Not proportional

Options
My waist is not in proportion with the rest of my body. According to all size charts and waist-hip ratios I need lose 2-2 1/2 inches from waitst. What exercises should I be doing? It's true that my waist is not at all toned. Is it the food I eat?

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat, but you can spot-tone. Doing ab exercises will help, but until you lose the fat from the mid-section, you aren't going to see the full results. You should be doing strength and toning exercises for you whole body, even if you can't see the results yet :) Hope that helps.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    3 factors: genetics, food, exercise.

Eat more frequent, smaller meals throughout the day instead of giant meals 2-3 times a day. Make it a rule to eat more veggies than carbs (1/2 the plate should be plants).

As for exercise, do full-body strength training. I try to sell this on every post because it's true. You can slave on a cardio machine for hours and see no change in your waist. If you do strength training (with weights or bodyweight) you'll be building muscle and your fat stores will shift so that the muscle has immediate access to that energy. What this means is that you'll look more proportional.
  • marieisthecool
    marieisthecool Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I sure don't know how to fix this, because it's my problem too! I am posting so that I can easily see what others answer :)

I don't do any extra core training and I love my fats(nuts, avocado CHEESE) I assume that's why it's my problem area. I always think that I should do sit ups and crunches before bed or when I wake up, but that usually lasts about a week and then I stop.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    That is so me! ooking at size charts my hips are an 8-10 but my waist a 16 or 18 YIKES> I used to always wear a 14 and somehow stretch out the waist! Now I have 2 size 12 pants, some 14's that still fit and some 14's that are too big. All my XL belts are too big now too!!! The first 3 weeks I shed 2 inches from the hips but only 1 from waist , but now I have lost about 3.5" from both.

I think food is a big factor. I never eat HFCS or transfat anymore. I try to eat as clean as possible and I don't eat very many starchy foods. Lots of protein, fruits and veggies. You can look at my diary if you want.. I will send you a friend request!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise! If you don’t have an exercise routine you need one, if you do add some abdominal work to your routine, do not try to set aside a separate time to do your abdominal work. Like said above until you get rid of the fat you won’t see the full effect of your workouts, BUT you will see progress, and unless you exercise you will never have that slim, toned waste line you are looking for.