Do you hate light dressing as much as I do?

Options
jesseBYAH
jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
I can't STAND light salad dressing! It's the one diet food that I just can't get into. I have tried all different kinds of brands, too. See, I like my creamy salad dressings- ranch, blue cheese, creamy ceasar- even though I know they're full of no-no's. I've tried for so long to find a light dressing that I like, and no luck. They all taste slightly sweet to me, which totally grosses me out.
So I thought I'd pass on a little advice to those that might be in the same boat as me- when I buy a creamy dressing, I use a little of it first so that there's some room in the bottle, and then I pour some water in there and shake it up to thin it out. You don't need a lot of water to make creamy dressing thinner, so it probably doesn't do a whole lot to its per-serving calorie rate. However, when my dressing is thinned out, I use SO much less! Thick and creamy dressings are hard to mix in with salad sometimes, and I often wind up dumping more on than I need. When it's thinned out, it's soooo much easier to mix it in with the salad, and a little bit ends up going a long way!
Next time you get a bottle of your favorite naughty dressing, give it a try. If you are especially attached to the thickness of dressings, then this might not be for you. But other than losing it's thickness, it doesn't diminish the dressing at all. It still tastes just the same!

WARNING: If you decide to do this, DON'T FORGET how thin your dressing is now! You may be used to a slow-pouring dressing, but when its thinned out, it comes out FAST! Just fyi. A few months back, I forgot to tell a friend of mine that I had thinned my dressing. I had made grilled cheese for both of us and she went to pour on a little ranch, and totally drowned her sandwich and my kitchen counter with it! Haha, don't make this same mistake!

Replies

• 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I don't know if you have Aldi's stores in your area, but their fit and active sun dried tomato dressing is amazing!!
  • blackchick38
    Options
    you are so so right i NEVER use anything LIGHT,i just go light on them.but the water thing i will def give it a go,i think its a great idea to have more for the same calorie.another new way of portion control.THANK YA GIRL
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Go to Galeos website. Bob on biggest loser got me started on there dressings they are awesome. Try the miso dijonaise and the sunflower ranch they are awesome and about 19 cals a tbsp

FYI if u want to make sure your dressing coats your whole salad make sure to put salad and the dressing in a tupperware container and shake it real good and then dump it on the plate.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    No
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I buy organic salad dressing. It's a lil high in fat but @ least it's organic.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I make my own. these days, or buy full fat, natural dressings. Vinaigrettes are VERY easy to make and extremely versatile and the full fat natural dressings have a lot more flavor than their other counterparts. The best part of both is that a litte goes a long way!!
  • jesseBYAH
    Options
    No

Oh... well that's good :) I'm jealous, haha. I really wish I liked them.
  • jesseBYAH
    Options
    Go to Galeos website. Bob on biggest loser got me started on there dressings they are awesome. Try the miso dijonaise and the sunflower ranch they are awesome and about 19 cals a tbsp

FYI if u want to make sure your dressing coats your whole salad make sure to put salad and the dressing in a tupperware container and shake it real good and then dump it on the plate.

I will definitely check out that site! Thanks for the tip :)
    As for the tupperware idea- yeah that definitely works too, but either way, I'm enjoying the thinner salad dressing. I dont always have a tupperware to shake it in, but when the dressing is thin enough, you dont even need to do that. Just pour a bit on and stir it just a smidge and it coats the salad pretty well. It just spreads easier :)
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Nope :) I actually really like it!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Some lights are ok, like hidden valley ranch. I tend to take a ranch "free" and mix it with a little regular ranch and it evens out to my liking.
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I love the light balsalmic, honey mustard, Catalina and Italian but the creamy ones... YUCK!!adding water is a good idea, also looks like some good suggestions have been posted, will come back and read later!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am a varied salad dressing person. I like all kinds.
    Just a question though, are you one of those people who doesn't like fruit on your salad? I love a little slice of strawberry or apple on my salad sometimes. I also enjoy both creamy and sweeter dressings. I am a big fan of vinegarettes. They are very easy to make. I like to do make a Tbsp of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sometimes if I have a orange, i'll make it an orange vinegarette. Yum.

Also, to your other friend who posted, I love Aldi's fit n active brand!!!

I guess I feel the same way about the cream in my coffee. I don't like fat free cream, it does not satisfy me. I am much more satisfied with a serving of light or regular cream. It all boils down to what you like. I find that if I'm not satisfied with what I'm eating (or drinking) I'm at a higher risk of over indulging. If I eat just one serving of what I like, I'm happy and more likely to stick to just one.
  • jesseBYAH
    Options
    I am a varied salad dressing person. I like all kinds.
    Just a question though, are you one of those people who doesn't like fruit on your salad? I love a little slice of strawberry or apple on my salad sometimes. I also enjoy both creamy and sweeter dressings. I am a big fan of vinegarettes. They are very easy to make. I like to do make a Tbsp of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sometimes if I have a orange, i'll make it an orange vinegarette. Yum.

Also, to your other friend who posted, I love Aldi's fit n active brand!!!

I guess I feel the same way about the cream in my coffee. I don't like fat free cream, it does not satisfy me. I am much more satisfied with a serving of light or regular cream. It all boils down to what you like. I find that if I'm not satisfied with what I'm eating (or drinking) I'm at a higher risk of over indulging. If I eat just one serving of what I like, I'm happy and more likely to stick to just one.
    Exactly, that's why I've been enjoying this solution. It prevents me from using too much so I can enjoy my salad with my mind a little more at ease!

About fruit in salad- yeah, I'm a freak, I can't do that kind of stuff, haha. I know it's weird. But sweet and salty do NOT mix well with me normally! Except in rare occasions like peanut butter and chocolate. I'm not a big sweets person at all.

I wish I had an Aldi's around here! Maybe I will pick some up next time I am out of town...
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    LOL! This idea is what a doctor passed on to me. He told me that it is the thought of my salad being wet. And he was right. When I started to add the water ( I put 2 tbl spoons of dressing in a small container) and then add the water and shake it. This works great and you are so right, it does not change the taste at all!! As a matter of fact I love the Marie's bleu cheese and it has no preservatives in it and very low in salt. He also recommended that in choosing a salad dressing that the ingredient of sugar be at least 5th or more listed on the label.
  • kursejohn
    kursejohn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressings. It's simple and satisfying. You control the ingredients.

I also feel, if you have one indulgence that you will allow yourself to have, then have it. It is only dressing!
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great idea's. Can't wait to try the water bit. Thanks for sharing.:smile:
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is just a suggestion, I havent ran the numbers or anything, but what if you bought the ranch packets (you know, to make your own dressing/dips) and used either a plain yogurt or light mayo, you can control the amount of flavor/powder you put in it as well as make it healthier with yogurt or something with less calories...

I personally dont care for creamy dressings, but I know what you are saying, even some of the vinegretts out there that are "light" dont taste right. Luckily my favorite dressing EVER only has 60 cals per 2 TBS. So I dont have to worry... Its Krafts sun dried tomato btw...
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Okay so just for fun.... Ok ok, I was bored at work.... Anyways I decided to run some numbers for you :tongue: I was pretty shocked in the difference.....

So these are the numbers for making your OWN ranch dressing from the hidden valley original ranch packet, mixing it with 14oz of FAGE Total 0% plain greek yogurt. ****I know the packet says to mix with 16 oz, I figure because greek yogurt is so thick you can make up the other 2 oz with 4 tablespoons of water to thin it out (2TB=1oz).

I am comparing the above "homemade" dressing to pre-bottled hidden valley original ranch dressing (Homemade #'s/bottled dressing #'s) This is per serving so 2 TB of dressing:

Calories - 16.25/140
    Fat - 0g/14g
    Carbs - 1.9g/2g
    Sodium - 138mg/260mg
    Sugar - .9g/1g
    Protein - 1.9g/1g
    Cholesterol - 0mg/10mg

How's that for a shocker? You can literally SLATHER your lettuce in ranch dressing if you make it yourself and not even come close to the amount of calories in the bottled stuff. :love:
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Thanks for the tip! I actually don't like how thick some of them are, so this is perfect :)

Pam
  • ERapp01
    ERapp01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I hate anything light!!