Help needed in figuring out calories burned

Options
Hi, new to the boards, but been using MFP for a month, lost 11 lbs, and working on losing the rest :)

Next month starts my busy weekends with taking my dogs racing. . it's amateur racing, it's a lot of fun. . They race 200 yds, and I walk that track quite a bit between walking my dogs to the starting line or catching my friends dogs, and I'm on my feet moving from 8:30-4:30 somedays, walking as much as 24 miles a weekend. .but I have no idea how to figure out how many calories I burn.

Any ideas? Trying to find a pedometer that might help out, used to have a good one that would tell me the calories burned, but alas, cant' find it :P

Replies

• TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you would benefit from a Heart Rate Monitor, HRM. Polar is a really popular brand on this website. I got one for Christmas and I love it. You can wear it when your running around with the dogs, pause it for lunch or down time and continue it when you start up again. But it definitely sounds like a HRM would work for this situation.
  • poarche
    poarche Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    when i walk, i use this application on my android called "My Tracks" it gives you your distance and time. if you divide the distance by the time you will get how many miles per hour you did. when you go to log it in the exercise diary you can log the amount of time and at which speed, it will automatically calculate your calories. You will have to strap your phone to you all day, have an android phone, and download the free app, but it really helped me. hope this helps!
  • rcschmidt6
    rcschmidt6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I am outdoors like that I use my android smart phone to track my movements using Google "my tracks". It will give you distance and time, avg speed and avg moving speed. It is not going to be an exact representation due to occasional satellite loss. That said it will be close enough to give you accurate feedback. You will only need to do that a couple of times to get a basic feel. At that point I would just use the information learned for making well educated estimates. Then plug the hours spent walking at your average moving speed into the exercise calculator and it should give you the info you need.

She beat me to it.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Here is one way you can do it....

Rate your level of effort 1-10 and that's how many calories you burn per minute. Sleeping is 1 cal per minute, running from a bear is 10!

Walking would probably be a 3-5 according to how fast you are walking!!!