wed Weights, Thurs Cardio, Friday Weights

Really every person is different. I do back to back weight training days only when I need to make up a day.
    However I will do weights and then for cardio do jump ropes, heavy bag work, hit mits medicine ball abs. So I guess that is almost like equivelent to weights.

Like somneone else said if you do weights in consecutive days don't do the same body part. Do pulls one day, back biceps and things of that nature. Thenpushes hte next day, chest, triceps, shoulders. So in other words don't do chest and then the next day shoulders, they are both pushes.
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you want your muscles to grow then no, do not train the same muscles two days in a row. If you're trying to lose weight and not grow muscle then by all means go ahead and do jillian everyday making sure to take a day off. The body itself needs a rest day otherwise you just burn out. I did her everyday and still grew some muscle but not as much as I did when I was proper weight training three times a week with cardio the other three times a week.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your input! Feeling alot less confused now. :happy: