Massage therapist

Options
minrudd
minrudd Posts: 5 Member
So I am a massge therapist and i do about 5 massages a day. Do you think these calories i shoudl beadded to my exercise totals? About half of the massage are deep tissue which takes a tole on the body. What do you think?

Replies

• bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    most definatley i would add them
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This should be included in your activity level, not exercise. If you are set at Sedentary you may want to change it to light active. This will give you more calories to work with everyday, without having to add it as exercise.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Activity Level. It's part of your normal daily activity so can't be counted as exercise. I have a desk job so I'm set as sedentary.
  • ktndj82104
    Options
    I am not really sure since your body is used to this. I think it falls under the category of when you do your goals about what you doing during the day it should be active and not lightly active or sedentary.
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with Eric. I teach, so I am on my feet and moving around 8 hours a day, but I don't count these as exercise. They are just daily activity, so my activity level is set to light. Exercise, IMO, in only that time dedicated to working out.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    While they are great exercise I would be wary of logging them as exercise. My sister in law is also a massage therapist but she only does it part time on weekends....so since it is not a daily exercise I would count it if I were her....if you normally do 3 massages a day but one day you do 6 I would log the extra 3....if anything I would change you daily activity level in MFP to active instead of sedentary..etc....someone posted a while back that she doesn't log anything as exercise that she doesn't do for exercise sake or that she did on a regular basis while she was fat...(not saying you are fat...that is how this poster said it). This poster didn't log vacuuming for examle because she ran the vacum daily when she was heavier than she wanted to be, or shopping etc or her work as a nurse...all things she was doing while gaining weight etc. Unless this job is new I would not log them as exercise unless you have a busier day than usual or only do them one or two days a week...otherwise just reset your activity level.
  • zhillsgirl
    Options
    I agree with erickirb.. he is correct. Your body adapts to your everyday level of activity. Thats why even with cardio and strength training you must switch it up, becausr your body adapts.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I too am a MAssage Therapist and I was logging massages as exercise - i did not lose weight. any weight at all. i also do pretty deep work and there are definitely times i break a sweat with a thicker client or a longer treatment, but i think because we're not spiking our heart rate in between appointments it doesn't really count. Plus, by NOT counting it I have been losing steadily since. I have lost 10lbs since January 10 and that's with eating well and daily exercise. My work is just not included in my calculations.
  • minrudd
    minrudd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I thought was ADL but was not sure. Thank you for the idea to log it if i do more than normal. i do between 10 and 20 a week right now.
This discussion has been closed.