My kidney doctor decided all thats wrong with me is that I'm

Options
I'm a cow.

I saw a nephologist back in June for proteinuria...and he did some tests...and has now decided that I'm just fat and that I should have gastric bypass. (He knows I'm bulimic and in OP treatment right now...theres no way I'd get approved for that.) It's so triggering for stupid doctors to say stuff like this...like I don't know that I'm fat and need to lose weight...I've been trying to lose weight all my damn life! He wants me to follow up next year b/c I guess the Creatinine levels are a bit high or something...I don't know...it's 4 pages of doctor speak and I don't understand half of it.:embarassed:

He also thinks I need to go on high blood pressure medication...what doctor suggests taking blood pressure medication after just one reading of high blood pressure? I was anxious! I had to travel over an hours drive to a hospital I've never been to...thinking something serious was wrong and I was dying...etc...of course it's going to be high! I was shaking and everything! Pulse was 120 and bp was 140/100. BP has been normal at every of my other doctors appointments...usually around 90/60, which is kinda low.

I just want to never eat again at this point. Everyone one of my stupid doctors (except my eating disorders team.) keeps telling me to lose weight like it will cure all my problems. I eat healthy...between 1000-1500 calories a day...and yet the scale keeps going up. I measure/weigh all my damn food so I know it's right. My nutritionist says I'm losing body fat but my scale at home continues to go up. I'm tempted to try fasting again...or severely restrict my calories (say under 300 a day.) it's the only thing that kept my weight down in the past. :frown:

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    I'm a cow.

I saw a nephologist back in June for proteinuria...and he did some tests...and has now decided that I'm just fat and that I should have gastric bypass. (He knows I'm bulimic and in OP treatment right now...theres no way I'd get approved for that.) It's so triggering for stupid doctors to say stuff like this...like I don't know that I'm fat and need to lose weight...I've been trying to lose weight all my damn life! He wants me to follow up next year b/c I guess the Creatinine levels are a bit high or something...I don't know...it's 4 pages of doctor speak and I don't understand half of it.:embarassed:

He also thinks I need to go on high blood pressure medication...what doctor suggests taking blood pressure medication after just one reading of high blood pressure? I was anxious! I had to travel over an hours drive to a hospital I've never been to...thinking something serious was wrong and I was dying...etc...of course it's going to be high! I was shaking and everything! Pulse was 120 and bp was 140/100. BP has been normal at every of my other doctors appointments...usually around 90/60, which is kinda low.

I just want to never eat again at this point. Everyone one of my stupid doctors (except my eating disorders team.) keeps telling me to lose weight like it will cure all my problems. I eat healthy...between 1000-1500 calories a day...and yet the scale keeps going up. I measure/weigh all my damn food so I know it's right. My nutritionist says I'm losing body fat but my scale at home continues to go up. I'm tempted to try fasting again...or severely restrict my calories (say under 300 a day.) it's the only thing that kept my weight down in the past. :frown:
  • icanea
    Options
    Hang in there! The goal is for you to be healthy. If you fast, you will be hurting yourself, not helping. Don't give up!! Stick with your calorie range and exercise. Perhaps you should seek another doctor's opinion. I'll be praying for you.
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    Take a look at your quote again in your signature and tell yourself you will try and try and try doing this the right way. Restricting your cals is only going to slow down your metabolism and 300/day is really unhealthy. You should also get a second opinion on the blood pressure medication because one high reading does not justify medication. There is what we call "white coat syndrome" which is when a person goes into the doctor's office for some reason, the blood pressure shoots up. Take control of your health and your medical problems. You always have the right to a second third or fourth opinion
  • byn101
    Options
    wow. What a **** of a doctor. I have very much respect for docs. for i used to work for them but that was inconsiderate. Ovbiously you are trying everything possible to get everything under control and i appluad you for that! it takes strong people (like all of us mfpers) to get control. I wouldnt listen to the bp thing, although i would watch it yourself, or next time you go in on a more relaxed visit discuss the issue. I don't think you should deprive your body of cals. But Im no doc/nutrinst either. Id continue with ur daily amount and cont, to eat healthy and excersize & Im sure you will see results!:drinker: I hope you have a better day.:flowerforyou:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Take a look at your quote again in your signature and tell yourself you will try and try and try doing this the right way. Restricting your cals is only going to slow down your metabolism and 300/day is really unhealthy. You should also get a second opinion on the blood pressure medication because one high reading does not justify medication. There is what we call "white coat syndrome" which is when a person goes into the doctor's office for some reason, the blood pressure shoots up. Take control of your health and your medical problems. You always have the right to a second third or fourth opinion
    Thanks.

I'm not worried about my blood pressure b/c I have it taken a lot (I see a lot of doctors...) and it's usually normal...unless for some reason, I'm anxious.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Don't worry girl. I know doctors can be harsh sometimes. I feel like sometimes they just have no filter.
    Anyway, considering what you have to lose, you actually MAY be a candidate for a short (I mean 2 weeks or less) VLC (very low calorie) program. BUT, and I can't stress this enough, this is ONLY to be done under the direct supervision of a doctor or dietician, and while on it, you need to make sure you take sufficient suppliments so you don't lose your vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. I would speak to a gastrointestinologist about it, they can give you a better idea of how this works, and how it effects your food metabolism. I'm no doctor, so this is just an educated opinion, and I'm not saying you HAVE to do this in order to see results (you don't), but in your case, it might actually be OK to think about doing if done correctly.

Best luck to you lady, we're all here if you need us.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Don't worry girl. I know doctors can be harsh sometimes. I feel like sometimes they just have no filter.
    Anyway, considering what you have to lose, you actually MAY be a candidate for a short (I mean 2 weeks or less) VLC (very low calorie) program. BUT, and I can't stress this enough, this is ONLY to be done under the direct supervision of a doctor or dietician, and while on it, you need to make sure you take sufficient suppliments so you don't lose your vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. I would speak to a gastrointestinologist about it, they can give you a better idea of how this works, and how it effects your food metabolism. I'm no doctor, so this is just an educated opinion, and I'm not saying you HAVE to do this in order to see results (you don't), but in your case, it might actually be OK to think about doing if done correctly.

Best luck to you lady, we're all here if you need us.
    my nutritionist would never approve of that...she won't even let me do low carb...she says that it increases obsessive thoughts and stuff...
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

my nutritionist would never approve of that...she won't even let me do low carb...she says that it increases obsessive thoughts and stuff...

And she may be right, that's the thing, it's a personal choice. But with a lot of extra weight to lose, it's not usually any where near as dangerous as it would be for someone with say 20 lbs to lose. I'll see if I can dig up the New England Journal of Medicine article I found on it (Yes I read NEJOM, and no, I'm not a doctor). For now, here is one from WebMD that talks about VLC programs.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/low-calorie-diets
  • pinkpixies
    Options

And she may be right, that's the thing, it's a personal choice. But with a lot of extra weight to lose, it's not usually any where near as dangerous as it would be for someone with say 20 lbs to lose. I'll see if I can dig up the New England Journal of Medicine article I found on it (Yes I read NEJOM, and no, I'm not a doctor). For now, here is one from WebMD that talks about VLC programs.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/low-calorie-diets

Would it make my thyroid slow even more? B/c when I first started to get OP treatment at my eating disorders clinic...they did a metabolic testing thing where I breathed into a mask for 20 minutes...and I was only burning 500 calories a day...instead of the 2100 I should have been burning...so I had to have my thyroid pill increased.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok--I had more to lose than you when I started--140 pounds or exactly half my weight at that time.

Now, one thing I don't see in your post (did I overlook it?) was any mention of exercise.

Are you exercising as well as watching your calories?

Also, don't worry about BP meds if it's recommended. Go on for now if needed. It might help--it usually contains a duretic that can help with water retention.

I didn't go on an extreme low cal--diet when I started in April. I started at 1000-1200 calories a day, with my doc's ok. Since then, I've upped it to 1300-1400 a day as I keep plateauing and need the extra calories to support my exercise.

If you don't understand the doctor's report, then ASK! Demand answers--it's your right!

Don't give up--you can lose the weight. I've been heavy all my life but am determined now to finally get and stay healthy. You can do it, too!
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Ok--I had more to lose than you when I started--140 pounds or exactly half my weight at that time.

Now, one thing I don't see in your post (did I overlook it?) was any mention of exercise.

Also, don't worry about BP meds if it's recommended. Go on for now if needed. It might help--it usually contains a duretic that can help with water retention.

I didn't go on an extreme low cal--diet when I started in April. I started at 1000-1200 calories a day, with my doc's ok. Since then, I've upped it to 1300-1400 a day as I keep plateauing and need the extra calories to support my exercise.

If you don't understand the doctor's report, then ASK! Demand answers--it's your right!

Don't give up--you can lose the weight. I've been heavy all my life but am determined now to finally get and stay healthy. You can do it, too!

I can't really exercise much...I have severe chronic pain...and asthma...so it's very difficult...just like keeping my apartment clean...is a lot of exercise for me and very painful. I clean for about 20-30 minutes a day...and then short walks to like check the mail or take the garbage out...which take 5-7 minutes or so to do...and includes going up and down lots of stairs...

I was put on BP medication once like 3 years ago and I passed out twice in a week...and the nurse at the day treatment program I was attending took my BP and it was dangerously low...and they called my doctor and she took me off it. I still pass out sometimes..once or twice a month on average...and I get dizzy when I stand up too fast.

Wouldn't taking a diuretic make me get more UTIs?
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OK, here's something about me when I was pushing 300....

I was a caw, in my mind
    I was a hypocondriac, in my mind
    I hated myself and I was nasty to everyone around me.....

Don't beat your self up
    Get up every day nad say hey, I'm fine nad I can do this.

Right now, I feel like a failure, but I am breaking bad on Atkins......
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I can't really exercise much...I have severe chronic pain...and asthma...so it's very difficult...just like keeping my apartment clean...is a lot of exercise for me and very painful. I clean for about 20-30 minutes a day...and then short walks to like check the mail or take the garbage out...which take 5-7 minutes or so to do...and includes going up and down lots of stairs...

I was put on BP medication once like 3 years ago and I passed out twice in a week...and the nurse at the day treatment program I was attending took my BP and it was dangerously low...and they called my doctor and she took me off it. I still pass out sometimes..once or twice a month on average...and I get dizzy when I stand up too fast.

I have asthma (bronchial), too, and joint problems. But have found that cycling is wonderful exercise--easy on the joints, I can go as fast or slow as I like and still get in get exercise. Exercise really needs to be part of this to help with the weight loss.

The options are to lose the weight yourself through diet control and exercise or look into surgery. Otherwise, you will have health problems, as you already know.

My nephew's wife had surgery a couple years ago and it went fine for her. She's kept the weight off so far. I chose to do it myself though, as I hate surgeries. But it might be the option for you if it's possible.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

I have asthma (bronchial), too, and joint problems. But have found that cycling is wonderful exercise--easy on the joints, I can go as fast or slow as I like and still get in get exercise. Exercise really needs to be part of this to help with the weight loss.

The options are to lose the weight yourself through diet control and exercise or look into surgery. Otherwise, you will have health problems, as you already know.

My nephew's wife had surgery a couple years ago and it went fine for her. She's kept the weight off so far. I chose to do it myself though, as I hate surgeries. But it might be the option for you if it's possible.
    Cycling hurts my ankles bad...I've tried. :frown: I can't swim either. (I know someone will mention that) b/c I'm scared to death of water. (part of my PTSD...)

I wouldn't be approved for the surgery b/c of my history...I've been bulimic for over 12 years now...hospitalized...and everything...I asked my ED nutritionist about it and she said no way...that I wouldn't even be considered. I know it would make me worse anyways b/c of the dumping syndrome...wouldn't even have to gag myself to purge...just eat something bad and it will get rid of itself...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry to hear about your trip to the doctor. It is silly for him to try to put you on BP meds after just one high reading, and I know it's upsetting to hear that your weight is causing health problems, but it's important not to take that stuff personally. Unless he actually said 'You're a cow,' he didn't want to hurt your feelings, he is just sharing with you his medical opinion. Doctor's can't tell little white lies or try to sugar coat things, and many of them do use doctor speak, because (in my experience) it seems easier to explain some bodily functions in medical terms rather than layman's terms; I'm *not* saying it's fair, just that the doctor probably doesn't have to people skills to TRY to explain things in a way he knows everyone can understand.

Can you afford a physical therapist/personal trainer (one who specializes in special populations)? That would help you get some exercise in, which would increase your metabolism and probably reduce your pain as well. Those with chronic pain or similar conditions can only do a few minutes of exercise at a time, so don't think that you're doing anything wrong. It just might help to have someone there to give you a structured plan and give you support.

Do you take any cranberry juice/extract? That has been linked to a reduction in UTI/bladder infections because it may reduce the chance of bacteria clinging to the walls of the bladder. I had a kidney infection once and it was awwwfulllll:sick: ...I had no symptoms of anything until it hit my kidney, so after that I took a lot of cranberry extract and still take it regularly.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Not everything has to do with your weight. I spent 8 days in the hospital because I couldnt keep anything down. They did a test on my gallbladder and the first time it was working at 40% and the doctor didnt want to take it out so a couple of days later they did the test again because I still couldnt keep anything down and it was working at 0% and the doctor still didnt think it was my gallbladder that was wrong with me. He just thought I was overweight. Anyhoo on the 7th day he finally decided to take it out and right after that I could eat again. So not everything has to do with weight.

You want to be healthy and cutting your calories that strict will not do it. If you have done that in the past you body will probably take some time to get used to eating again. Please dont do that. I wouldnt want anything to happen to you. Read alot of the threads that Banks has posted. He has some great information and another person who has lost weight and is doing it healty is Tamtastic. I know looking at me you may not want to listen to me but please stay healthy.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

I'm really sorry to hear about your trip to the doctor. It is silly for him to try to put you on BP meds after just one high reading, and I know it's upsetting to hear that your weight is causing health problems, but it's important not to take that stuff personally. Unless he actually said 'You're a cow,' he didn't want to hurt your feelings, he is just sharing with you his medical opinion. Doctor's can't tell little white lies or try to sugar coat things, and many of them do use doctor speak, because (in my experience) it seems easier to explain some bodily functions in medical terms rather than layman's terms; I'm *not* saying it's fair, just that the doctor probably doesn't have to people skills to TRY to explain things in a way he knows everyone can understand.

Can you afford a physical therapist/personal trainer (one who specializes in special populations)? That would help you get some exercise in, which would increase your metabolism and probably reduce your pain as well. Those with chronic pain or similar conditions can only do a few minutes of exercise at a time, so don't think that you're doing anything wrong. It just might help to have someone there to give you a structured plan and give you support.

Do you take any cranberry juice/extract? That has been linked to a reduction in UTI/bladder infections because it may reduce the chance of bacteria clinging to the walls of the bladder. I had a kidney infection once and it was awwwfulllll:sick: ...I had no symptoms of anything until it hit my kidney, so after that I took a lot of cranberry extract and still take it regularly.

I have no way to get to physical therapy...my dad takes me to doctors appointments and I already have too many appointments and he yells and complains at me a lot. :( I have to pay him $40 a month to take me to appointments...and I only get $660 a month in SSI to pay my bills and for food and all. I was in physical therapy like 4-5 years ago though for my knee after I first dislocated it.

I take cranberry pills but they don't really help much. I won't drink the juice though...too many calories. :embarassed:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I have no way to get to physical therapy...my dad takes me to doctors appointments and I already have too many appointments and he yells and complains at me a lot. :( I have to pay him $40 a month to take me to appointments...and I only get $660 a month in SSI to pay my bills and for food and all. I was in physical therapy like 4-5 years ago though for my knee after I first dislocated it.

I take cranberry pills but they don't really help much. I won't drink the juice though...too many calories. :embarassed:

Oh ya, the juice is rubbish, mostly sugar which can actually cause more problems. Well, just make sure you're drinking a lot of water. I'd wait on the diuretic until you can ask a doctor. :flowerforyou:

There are personal trainers who make visits to peoples' homes; my previous MMA teacher actually did that because she worked with special populations, mostly the elderly (special pop. just means people who aren't the average 18-40 year old, basically...so elderly, kids, and those with any medical condition). It's somewhat expensive, but you may be able to save up for one monthly visit where they can work with you and give you recommendations on what to do for the rest of the month. They'd probably give you something like 5 minutes of speedwalking (based on the activities you can currently do) 3 times a week, and adding a minute every week. Then if you can handle any resistance at all, they may have you use something like 1/2 lb weight for a few exercises once a week. It's a very gradual incline, but it prevents extra pain and often will decrease your pain. I am just making educated guesses here based on what's used for fibromyalgia, but I think it would be worth looking into. :smile:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Oh ya, the juice is rubbish, mostly sugar which can actually cause more problems. Well, just make sure you're drinking a lot of water. I'd wait on the diuretic until you can ask a doctor. :flowerforyou:

There are personal trainers who make visits to peoples' homes; my previous MMA teacher actually did that because she worked with special populations, mostly the elderly (special pop. just means people who aren't the average 18-40 year old, basically...so elderly, kids, and those with any medical condition). It's somewhat expensive, but you may be able to save up for one monthly visit where they can work with you and give you recommendations on what to do for the rest of the month. They'd probably give you something like 5 minutes of speedwalking (based on the activities you can currently do) 3 times a week, and adding a minute every week. Then if you can handle any resistance at all, they may have you use something like 1/2 lb weight for a few exercises once a week. It's a very gradual incline, but it prevents extra pain and often will decrease your pain. I am just making educated guesses here based on what's used for fibromyalgia, but I think it would be worth looking into. :smile:

I wouldn't be able to afford it...I mean, I live off $660 a month...which has to pay my rent and everything. I have no extra money...by the end of the month, I generally have to go without food b/c I don't have money to buy any.

I think I might have fibro actually...I have every symptom of it...even IBS and bladder spasms...I've been afraid to bring it up to my doctor though b/c last time I mentioned my pain she just told me it was my weight...which resulted in me nearly getting hospitalized again.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I wouldn't be able to afford it...I mean, I live off $660 a month...which has to pay my rent and everything. I have no extra money...by the end of the month, I generally have to go without food b/c I don't have money to buy any.

I think I might have fibro actually...I have every symptom of it...even IBS and bladder spasms...I've been afraid to bring it up to my doctor though b/c last time I mentioned my pain she just told me it was my weight...which resulted in me nearly getting hospitalized again.

Gosh, that is rough. I'd love to give you advice if you want it; of course I'm not a medical professional, but I feel comfortable at this point in my educational career to help people out. I do feel you on the money though...right now I'm like, I have $30 in the bank, do I want food or gas? :ohwell: I'd be a certified PT if I could afford the $300 exam :laugh: . I'm sure there are fibro support forums out there, and there are probably others who have had success with adding exercise. Like I said, what you're doing is correct, so keep up the activity you can handle, and add a minute each week. Don't try to work through pain, and if you want to use some resistance, use something really light, like a shoe or small water bottle 1/2 full.

It's tough to find a good doctor..I went through 3 gyno's before I found one that wasn't all 'up in my space' like "Hay, wanna hear a funny joke?!" Uhh....hehe...no:frown: But don't feel like you can't discuss things with your doctor, and let them know if they need to further explain something. That's their job!