Comments on my food diary please!

Options
If you have a moment I'd like you to take a look at my food diary and leave me comments about what you think I can do better, or if im right were i should be. I try to eat nothing but lean protien, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I've recently added a protein shake into my diet for after the gym.

ALL COMMENTS/CONCERNS/SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

Replies

• tweety170
    Options
    The type of foods you're eating look pretty good, but I don't think you're eating enough. This might result in big weight loss in the beginning, but it will also slow your metabolism and cause your body to hold onto those calories. You should be eating back some of the calories you burn. Overall--awesome job and good for you for making a positive change in your life. :)
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It look good to me! You're doing great keep it up...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are eating higher protein and lower carb than MFP suggests. If this is what you are trying to do you may want to go into your goals and change your % allocated to carbs/fat/protein, to better align with your diet. You can go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes to the % allocations, then click save changes. This will make it easier to see if you are meeting your own goals.

Whereas you have a fair bit of weight to lose you could go under the calories MFP suggests but I would try to at least be within 500, some days you are as much as 900 away. being 500 away would equal a 3 lb/week weight loss which at this point may be okay, but the closer you get to your goal the smaller your caloric deficit should be.

It also looks like you might be getting quite a bit of sugar, from all the yogurt and dairy. You don't have to follow MFP's sugar guidelines but just be aware and choose lower sugar options. For your yogurt you could opt for plain and add your own berries or fruit.
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree.. I think you need to eat more.
  • cjnorman
    Options
    Would you please go in and add sugar as one of the listed summaries? It would be good to see how much you are eating.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I would watch your sugar. Yogurts and fruit is good but the sugar will add up fast. try to reach for a water instead of a flavored drink. Don't drink your calories , eat your calories. The protein shakes are a good way to support your work out. Try adding oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast. They will fill you up and keep you full longer.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    Everything looks pretty good, but...(there's always a but...LOL) you need more protein. Whatever weight you want to be is about how many grams of protein you need to be consuming daily. Also, I notice you're eating ground turkey. If you like it great, if not might I suggest finding 4% ground beef. It's almost has healthy as the turkey and it tastes so much better. Also, if you want to buy a cookbook that can give you so many great ideas so you can have a nice variety of healthy tasty foods, I would recommend getting "Eating for Life", by Bill Phillips. We have been using it for 3 years now and it has helped us so much in our goal of being healthy.

Good luck in your journey to being healthy. Keep on a burnin'!!!!

Feel free to add me as a friend. I think we all need all the support we can get in our journey to being healthy.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think I would find leaner protein sources. I don't see a problem with going over on fat once in a while, but, not every day, or even more days than not.

Also, add a few more cups of water! :smile:
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :bigsmile:
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I would replace the Kellogg's cereal with plain oatmeal with perhaps some blueberries. More filling and with less additives.
    While the Kellogg's cereal presents itself as healthy, just read the food label to see how much junk they fill it up with.

If you enjoy cold cereals, look for shredded wheat, shredded wheat n bran or Muffets. These cereals have only one or two ingredients to them which is ideal. Add your own fresh fruit.

I'd also switch to an all natural protein powder.

Your diet is remarkably healthy looking and you are doing well in the veggie department! That's terrific.

There is an author Tosca Reno who writes the Clean Eating diet books. She has one out geared towards men. You may be able to find them at your local library.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I would replace the Kellogg's cereal with plain oatmeal with perhaps some blueberries. More filling and with less additives.
    While the Kellogg's cereal presents itself as healthy, just read the food label to see how much junk they fill it up with.

If you enjoy cold cereals, look for shredded wheat, shredded wheat n bran or Muffets. These cereals have only one or two ingredients to them which is ideal. Add your own fresh fruit.

I'd also switch to an all natural protein powder.

Your diet is remarkably healthy looking and you are doing well in the veggie department! That's terrific.

There is an author Tosca Reno who writes the Clean Eating diet books. She has one out geared towards men. You may be able to find them at your local library.

THANKS FOR THAT TIP! I'll totally look for it!

In regards to the kellogs, Typically i don't eat cold cereal, but instead of caving and binging on terrible food, i just snacked on a cup of dry kellogs, and it killed my craving. I will look into healthier choices next time though.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Food choices look good, the sugar in yogurt isn't that much. The whey protein you're using is alot cheaper than the "natural" stuff and isn't made with alot of unnecessary stuff in it. Not pure isolate, but very effective with it being part isolate.

I have to agree with PP's about not eating enough of your exer. cals. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

And this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I think overall it looks pretty good, but I agree with others about the sugar. Dried fruits (like the dried pineapple chunks) and the yogurt have either alot of sugar (pineapple) or articficial flavor/sweetner (yogurt). overall it looks really good and healty. You should substitue the flavored yogurt for fat free plain greek yogurt and flavor it with cinnamin, or almond extract and some agave nectar to sweeten it, which doesnt effect the glycemic index. Great job!!