i have a qusetion

Options
i have been trying to lose weight for a while now i have been doing real good sticking with the calories and all the others but sodium i go way over is it real bad to go over on the sodium ??????????:indifferent:

20370.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• mead
    mead Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i have been trying to lose weight for a while now i have been doing real good sticking with the calories and all the others but sodium i go way over is it real bad to go over on the sodium ??????????:indifferent:

20370.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    I'd like to say, "No problem, salt it up!" because I do the same thing. Unfortunately, high sodium intake is linked to things like high blood pressure, just what losing weight is supposed to un-do!

Here's a good, trustworthy article about the risks and ways to avoid them:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • girldeese
    Options
    I wish I had the answer to your question, but you prompted me to look at my sodium, and for the time I have been on here mine is way UNDER?? Is that okay?? --to anyone who is reading this thread---
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the answer to your question, but you prompted me to look at my sodium, and for the time I have been on here mine is way UNDER?? Is that okay?? --to anyone who is reading this thread---

I hope it's okay because I'm always way under too.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? "Processed" foods tend to have a ton of sodium even if they are lower in calories. Take Noodle Cups for instance. I love the heck out of them, they aren't very high in calories, but they have close to my daily intake of sodium in ONE serving!!

I find the days that I pick up Lunchables or fast food or dine out are the days I kill my sodium.

Hope that helped shed some light.....:flowerforyou:
  • Baigle2003
    Options
    To be honest I struggle too. I find that a personal trainer kicks my butt and keeps me in tip top shape. They are expensive, and you might not be able to see one weekly, but even once a month, will keep you on track. Good luck, you can do this!
  • reet34
    Options
    So what is the recommend daily intact of sodium? I never even think about it...
  • amethystx
    Options
    Under is good! Way under is better.
    In addition to high blood pressure... not good, sodium can cause you to retain water. Ergo, weight gain is a very real possibility sad-052.gif
    even though your intake of calories, fat, etc. were o.k.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I found this info.
    USDA recommends:
    Sodium: less than 2,400 grams
    Fat: 65
    Cholesterol: 300
    Carbs: 300
    Fiber: 25
    Protein: 50
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I found this info.
    USDA recommends:

Hmmm...I was just looking at my settings here. Mine are set lower than this 'cept for the sodium, which is 100g higher. Wondering if I should go in and change it mannually.
  • BrenNew
    Options

I found this info.
    USDA recommends:

Hmmm...I was just looking at my settings here. Mine are set lower than this 'cept for the sodium, which is 100g higher. Wondering if I should go in and change it mannually.

No, don't do that! They're lower because you're trying to lose weight, so MFP is figuring that in.
  • punka274
    Options
    Holly Crap:noway: this thread had me thinking so i decided to look at my sodium from yesteray(since the scale was up a lb) and i went OVER 3,883 is sodium! I knew i would with soup for lunch and a boars head turkey hot dog for supper:sad:

Thanks for starting this thread! Ive now included sodium as one of the things i watch!:smile:

I have a question! If i drink water like a race horse today you guys think i could flush out all that sodium before my official weigh in tommorrow?
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout do you do?

(This is not a doctor's advice and only a product of research. People can and do disagree with this point of view.)

Don't forget that if you work out in the heat, sweating HEAVILY, you need the sodium. Sodium, potassium, and calcium are crucial to muscle contraction (heart is a muscle). Some is crucial to life, and your needs should be personalized. Don't just do a low sodium diet, "just because everyone says it's healthier." People eliminating sodium in their diet are often eliminating other unhealthy things and in general are more health conscious. A recent study in the UK refutes some of what we "know" about sodium.

If you workout hard, do a google search on "athlete sodium intake" or something along those lines, and it should answer all your questions.

If you don't workout that hard or frequently, ignore this post.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I found this info.
    USDA recommends:

No, don't do that! They're lower because you're trying to lose weight, so MFP is figuring that in.

Oh. OK. :smile: I won't change a thing. Thanks for telling me. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    On days I intake lots of "extra" sodium (like when I go eat at a Mexican restaurant.... yummy!), I make sure to drink extra water to flush my system. However, too much sodium causes migraines for me so my reason for flushing it out is two fold.
  • BrenNew
    Options

I found this info.
    USDA recommends:

Oh. OK. :smile: I won't change a thing. Thanks for telling me. :flowerforyou:

You're very welcome! :smile: