Can not figure it out! Suggestions welcome!

Options
Ok MFP pals. Here's the scoop. I have been working out and staying within my calorie goals religiously since the beginning of December. I'm 193.7 pounds and I'm 5'4. I eat back about1/2-3/4 of my exercise calories every day. I KNOW I go over on my sodium a lot, but I've only lost 3 pounds since the beginning of December. Now, a little background. In October, I had my BF% and my muscle% taken at the gym, and I was like 52% BF. Yikes. On January 20 I was down to 43%. I don't know if these numbers mean anything, but I need to know what gives. Please give me some advice or suggestions on why I'm not losing at a faster rate. These .2, .4, .6 are fine because they are losses but seriously! I don't know what to do! There has to be a reason why I can't lose at LEAST a pound when I have my settings set to losing 1.5 a week. I'm training for a 5K so I run, do the arc trainer, Biggest Loser on the Kinect and Zumba. So is it my exercise calories (eating too much too little), something to do with my BF%, the type of exercise I'm doing, what is it! Thanks for your help in advance. My diary should be public. Thanks!

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    How does your clothes fit?
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    maybe your body is getting used to the exercises you're doing. Try changing things up. Add in weight training if you aren't all ready! Weight training will boost that lean muscle mass, which in turn will burn fat faster!

Hope that helps!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If you lost 9% body fat then it had to become something else if the scale didn't move, so it's either water (body is 60% water!) or it's muscle (since you likely didn't get taller). Either one is a HECK of a lot better than fat! :wink:

Cut down the sodium for a few days and up the water to see if it's water gain. If not, congrats on the new muscles!! It's likely a combination of the two (some water weight and some muscle over the 5-6 weeks that you've been working out).

Did you take measurements? If so, did those change?
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I cant view your diary but when you mention you are eating most of your calories, does this mean your NET calories (food-exercise)?
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Body fat% loss of 9% is awesome! Once you build up some muscle, the lbs will fall off. I'm having the same problem. :)
  • tcrawford13
    Options
    Well just really make sure you are adding every calorie accurately and then remember that it takes 3500 calories lost to = 1lb lost. When you are eating back part of workout calories make sure that you aren't messing up the count. If you lose 3500 calories a week that is a pund
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I no how u feel.
    I eat about 1,000 calories each day.
    I normally burn about 600 calories daily...
    Altho iv had to stop exercising so much because im building muscle and starting to get bigger.
    And i havent lost a pound for 2 years. Not a single ****ing one. And all i can think of is its wat i eat.
    ... But saying that i did the special k diet for 2 weeks and didnt loose anything then iver..
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I can't really tell in my clothes a whole lot. I've lost 2.75 inches- 1 from waist, one from my thighs and 3/4 from my arms. I keep trying with my old pants, and I can finally button one pair, but they are far from wearable. I'm eating my calories that are given to me (1440) and then I eat back 1/2-3/4 of what I exercise on any given day. So if I burn 400- I try to eat back 2-300 calories. I'll fix my diary so everyone can see it. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid tested? I ask because I have an underactive thyroid and it made it impossible to take off the pounds even when I was dieting and exercising correctly. Now that I am on corrective hormone therapy it makes it a little easier. Just a thought.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    rcrea- others have said that. I may have to look into it. :(