How much do clothes weigh?

Options
Hey. :) I'm a student living in halls of residence, and as such, I don't have access to a pair of scales. So today, I decided to head down to Boots and use the scales there... however, four weeks in and I appear to have gained weight! But I was fully dressed - shoes, jeans, a jumper, a thick knee-length winter coat plus my handbag (containing cards, a few coins and my phone)! It was also the middle of the day, so I had eaten. How much weight do you think this would account for? My starting weight was taken fully naked and on an empty stomach, haha. :P

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    for all that clothing hard to tell..could be maybe 4-5 pounds..can u reweigh without shoes, coat and purse?
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would say about 5 lbs.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There isn't any way to tell unless you weigh everything that you were wearing. If you know that you will be weighing full clothed going forward, just log what your weight reflected most recently and move forward. You can't really do much about it now because if you try to calculate and deduct the weight of your clothes each time you may be way off. Good luck!
  • txsjhawk
    Options
    it will vary but usually it is suggested to subtract 2 lbs. That is normally just street clothes and shoes, it sounds like you had quite a bit more than that. If possible try to weigh in the same day of the week, near the same time and that will help give a more accurate picture.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Definitely think there would be some variation there! haha. Usually when I weigh during the day with clothes (normally light clothes) and no shoes...I have about 3-4lb weight gain, but it really just depends. If you go to a gym, you could try weighing there with less clothes (tshirt and shorts or gym pants).
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    take off the winter coat

take off the boots

and then it is less than 5 lbs. I remember reading an article on here about wet hair weighing a lot. lol. It doesn't weigh THAT much.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That's really a lot of things to take into consideration. I don't know about you, but my purse is SO heavy by itself! I'd suggest investing in a cheap scale that you can keep in your room to use. It'll be much more accurate than trying to weigh with all that stuff on you.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Honey, wearing that much stuff could add 5-10 pounds. My handbad alone probably weighs 3. It's so hard ofr me to say. I would recomend buying a scale to keep in your room. I assume you are in the UK considering you went to Boots so I'm not sure where to recomend you buy one. but my hubby and I got a digital scale for IKEA nad we love it.

Good luck! Don't get discouraged. I bet you did lose weight.
  • limonami
    limonami Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If your like me and have a heavy purse it can be 10 extra pounds LOL.
    But really it's hard to say.
  • lelegrev
    Options
    Clothes can weigh quite a bit. I always weigh myself naked, with an empty stomach and empty bladder. I vote go buy a cheap scale from the store. Doesn't have to be a fancy one.

My purse feels like it weighs 10 pounds.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no way to tell with all the variety in clothes, shoes, etc. I know you're a college student and most college students aren't exactly rich, but you can get a scale at Wal-Mart or Target or whatever you have near you for $15. Well worth the investment to be able to track your progress accurately.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    There's really no guessing room if you didn't weight yourself first thing in the morning. Definitely, grab yourself a scale soon and weight yourself first thing in the morning after peeing!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Most jeans are made of really heavy material so they're going to add a lot. Not to mention the winter coat!

If you've got a kitchen scale and a large plastic bowl you could weigh the clothes at home first.

I would suggest when you go down you always go down in the same outfit. That way you know the weight of the clothes won't change.
  • shallott
    shallott Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself at the same time every weigh-in and wear something similar as well, preferrably as little as possible to ensure that you stays consistant. Example, I weigh myself a the gym right after work while wearing my workout shirt and bottoms (no shoes).
  • mollianna
    Options
    I go by what the Wii Fit says. It says 2 pounds for light clothing and 4 pounds for heavy clothing. But I don't think that included shoes, a coat, and a purse. So take those off! Also.. I can count on a 2 pound fluctuation throughout the day based on food/drinks and fluid retention. So it is best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning.
  • rachaelemily
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I did think about removing my shoes, coat and bag... but I felt so silly, standing there in the middle of the shop. :P I'll invest in some cheap scales, and for the time being continue as normal. I wasn't sure whether or not I had lost that much weight, but I certainly didn't think that I had gained any! Thank you again. :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself at the same time every weigh-in and wear something similar as well, preferrably as little as possible to ensure that you stays consistant. Example, I weigh myself a the gym right after work while wearing my workout shirt and bottoms (no shoes).

I agree - and I would try to wear the same clothes every time you weigh-in.
  • whittytyler
    Options
    If I'm wearing high heels while weighing (I'm at work) does that fluctuate the weight up???
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    2-3 pounds for me, I often weigh a few times a day and that's the difference.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Just weigh in the same outfit every time.