Low carb diet and stomach pain

Options
I am currently starting week 2 of a low carb diet. I am experiencing pain in the right side of my abdomen that starts under my ribs and goes all the way down to my hip bone. I'm not having any nausea or constipation. Is this a normal side effect of this diet that will go away in time or should I be worried? Thanks!

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that we are snowed in and my doctor's office is closed. :-(

Replies

• christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You should consult your doctor, rather than us.
  • EmilyK3383
    Options
    It probably is a result of the diet and hopefully will go away. If not, quit the low carb part and start a diet thats low in fat and calories, and eat carbs moderately. I tried Atkins before and I was losing weight so I was happy but it messed with my female system, and I was getting my period like all the time. Ugh. Once I quit everything went back to normal!
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing low carb a while and no such pain.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You may be having fibroid issues or not drinking enough water for your kidneys. You should consult your doctor.
  • trina1975
    Options
    Unfortunately we are snowed in and my doctors office is closed.
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It could be your gallbladder too.
  • trina1975
    Options
    Nope, not gall bladder. Had that out when I was 25
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think any diet changes can cause odd pains. I'd drink lots of water and see if it improves. I'm not one to rush to the Dr. and try other modes first. You may also want to increase your fiber intake, which can decrease on a low carb approach to thinks, try something OTC to get the extra fiber you need. Also yoga or stretching may cause such pains to go away and get things moving. I agree search gallbladder and natruopathic approaches you can use until you can see a dr if the pain continues. I personally avoid the dr at all costs and try everything else first, just me.
  • trina1975
    Options
    I think any diet changes can cause odd pains. I'd drink lots of water and see if it improves. I'm not one to rush to the Dr. and try other modes first. You may also want to increase your fiber intake, which can decrease on a low carb approach to thinks, try something OTC to get the extra fiber you need. Also yoga or stretching may cause such pains to go away and get things moving. I agree search gallbladder and natruopathic approaches you can use until you can see a dr if the pain continues. I personally avoid the dr at all costs and try everything else first, just me.

Thanks. I'll try increasing my water and fiber. I know it's not my gallbladder though because I do not have one.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    It probably is a result of the diet and hopefully will go away. If not, quit the low carb part and start a diet thats low in fat and calories, and eat carbs moderately. I tried Atkins before and I was losing weight so I was happy but it messed with my female system, and I was getting my period like all the time. Ugh. Once I quit everything went back to normal!

Those pains would not be the result of a low carb diet.

And yes, Atkins (low carb in general) can make you hormones re-arrange themselves, it is the bodies way of detoxing.
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been limiting my carbs too (thought not drastically, I still eat about 30 grams a day) and last night for the first time I had a pain in my left side/midsection under my ribs too! No idea what it is, but it went away after 20 minutes. Probably just our bodies reacting to such a change! Fiber + water = good! If it continues, I would definitely schedule an appointment when the clinic opens again.
    Options
    Just wondering--
    Did you ever figure out what this was? I tried Atkins right out of high school and did great. I also still had a gallbladder. The last time I tried Atkins, (a couple of years ago) I had the pain in the upper right side you are talking about. I changed to another diet. I am trying Atkins again, since this is the one hubby wants to do, and I am having the pain again. I also have had my gallbladder removed. Each time I've had the pain has been since my gallbladder was removed. Thanks for your replies.
  • Shobuu
    Shobuu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Whats your macro split? Where do you get uour fiber?
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    are you constipated ? It can be bcuz of that though i am no Doc
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've been limiting my carbs too (thought not drastically, I still eat about 30 grams a day) and last night for the first time I had a pain in my left side/midsection under my ribs too! No idea what it is, but it went away after 20 minutes. Probably just our bodies reacting to such a change! Fiber + water = good! If it continues, I would definitely schedule an appointment when the clinic opens again.

30 g Carbs is drastic :flowerforyou: