How can you tell how fast you walking?

Options
As the title says really.. How do you tell how fast (mp/h) your walking? My gym is a 45 min bus ride away but I'm planing to get the train and walk 20-25 mins to it but want to know is there anything I can get to determine how fast I'm walking.. x x x x

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    There are various ways.

There are GPS watches that track your pace and distance but these can be expensive.

There are also websites like www.mapmyrun.com where you car retrace your route, which will give you your distance, which you then simply divide by the time it took you to walk it.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Just divide the distance it is to walk by the time it takes to walk there. So, if it is 1 mile away and it takes you 15 mins to walk, you are walking at an average speed of 4 miles an hour. Or if 1/2 mile away and it takes you 10 mins, you are walking on average 3 mph.

C
  • Larry7995
    Options
    You could measure it on the treadmill at the gym to get an idea how fast you are moving your legs to make say a 4mph walk, which is moving pretty good!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi, Try googling 'pedometer' these can be used to measure distance time speed etc I think, although I don't use one myself. I just walk a measured distance at my usual pace on a regular basis and cross check the time to work out my speed!

Good luck,

Regards, David
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Use google maps or another similar website to calculate the distance between your gym and your starting point. Then time how long it takes you. then do the math. If the route you walk is .5 miles and it takes you 15 minutes, you are walking 2 miles an hour.
    If it's a mile and you walk it in 20 minutes, then you are walking 3 miles an hour...etc. etc... does that help?

If you have a smart phone there are also a dozen apps that use GPS to calculate these things for you, like Map My Fitness and others.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you need a low tech way of calculating it, assuming you have access to a car, use the trip meter function in the odometer (so you can record. 10ths of a mile), and drive the route you plan to walk. Walk the route and once you know how long it takes you, you can use that along with the distance you have traveled to figure out your walking speed.

To make it simple, if you can walk a mile in 20 minutes, that equates to 3 miles per hour.
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I live exactly one mile away from my place of work so it's easy enough to work out how fast I am by how long it took me to get there.
  • cheangela
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, you can download Cardio Trainer. It will track time, distance, and keep a log of your workouts.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Measure the distance, and time yourself. if it is 1.5 miles and it takes you 25 minutes you waked a 16.7 minute mile (25/1.5) which is 3.6 mph (60min divided by 16.7 minutes per mile) So the full calculation would be 60 minutes, times it by 1.5 miles,divided by 25 min . 60*1.5/25 = 3.6 mph
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, you can download Cardio Trainer. It will track time, distance, and keep a log of your workouts.

Cardio trainer ............Fun to use as well..
  • mrs_km
    mrs_km Posts: 46
    Options
    Thank you every one for your replies. Im going to start by dividing the distance by the time as that seems the easiest and cheapest! Haha x x x
  • mrs_km
    Options

Just done this! Thank you. WIll be fun using it :D x x x
  • mrs_km
    Options
    Measure the distance, and time yourself. if it is 1.5 miles and it takes you 25 minutes you waked a 16.7 minute mile (25/1.5) which is 3.6 mph (60min divided by 16.7 minutes per mile) So the full calculation would be 60 minutes, times it by 1.5 miles,divided by 25 min . 60*1.5/25 = 3.6 mph

OMG thats so much easier to calculate then i initially thought! Thank you! :D x x x
  • mrs_km
    Options

How does the APP know how many calories I've burned? x xx
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If you tell the app your weight, it will figure it much the same way that MFP does (I assume) by calculating general heart rates based on body size and then time of activity...